Stupid Rules

Rune

I think, probably, what inspires the latter there, @Honorem, is these people have probably seen rule sets similar to the one I use, wherein it lists out the main point of the rule and then elaborates under it ( some of them do occasionally require elaboration, or extra information ). So they're attempting to copy this style, and yet don't actually grasp what the elaboration under it really is. Thus, they ramble. This one, for instance:

005 FCs/PBs are mixed media. Do not steal artwork.
— You're welcome to abstain entirely, if you'd rather, PBs are not required.

So it looks neat, but there's actual substance there that seems to slip through the cracks. Lol

My biggest problem with rule sets aren't even entirely the rules themselves; I've seen some pretty crazy stuff over the last decade, and honestly nothing really surprises me or strikes me as really off -- if I walk away from a site over its rules, it's probably because of the tone ( you know, that tone, that tells you this admin is like maybe 14 at best and it shows in the worst way ), or because there are like 50 rules and each of them has a nice huge 8-10 sentence paragraph under it explaining it further. I once found a site that had about 40 rules broken into like three posts, and each post had a hidden magical app word for bonus screw this points hidden in the huge paragraphs. It was a real life site. ... it seems to be them that are often terrible for rules.

Man, listen, I can barely find the justification for ten rules. My site has a skill system, runs on dice rolls, is an extremely AU member of its fandom, even spins off a spin-off of its canon, and has like 93749548345 systems attached to it, and I didn't even hit 8 rules. Why are you like this.

• I read this! 4

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

• 1 month later...

Word count rules are annoying in general because no matter what you have, someone will complain or abuse it.

Basically I feel a player should have the courtesy to post something that can be replied to, that has a response to what happened and something to move forward with. Logically that would usually entertain at least a 200 word count.  

We have no word count to allow for those times when a thread needs some back and forth banter or dialogue, however, it does allow the players to creep in that let their writing partner do all the creative work and feel like they are always steering the story line and when reading their reply think to themselves: "What am I supposed to do with that?" 

Edited by Dusty
typos oops!
  • I read this! 1

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

Guest Archaic Cyborg

'You must have 15 different icons and they are -' yeah, no.

Character creation rules aka 'post 60 times before you make a new character'. I could tolerate a low #, but... it'd be so low, what's the point of the rule then?

'Log in daily, every day, with all your accounts'.

• 2 weeks later...

I once saw a site that would not let you advertise there unless you had been a member of the forum for 6 months.

Unless they posted on your site first, in which case you were allowed to link back.

I made the human equivalent of ????????????????????? as an expression and then x'd out.

• I read this! 2

• 7 months later...
  • Admin

"Don't be a dick" or similar verbiage.

To me it indicates the staff are elitist assholes that are unable to articulate themselves beyond such annoyed sarcasm. It also indicates to me that they don't know what sort of behavior they want on their site so they thing a generalized rule will suffice for them to wave around the ban hammer.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

8 hours ago, Morrigan said:

"Don't be a dick" or similar verbiage.

To me it indicates the staff are elitist assholes that are unable to articulate themselves beyond such annoyed sarcasm. It also indicates to me that they don't know what sort of behavior they want on their site so they thing a generalized rule will suffice for them to wave around the ban hammer.

Quit subtweeting me! 😢

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• Admin
5 hours ago, Death Kitten said:

Quit subtweeting me! 1f622.png

ILU @Death Kitten this wasn't about you specifically. It's just in general.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

Do NOT post in your own shipper! Post back to the other person in THEIR shipper. 

Yeah, no.

• I read this! 3

Reality is an illusion. 

• 2 weeks later...

I once saw a weird one a year or so back, but it wasn't written down or anything, it just came at a friend of mine from the admins. So it was a mixed bag of weird and "no one actually told us this wasn't allowed."

"No biblical names."

I'm just... they realise a huge amount of names are also derived from the bible? When asked why, the angle they chose was that the bible didn't exist in their universe, which sure, makes sense, if there hadn't been other characters using "biblical" names. Is consistency too much to ask for? At least write it down.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• I read this! 4

static-historicalrp.jpg

"Indiana was the dog!"

On 7/29/2017 at 7:55 PM, Zozma said:

Do NOT post in your own shipper! Post back to the other person in THEIR shipper. 

Yeah, no.

How are people supposed to keep track of plots, etc, if they're all over the place?

2 hours ago, Indy said:

I once saw a weird one a year or so back, but it wasn't written down or anything, it just came at a friend of mine from the admins. So it was a mixed bag of weird and "no one actually told us this wasn't allowed."

"No biblical names."

I'm just... they realise a huge amount of names are also derived from the bible? When asked why, the angle they chose was that the bible didn't exist in their universe, which sure, makes sense, if there hadn't been other characters using "biblical" names. Is consistency too much to ask for? At least write it down.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a bit silly because a name is a name is a name. The bible might not exist in that universe, but the culture it comes from might, or names could be dropped into the bible during translations to make it easier for people to read/relate to when reading it.

• I read this! 2

• 4 months later...

Before you can register or apply for a character. Message us, and we will see if you are worthy. 

LOL NO BYE.

• I read this! 2
  • LOL 4

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

I found a board to post our ad on and their rules in their ad section said they don't allow first links, only link backs. If they come across your board and you're eye-pleasing enough, they will post first on it. 

Also, another board had activity rules that just floored me. If you're gone for a week, all of your stuff will be deleted..they don't like "dead weight" smh.

• LOL 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

3 minutes ago, jenneral_jennson said:

Wait... I just... what?

I had the same reaction except far less polite. 

• I read this! 1
  • Cheers 2

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png