What do you see too much of? What do you see not enough of?

Rune

What character types are you tired of seeing? What would you like to see more of?

Personally, I have yet to see a character from Mexico. A handful from Spain, no Mexicans. Which is a weird thing to notice, but I had too much time to think.

I'm also terribly tired of the Girl who had wonderful childhood, has a single bad thing happen and then her parents shun her/she can't handle it and freaks out characters.

Edited by Rune
  • I read this! 3

• Admin

The straight man turned gay. I feel awful saying it but it really does aggravate me a bit. >_<

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

32 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

The straight man turned gay. I feel awful saying it but it really does aggravate me a bit. >_<

I'm guilty of it, but really only because I kind of just shove a sexuality at a character and go "Sure, whatever" and if it changes, it changes. I've also had gay characters go straight and characters go in every which direction. It's an aspect of characters I very rarely set in stone.

• I read this! 3

• Admin

I think it's less the sexuality and more that I feel that characters feel more arbitrary about the sexuality. Like they will change the IC feelings to make something work because they don't have faith that the core of the character will work.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

I had such a character too, but I think that a man who is more sensual than sentimental could have been, at a certain moment, seduced by a man (for the first and last time of his life). And their relationship, as long as it lasted, was special. It wasn't as if he was suddenly turned gay forever and dismissed women. No, if left to his devices, his life would have comprised several women and a special man. Since that relationship didn't last, it remained a tender memory, and no man would be like Jamie to make him feel complete.

@Rune, I have a Mexican, a Spaniard, a Venezuelan, a woman from Santo Domingo, some Cuban people... (The first three full characters, the others reoccurring NPCs... but they are still characters).

I have seen far too many pirate women and too many young ladies running away from marriage and getting a scandalous life.

Edited by Elena
  • I read this! 1

I have seen too many really badly written female characters. Specifically they'll be some angry bipolar sex pot written by a boy who doesn't seem to want to do anything but put them into relationships... Then gets upset when no one wants to write softcore with them.

Admittedly, this is one player that I'm thinking of, but I don't think I've seen him write anything else more than a log or two. He writes then super shallow, super sex kitten, and then uses pictures that focus more on the sexy half dressed nature of the character than on anything else.

• I read this! 7

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Too many gay men played for the gay kink. Or really, gay kink in general. It should be close to zero.

I want to see more traditional fantasy, not so much medieval worlds-- but settings with actual dragons and centaurs and nature spirits. Less LOTR and GOT copy-cats and more of the other stuff!

I also want to see more respect given for disabilities and disorders. No more of that 'character isn't interesting unless they have 4 disorders with a Dark Past and constant Pity Parties!122!'. Fuck off. Disorders are not fashion accessories or trendy labels.

Okay, here's one that's primarily a Star Trek sim thing, but I suppose it can apply to any rp with military characters... But we see all these brass level characters that are action heroes running around the 'verse when brass are supposed to be desk jockeys. I mean, that's part of the reason James T Kirk gets demoted back to Captain during the TOS era movies, he wouldn't stay behind a desk.

You want to play a hero, you play a lower ranked character, or you refuse your promotion.

• I read this! 4

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Orphans and, "I killed Mommy/Daddy/Sibling and now it haunts me forever".

Convenient for specific qualities desired in the mobility of a character, usually. I just still see way more of it than "normal upbringing" characters. And I'm guilty of it too with a few of them.

Edited by CovertSphinx
  • I read this! 5

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• Admin
31 minutes ago, CovertSphinx said:

Orphans and, "I killed Mommy/Daddy/Sibling and now it haunts me forever".

Convenient for specific qualities desired in the mobility of a character, usually. I just still see way more of it than "normal upbringing" characters. And I'm guilty of it too with a few of them.

My boyfriend calls them the Bruce Wayne's.

I feel like I don't see enough roleplayers. I mean you'd think out of all the sites that I've ever seen/played on, that one character would be a roleplayer.

• I read this! 4

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Roleplayers don't exist in roleplay. It'd be too meta. (Role-ception anyone? A character playing a character playing a character.)

Sort of like how in Walking Dead they have no concept of what a "zombie" is. They just don't have that term. (Which is why they all call them different things... Walker, biter, shambler, rotter, etc...)

As for things I've seen too much...

Lone wolves. 

I get you want your character to be a badass... but look, the enemies are stronger than you by a fair margin. In pure one vs one they're going to shred you. It's why command sends out groups instead of single hunters. (Well, there are a few single hunters they send out... but they are the exception rather than the rule and their strength is off the chart because they're the protagonists from the series.)

And yeah, I'm guilty of having a character that's a bit of a lone wolf too.

For what I want to see more of?

Proud soldiers...

Those willing to follow orders, not decide part way through that they'd rather do something else instead. Those who follow their orders exactly, maybe questioning them but only to themselves. Even in cases when the orders are pretty horrible and disgusting but may be necessary. And of course willing to work with others (even if it means setting aside differences) to get the job done.

• I read this! 6
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

6 hours ago, Morrigan said:

My boyfriend calls them the Bruce Wayne's.

I feel like I don't see enough roleplayers. I mean you'd think out of all the sites that I've ever seen/played on, that one character would be a roleplayer.

I have a vampire that not only plays tabletop games, RPs in MMOs and on the odd forum. He's tons of fun. And has had to explain RP to more than one person... Which is me RPing someone that RPs explaining RP in RP... To someone that RPs... 

I enjoy that all these differ wildly based on our respective genres.

• I read this! 6

Generals who are still teenagers. Even in a medieval setting I'm not keen on that, it just seems ridiculous having what is basically a kid running an army, when there would be much more experienced candidates out there. Hell, I'll say I even think 30 is too young for such a character. Make them old and grizzled or don't bother.

• I read this! 2

Pseudo-God characters. Whether or not they actually Power Play or God Mod in the RP itself, everybody seems to have at least one or two characters that are just "all powerful" without doing any of the work to earn it.

• I read this! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I'm tired of seeing female chars who were "raised at a farm" just turn out to be the most experienced serial killer who leaves no evidence or whatsoever and can kill you with "literally a spoon" as soon as they turn 15 y/o . I think they dropped this thing called 'realisticness' let me help them pick it up...

• I read this! 4