Overcoming Writer's Block

CovertSphinx

What does everyone do to overcome a lack of muse?

Whether it be for world building, a particular character (I used to have different techniques that worked with different types of characters), plot, etc.

• I read this! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I've read many good authors, professional authors, insist that you just power through it. You tell your self doubt to shut up, remind yourself you can edit it later (and that means *later*, but not while you're initially writing), and you just write whatever comes, no matter how bad.

Most writer's block comes down to being afraid what you're thinking of isn't good, or your words can't do justice to the concept that is in your head.

This isn't to say this is an easy thing to do, but like any habit or any skill, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Edited by USS Joshua Norton
Clarify
  • I read this! 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I don't believe in muse either. I believe in writing discipline and in research. I believe in the saying that “writing is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration” – ie research and perseveration. I never "lose muse", I might be only too tired or too preoccupied by something else to be able to write until I solve that problem. Or I might need more research in order to write that post.  So, it is up to me to realize why I can't write and proceed consequently.

I have problems with writing when I am worried, extremely tired, preoccupied by something else (a deadline at work, problems at home, a quarrell with my mother). Because then I must either sleep if I am tired, or solve first the problem which monopolizes my brain (or let out steam through physical activity if solving isn't possible, how it is the case with quarrels with my mother - she'd never understand she did/ said something wrong, and she is impossibly stubborn).

But once I am rested again, I sit in front of the computer, I copy the posts I owe my replies to in word, and I look at them. One of them might still look to you better/ easier than the others, and once you start writing, continuing will be easier. I advise you even to start writing from the middle of the post, if a certain line gives you the slightest inspiration/ if you know how to reply to that particular fragment. Usually once you start writing - and the first phrase you write is the most difficult, then it will get easier - more phrases will flow, and a post after another you complete. 

Whenever I'm in a slump, I usually just try to power through it with posts. If I'm lucky, one of them will recapture my interest and I'll feel better again. If that doesn't work, I try to understand why. What stops me from writing - and the answer, in most of those cases, is that I don't see clearly in my mind the scene, that I need a few more details - and this means researching more until I can imagine it or talking with the writing partner.

Usually with powering through (after a good sleep/ rest)  something will rejuvenate my inspiration.

With reading or watching inspiring movies, listening to inspiring songs, inspiration comes through association of ideas. If I really can't write, I do research for writing later. It gets into reading, again... But if I give up and space out... then no inspiration will come back.

In general, to keep myself inspired, I get my inspiration from everywhere, through association of ideas. I can draw inspiration from songs, movies, persons around me, books, things I overhear... Even youtube folk dances of various peoples. Going out for a walk as quiet time to think over plot points, corroborated with, later or before, talking with people and getting excited about posts and plots helps with inspiration too.

• I read this! 2

I'm like Elena. I don't every really lose 'muse' or experience 'writer's block'. I do, however, lose interest. So I think the first thing that someone experiencing a loss of muse or whatever you want to call it needs to do, is to identify whether you're just not interested in the setting you're writing in anymore/the characters you're writing, or if you're too preoccupied outside of writing at that moment in time.

If I've lost interest, I try and find a way to make it interesting for myself again or I find a new place and new people to write with. If I'm just preoccupied outside of roleplay/writing, I wait until I have the time to sit down in front of the computer and I just power through it. I often find that once I get a few sentences down, the rest is so much easier and all of a sudden I'm having fun again. :T

• I read this! 1

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

• 4 weeks later...

Given my mindset explained above, I have problems with writing when I am worried, extremely tired, preoccupied by something else (a deadline at work, problems at home, a quarrell with my mother).

Right now, I find that my mind is blocked for writing (on any of the 2 sites I am on) following an emotionally-consuming dispute/ controversy on one of them. The issue (which shouldn't have been an issue in the first place) had been solved constructively :D, but it left me mentally drained and generally disappointed. There are a few days and I can't succeed to focus on writing on any of the sites.

I am trying to start with catching up on the site where there is no emotional block connection... but still nothing comes. Any ideas how to jumpstart creativity again in these particular conditions?

• I read this! 2

Are you experiencing this drain/block anywhere else in your life, or just your RP?

If it's everywhere, do something to pamper yourself: have a self spa day/night, indulge in a book you've been meaning to read, sit down with whatever food you find comforting and watch a movie, etc. Just relieve the stress and recharge.

If it's just your RP that's suffering, go back and reread old plots you really enjoyed, or ones that lead directly into what you owe responses to, to remind yourself what you enjoy about the games.

If neither of those help, maybe try writing out what's bothering you? It could be there's something else your subconscious thinks wasn't handled, and if you can figure out what that is, you can either show yourself it HAS, or figure out what needs to be done to fix it?

• I read this! 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Thank you, @Death Kitten! Yes, I think first writing what is bothering me, then reading old threads might help now, as it is only writing-related. <3

Finding a solution to a conflict of opinions in order to go further doesn't mind that some disappointments aren't there, just because "treat the others how you want to be treated" seems to often apply only from my part to others (in general). And yes, maybe until I find the proper words to write them down, be it in my mother tongue, they are going to stay there and not allow me to write...

• I read this! 1

I usually search for things that I would associate with what I want to write about and let my mind go fuzzy. Before I know it, I'm creating a story around the things and getting on a roll

• I read this! 1

Chief of Security 

USS Joshua Norton

poke_clash.png

Posting wise when I get writers block I just force myself through it.  Yes, the first post or two comes out forced and struggling but the rest usually flow after!

• I read this! 1

Reign Over Me

Medieval Human RPG/Proboards

Plenty of Noble positions available and plot driven!

N0Qhnsj.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

button4_zpsyb53wxeh.png

Canis

Wolf RPG Set 16000 years in the past

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Read! Read books that relate to your RP, be it historical, sci-fi, dystopian, fantasy. Bonus inspiration points if the writer's style matches your own (or vice versa), if it's a style you particularly love! Next up are movies, but they can be simpler, or more difficult; it depends on whether you prefer watching things or reading. And how long you take to read a series, that sort of thing.

Something that I have recently tried doing and found extremely effective for myself is creating a posting schedule! I open up google calendar and I block off time for what posts I am going to write. Each individual post that I need to make gets a block of 30 minutes, 45 minutes, or 1 hour depending on how long I think the reply would/should take. I also make sure to schedule in breaks! Its a wonderful feeling when I am working through my schedule and I get ahead of it, or if I'm really struggling with a post and I know that if I get it done I will have a break to read/eat/watch a 30 minute episode of a show.

Aside from that, character-specific music helps me a lot...especially soundtracks from my favorite movies and shows (Ramin Djawadi's music from Game of Thrones is a lifesaver for me; as well as the Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron soundtrack)

• I read this! 1

Other RPGs I support:
ypmTeWx.png wvEkwVX.png

Music often helps me get through something. I like to make playlists of my character, or rps in general so that when I am writing I can listen to them and when I am in a writing funk I can listen to them to hopefully jump start my brain. If that does not work I have found some mindless fun helps too. Gaming has often been that mental break I needed in order to get my creative juices flowing once again. 

• I read this! 1
mrgx9Op.png