Stupid Rules

Rune

2 hours ago, Rune said:

The no first link thing is a stupid new trend lately. Like they think they're too good for it or whatever. Nevermind that if we all did that they'd be screwed.

It's petty, but I kind of want to make a rule that's something like: "We follow the like for like rule. Therefore, you can't advertise on our first link forum if we can't advertise on yours."

• I read this! 1
  • Cheers 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

30 minutes ago, Kit the Human said:

It's petty, but I kind of want to make a rule that's something like: "We follow the like for like rule. Therefore, you can't advertise on our first link forum if we can't advertise on yours."

I just did. Because I have no problem being a jerk.

• I read this! 2
  • LOL 2

On 12/13/2017 at 10:11 PM, wicked said:

I found a board to post our ad on and their rules in their ad section said they don't allow first links, only link backs. If they come across your board and you're eye-pleasing enough, they will post first on it. 

Also, another board had activity rules that just floored me. If you're gone for a week, all of your stuff will be deleted..they don't like "dead weight" smh.

This is one reason why I avoid 'groups' on twitter, and rp independently, only with those groups, you usually get kicked out if you're not active for one day, and in addition, the 'admins' of the 'group' have to approve all story-lines, all romantic ships, and all offspring from those ships before you can rp them. (They also usually have an audition, too, so it's kind of like the message us rule before you can join and only if they approve you first, and you can't, not ever, rp with anyone who isn't accepted into the group. Some of this would be fine, if rp on twitter started out as rp groups that you can join, but it didn't, so the admins of these groups just look like control freaks.)

Edited by Icewolf

11 hours ago, Icewolf said:

This is one reason why I avoid 'groups' on twitter, and rp independently, only with those groups, you usually get kicked out if you're not active for one day, and in addition, the 'admins' of the 'group' have to approve all story-lines, all romantic ships, and all offspring from those ships before you can rp them. (They also usually have an audition, too, so it's kind of like the message us rule before you can join and only if they approve you first, and you can't, not ever, rp with anyone who isn't accepted into the group. Some of this would be fine, if rp on twitter started out as rp groups that you can join, but it didn't, so the admins of these groups just look like control freaks.)

I admin a Twitter RP group and we used to have auditions (no longer, because it didn't feel right to us and only one person has stuck around from the 10+ we accepted) because canon characters needed a good grasp and, at the time, the RP had been active for over 2/3 years, so, like with any forum, we would review apps to make sure the character fit. Other groups I've auditioned for have asked just for a sample of writing and then accepted you (when we did auditions, it was much more common to have an actual app audition). Nowadays, I look at RP groups on Twitter with a mixture of hope and disappointment - there's no right way about it. I definitely don't agree with the idea of not roleplaying with people outside of the group though.

On stupid rules I've seen: in animal RPGs, staff pick all of the details about the pups/kittens/litters. The members only get to name them. Even if you intend to make one of those children in the future, apparently. Can't change it after. That just seems to limit creativity to me, and limit characters fairly pointlessly.

4 hours ago, Rune said:

Just found a board that doesn't allow male RPers...

Okay.

omg wtf? lol

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

Wow! One creepy guy too many I'm suspecting, but there are creepy females and others out there too.

Yeah, that one is a shame. Although, I have come across quite a few players that won't RP with a male and/or write/write with a male character.

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

27 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Wow! One creepy guy too many I'm suspecting, but there are creepy females and others out there too.

Yeah, that one is a shame. Although, I have come across quite a few players that won't RP with a male and/or write/write with a male character.

I've ran into a lot more creepy women in RP than I have men. And that's with there being a higher population of men in MMO RP. So, maybe I'm just lucky? Who knows, seems ridiculous to me to write off an entire sex just 'cause.

There's a ton of players that "can't" write one sex or another... Which I don't get since, you know... They're just people. 

Anything that dictates what gender/race I can play. I've seen a board that required everyone be a person of colour. Which would've been okay if it had made sense in the setting... But it was set in LA.

• I read this! 1

Until I started advertising places like this, I've always played with *a lot* of men RPers. All the Star Trek sites I've played on over the years were so full of men. So this whole women dominated thing is still so odd to me. All that said, I have def had problems with people who identify as men and woman, so I don't get banning men only. Though I will say that in Trek, I have had a lot of problems with men mansplaining shit to me, and disrespecting me when I held I ranked position on a ship. The women I've had problems with in the past were less in my face about their disrespect. The latter actually makes it a little harder to deal with, truth be told.

• I read this! 2

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

On 20/12/2017 at 6:48 PM, Rune said:

Just found a board that doesn't allow male RPers...

Okay.

I was going to say "not gonna join that" but then realised, I can't.

I am not sure how they'd go around doing gender checks. What about people who identify as bigender, are they banned on Tuesdays and allowed on Sundays?

Joke aside, maybe I'm too nonchalant about this but I don't really care. The writers on this site can have each other, which is what they want. While male RPers can join places that would actually be thrilled to have them. That's a silver lining, I suppose. Nothing worse than being in a place where no one wants you. 

(Sorry, no stupid rules here to share. I haven't seen any in a while!) 

Edited by Heath

Sort of off topic, but I find it silly when sites have strict activity rules that staff don't follow. For example, I was recently on a site where the admin had 15+ characters and a rule that every 90 days they would do an activity check and each character has to have one active post posted after the start of the activity check. They post a huge long list of character names that are "Unsafe" and going to be deleted until posted otherwise. This list, after looking at previous checks, always excluded the main admin only. The main admin who, after I had been on the site for 3+ months, only posted once and it was a one liner. No offense to one liners, but HYPOCRITE on her 300 minimum word count arse.

Oh, a real stupid rule was "You must roleplay with as many different people as possible. If you have five threads, you must be roleplaying with at least 3 different people." They enforced it, too. Well, they enforced it on members they felt weren't branching out enough. The admin only ever roleplayed with their coadmin and refused threads with anyone else. Like what?

Another rule I hate, as a Harry Potter player, is forced student/adult ratios. I tend to avoid student sites as I find roleplaying a teenager uncomfortable and considering that many of them want to be running around having sex at the age of 13, I'd really rather not even pretend. One site required that every third character be a student, if not all students, and new student characters weren't allowed to be older than third years. I ended up leaving the site because the admin were pressuring me to make a student because while they allowed adults, they only played students and felt every member should too. Uhm... no.

• I read this! 1
  • Preach it! 1

Ugh, anything that does the "for every x you must roll a y." Maybe I don't want to play a y? Maybe I just want to play X's. Way to force me into characters I don't want just do it can get the ones I do.

• I read this! 1

2 minutes ago, kjrod98 said:

Aren't third-wave feminazis wonderful? /s

As a female, I welcome my male RPers with open arms. There are far too few of them!

Feminists aren't anti-men, they want equality for women. Please don't spread the continued misinformation re:feminism by attributing it to that. Thanks.

• I read this! 3
  • Preach it! 3

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Just now, Death Kitten said:

Feminists aren't anti-men, they want equality for women. Please don't spread the continued misinformation re:feminism by attributing it to that. Thanks.

First/second wave feminism, such as the women's suffrage group of the early 1900s, wanted true equality. That's why I made the distinction of third-wave. Because they aren't feminists at all.

But that is an entire rant on it's own and I won't get into it on here because I literally don't shut up once I get going lol

OT:

Just found a site that wants a minimum of two 500+ word posts a day.

And another who doesn't allow people of color at all... That's set in New York. (In the borough of Queens, to be exact, which is the most diverse place in the entire US.) I laughed and then promptly nope'd right off there.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Preach it! 2