What, to you, is a large site?

Cloud

So, been lurking on various Directories for a while and a lot of people in their "I'm looking for..." threads state they don't want a large site, as in too many members or too many posts already established. I've run sites that hit 1,400 Registered accounts and abandoned that forum because I felt the number was too big. I'm starting to hit large numbers again and am fearful that it's hitting that point of scaring off people due to it's size. 

So, I'm curious. To you, when does a site become classified as a "Large Site" 

Edited by Cloud

newersig.png

For myself my site classifications are:

Small - up to 100 members and 5,000 posts.

Medium-small - 100 to 1,000 members and 5,000 to 15,000 posts.

Medium -  1000 to 5,000 members and 15,000 to 100,000 posts. 

Medium-large - 5,000 to 10,000 members and 100,00 to 500,000 posts.

Large -  20,000 to 50,000 members and between 500,000 to 1 million posts. 

Supersize - 50,000+ members and over 1 million posts. 

Note that when I say member, I mean individuals... So this means no duplicate accounts. So if you have a person with 20 IC accounts, only their OOC one would count. This means that a site's registration size can be huge... but still have very few actual members. (I mean it's entirely possible for a site to have 100-150 accounts but only like 10-15 members if they all have multiple accounts. )

Though I don't think size of a site matters so much as activity level. I mean any site can get a huge swell of registrations at any time (like if suddenly spambots get through) but that doesn't mean that much really. For my activity classifications... Activity levels are:

Low - between 1-10 posts a day.

Medium - 10-40 posts a day.

High - 50+ posts a day. 

And these I think are more important because you can have a large site that gets maybe 10 posts a week compared to a smaller site that sees 15 a day.

That said I think that closing because you're getting too large is kind of a bad idea. I mean people are joining because you're doing something right. They like what they see. And to suddenly close, denying everyone the chance to play, because of that just seems strange to me. 

• I read this! 3
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

44 minutes ago, VirusZero said:

That said I think that closing because you're getting too large is kind of a bad idea. I mean people are joining because you're doing something right. They like what they see. And to suddenly close, denying everyone the chance to play, because of that just seems strange to me.

The site had died a long time ago, well, more concluded. I got out of forum roleplaying for probably five years and decided not to use the remains of an old board to have "Fabricated Numbers." 

Sorry if I didn't clarify. 

• I read this! 1

newersig.png

For me the number of posts has no importance. A site can be small and have 10,000 posts because it has been alive for a long time. The writers' count matters in establishing how large a site is. I think under 15 is small, between 15 and 60 is medium, over 60 is large.

• I read this! 4

• Admin

30 or more active and playing members is a large site to me (20 sometimes is big too). I also don't do it by post count as I have a personal private site that has over 100K posts on it and over 75% of it are just myself and one other player.

• I read this! 3

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I can't really break "Large" down into an exact number split, but when I see that there's 20+ accounts logging in over the last 24 hours, I start to feel a little "out of my comfort league"; but normally see if I can gauge whether its just characters or individual members.

• I read this! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Given that my site has an account per character thing going on, we tend to look larger than we are. 

But a "large" site in my opinion is over 30 members but I don't pay any attention to the number of accounts or characters since some sites don't delete old/abandoned ones, others have no character limit, etc.

• I read this! 2

I think to me, a large site would be like 50 members, not accounts cause most of the sites, if not all of the sites that would interest me would be the ones that have an account per character, not an account per member.  That's where a who's who/member directory/whatever you call it thread comes in handy because it lists the individual members and what characters they play so you can tell if all the accounts are actually different members or if there is a small amount of members and a giant amount of characters.

Although I don't actually know what that would be like because I suck at being on multiple sites so I usually just stick to one site and that one site is usual a pretty small site.

• I read this! 2

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

Cloud, that makes more sense. I thought it was more like a site hit member count of 1500 and then suddenly it closed because of popularity. Not a case of a rebooted/resurrected site.

I should also mention that some of the numbers I've thrown out there have to do with backend mechanics too. I mean a self-hosted site when it reaches a certain size (medium-large) it might be too much for a standard shared hosting package. So they may have to upgrade to a more powerful service (like a Virtual Private Server). Large sites though will almost certainly need to be on a VPS if not a dedicated server of their own. Supersized sites will most assuredly need to be dedicated servers.

Although that aspect may not be something most consider if using a free host (who likely has multiple servers anyway).

• I read this! 2
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I don't really view a site as a certain size by merely looking at the number of accounts, because that doesn't always give an accurate portrayal of activity, posting-pace, etc. I tend to check the online-list and if there has been over fifty accounts online in the last twelve hours, I personally begin to feel a little daunted. That is what I would consider large.

• I read this! 3

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

Guest Archaic Cyborg

To me, a small site could be under 10 members just as much as a site with 30 members. It depends on the community atmosphere sometimes, because if there's just a handful of people playing with each other and ignoring the rest, that can make an otherwise large community-- feel tiny.

I usually see either polar opposite; small or huge. Under 15-20 players, or 80+ players. I generally count a site's size by the individual player number, not character count.