Stupid Rules

Rune

Any and all double standard rules.

"You must post your app in 3 days, but we can take up to two weeks to review it".

"Members can only have 5 characters and reserve faces for a week - staff can reserve forever".

"You must post twice a week, staff is exempt".

Yes, I know these last two will get me dirty looks, but I don't care. Both as a member and a staffer and admin on more than one site, my stance is pretty simple: If staff can't follow a rule, it should not be a rule.

• I read this! 4
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

Shady McShaderson

the rule list with the passwords. i've seen that a few times, annoying and tedious LOL. 

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

On 2/16/2018 at 10:04 PM, Honorem said:

"You are required to login to our discord server and communicate with us at all times regarding posting and replies, so that there are no gaps between posts greater than 12 hours"

Alright Captain, let me just quit my job and stop sleeping so I can abide by this rule.

12 hours?! 

wtf

• Agree 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TheHales

There was a rule on a site that said pregnancies were limited and required admin approval but followed up with you could fake a pregnancy or have a miscarriage for fun. That phrasing is just super uncomfortable in my opinion.

On 3/12/2018 at 10:28 PM, Honorem said:

"If you cause trouble, you will be warned about it. If you keep causing trouble, staff will take appropriate action while you fuck yourself."

Seriously? So many people need to stop writing rules that reveal they're about 12 and petulant beyond belief.

This reminds me of one a site I recently found that called potential members 'pretentious douches' if they wrote a long introductory paragraph for their character on a chat-style site. (How would anyone know anything about their character otherwise?)

22 hours ago, Honorem said:

"Solo threads are frowned upon, but if you must make them post a maximum of once per week in them."

Alright then, you don't want me to write on your writing site? Great thinking.

This is just silly.

On 3/13/2018 at 1:46 AM, TheHales said:

There was a rule on a site that said pregnancies were limited and required admin approval but followed up with you could fake a pregnancy or have a miscarriage for fun. That phrasing is just super uncomfortable in my opinion.

There are a lot of weebly sites that have been set up for twitter groups like this where founder(s) of the group literally want to control everything a member who joins it does.

Edited by Icewolf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Honorem said:

The +5/-5 rule, which I'm seeing heaps of lately.

What happens if I use a picture of Kirk Douglas from 1958, you're telling me he has to be within 5 years of 101 years of age even though that picture is when he was in his 40's? Lol.

And also, anything that contradicts itself. Recently found one:

Rule 1: We are laid back and don't rush people for replies.

Rule 2: We require you to post at least once per week or you will be archived.

I'm sorry, but some people work full time and might have busy weeks where they can't get to anything. That IS rushing. So choose one, not both.

And finally, anything that actually tells you how much you can or can't post.

"We are rapid fire only" or "We are descriptive only"

Why? Let members determine the post rate and length in their threads. You're cutting out a whole potential group of members by doing that.

"Solo threads are frowned upon, but if you must make them post a maximum of once per week in them."

Alright then, you don't want me to write on your writing site? Great thinking.

This rule would eliminate me right off the bat. The majority of the actors and actresses that I use as playbys are dead or in their 80s!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

39 minutes ago, Stormwolfe said:

This rule would eliminate me right off the bat. The majority of the actors and actresses that I use as playbys are dead or in their 80s!

I don't understand why people have that rule because for instance, if you were on a Star Wars site, it probably means that you wouldn't be able to have Harrison Ford as your FC for Han Solo, or Carrie Fisher for Leia, or Mark Hamil for Luke Skywalker. Some actors and actresses are so iconic with the character they portrayed that you just can't imagine them being played by someone different. (The new Han Solo film will in some ways feel strange to me because I'm used to Harrison Ford.) It also limits your choices too much and sometimes even finding the right person to represent your character is difficult in itself. (This is why I don't really like the idea of FCs and would prefer a site to be flexible in what you can use.)

• Agree 3

52 minutes ago, Icewolf said:

I don't understand why people have that rule because for instance, if you were on a Star Wars site, it probably means that you wouldn't be able to have Harrison Ford as your FC for Han Solo, or Carrie Fisher for Leia, or Mark Hamil for Luke Skywalker. Some actors and actresses are so iconic with the character they portrayed that you just can't imagine them being played by someone different. (The new Han Solo film will in some ways feel strange to me because I'm used to Harrison Ford.) It also limits your choices too much and sometimes even finding the right person to represent your character is difficult in itself. (This is why I don't really like the idea of FCs and would prefer a site to be flexible in what you can use.)

My site states a preference for real faces to be used as playbys but will accept well-done artwork, just no animê or cartoons. So, as realistic as possible, but not limited to living (or dead) celebrities.

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!