Profile Templates

CovertSphinx

I realize that some of us use mandatory templates for character applications and some of us prefer not to. By template, I'm off course talking about specific information fields like "Name", "Age", "personality", "history", etc - NOT fancy smancy layout stuff.

Traditionally, I've always set up some sort of mandatory bare minimal because early in the long-ago past I've gotten too many character apps that were so atrociously vague that the member thought they could add any abilities they wanted per thread. But I can also see where there might be some benefits to NOT providing a mandatory app. Which way do you guys do it?

And secondly, regardless if the member fills out a specific template or not, is it appropriate for the staff to ask said members to add anything extra once the application is submitted before the profile will be approved?

Lastly, does anybody use an "Automatic approval" set up where the member can start posting with that character right away; with the condition that staff may ask the member to tweak a couple of things or be inactivated?

• I read this! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

2 hours ago, CovertSphinx said:

I realize that some of us use mandatory templates for character applications and some of us prefer not to. By template, I'm off course talking about specific information fields like "Name", "Age", "personality", "history", etc - NOT fancy smancy layout stuff.

Traditionally, I've always set up some sort of mandatory bare minimal because early in the long-ago past I've gotten too many character apps that were so atrociously vague that the member thought they could add any abilities they wanted per thread. But I can also see where there might be some benefits to NOT providing a mandatory app. Which way do you guys do it?

And secondly, regardless if the member fills out a specific template or not, is it appropriate for the staff to ask said members to add anything extra once the application is submitted before the profile will be approved?

Lastly, does anybody use an "Automatic approval" set up where the member can start posting with that character right away; with the condition that staff may ask the member to tweak a couple of things or be inactivated?

I do the exact same thing for the exact same reason. A mandatory app with specific fields allows you to know whether a character or the member behind them is too overpowered. Bunch of overpowered characters = ruined atmosphere of game in my opinion. So yeah, I have them if only to ensure everything is kept in line with the setting.

In my opinion, it's always justified. One example, they might have some custom magic spell that has the potential of being troublesome if used in X way. So asking them to elaborate and cover every aspect of it is merely covering all your bases.

Another example, the member meets the minimum paragraph count or whatever you have for a certain section, but leaves out some pretty vital stuff regarding their history (they might touch briefly on a past trouble and elude to some god tier power in the process). No harm asking for more clarification there either.

I generally ask for more if there's something that throws up a red flag, because I prefer it explained so I can be comfortable in approving it.

I don't use that, I've always used the rule approval before play. But there are times where literally every app is fine, just one after the other zero problems, and those times I wish I could lift that rule and just have let those people jump right in. But again, going back to first point, I have the rule there in the same way I have mandatory app: to make sure the bad eggs don't make a mess.

• I read this! 3

Guest Archaic Cyborg

I always require applications, and they usually have the basic foundation fields: personality, general appearance, abilities/strengths & weaknesses: which covers everything from magic to professions to swordplay to firearms to a weakness of iron for fae characters. Then there's history, and sometimes an extra/misc field, for details that don't fit in the other categories.

Generally, I use the application process to review how well a player knows their character and the game world, be it canon or fandom or a mix. I wouldn't accept an app where it's vague as fuck, if the player is clearly skirting around a plot event or if they don't want to explain X or Y. If a character has immunity to ____, we need to know about it, because over-powered characters aren't fair or realistic. Even in a high fantasy world, or a superhero setting, a character can't literally win all the time.

The app also helps the staff tell if the actual player can, well, play by the rules and the world guidelines! It's just a headache if the applicant is pushy and argumentative, insisting that they must play their nekomimi demon in a real-life game 'because that's the character'. Real life =/= half-human, half-cat animanga characters. I remember a case from a few years ago, when a player was accepted into the game, but they kept on piling one request after another, getting more and more ridiculous.. and it wasn't a troll.

I do not have apps or a process to apply. People join, make character accounts, and play. We do have profile fields on the accounts that people are more than welcome to fill out but that's not mandatory. They can fill out whatever they want. I do have a note in the rules that staff always has the option to ask for changes if they do anything setting breaking. I've never had to do it but I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for a change if they're breaking the setting.

• I read this! 2

Reality is an illusion. 

• Admin

I am like @Zozma normally there is an option but it's normally not mandatory. Profiles are tedious to me. While I think they can certainly help you round out a character most of the time I just want to get in and play. I'll throw together a stock app (if I don't have one already in my repertoire to regurgitate) and then get to playing ASAP.

The character building is in the playing for me.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Personally, as both an admin and as a member, I prefer a mandatory template. As a member, no apps or apps that you make yourself as a member freak me out a bit. I like direction, and I like filling out templates themselves! As an admin, over the years I have had troubles with things not being stated clearly, so having a mandatory template helps with keeping things in check.

I think it is entirely acceptable for staff to ask members to add extra things; I find that often members leave details out that may need to be included, or have parts in them that just don't belong in the world. Like stated above with a real life website, and someone wanting to be a fantasy character or whatnot.

Lastly, while I don't exactly have it stated anywhere, I technically do have an 'automatic approval' thing going on. Typically I will read someone's app (usually right after they post it), let them know what needs to be changed via PM if anything at all, and in the same PM let them know that they can start posting as they fix up their app. With restrictions of course; if the character breaks the site rules or lore, then I can't exactly let them start playing right away!

• I read this! 2

Ex Vino Veritas