Fun with Filters

Rune

Does anyone else employ filters in their Cbox/board?

CW puts ones for random words just to see how long it takes people to catch them then swaps them out after they're discovered. I've also filtered "I'm bored" to "I should look at shippers."

I'm considering filtering "Is this site active?" to "Yes, we're active" but was curious to see if other people employed such a devious thing and what they filtered specifically.

• I read this! 3

• Admin

I personally do not but I find that it's fun to see sometimes. I just don't ever think of them. On sites I have the cBox normally has tags posted straight to it so I've never had the need I think.

I think that those that can figure out ones they want to have filtered are clever.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

We tend to take words that are either rarely used or very commonly used. Someone on the board has chickens, so we swapped "chicken" for "velociraptor" for a while. Currently "coffee" is "Satan's Milk."

• I read this! 4

Filtered 'Is this site active?' to 'Timestamps are awesome!' for a solid six months once, but no one said it in that entire time. In fact, they worded it in different ways, such as 'Are you guys active?' or 'How active is this site?', or simply 'Is this site active' without the question mark. Frustrating!

So no filters currently, but you sure are giving me ideas for random rare words Rune. xD!

• I read this! 4

Oh man. I'm using that one. I'll also slowly go down the list until I hit them all. We got an "Is there anyone here?" today while we were actively talking. Its so hard to resist a "Nope."

• I read this! 2

Just now, Rune said:

Oh man. I'm using that one. I'll also slowly go down the list until I hit them all. We got an "Is there anyone here?" today while we were actively talking. Its so hard to resist a "Nope."

Lol yep. What REALLY bothers me more than "Is this site active?" and its variants though, is when someone says "hey is there an admin around?"

Member tells them no, and they say "Let them know I was after them!"

How about just ask it and they'll see it when they are next on, and you'll see their response when you are next on, and everything's well in the universe! TLDR version, when a guest seems to think you both have to be on at the exact same time until they can ask their question. But apologies for that mini rant, back on topic.

Even further back (probably about 2012), had a member who always typed 'zzz' in the cbox when bored. So the filter was a different colour for each z, and all of it bolded. So the next time they did it, it was a pretty little rainbow. What's upsetting? They said it when no one else was on, then someone else logged on and didn't comment on it, etc. So when I login several hours later, no one had even commented on the lovely sight! Doh! :P

But yup, that's about all I've ever done with the word filters.

• I read this! 3

That and the fact that there is NO WAY to contact a guest. Oh, you're looking for me? Okay... I have no idea who you are or how to get in touch with you. Fat lot of good telling my members did you. And, more likely than not, they could answer your questions!

We had one that did various emotes, so we swapped them all out to just slightly misspelled versions of what she typed all the time. We've also changed stuff like "the" to "teh" just to make people think they're crazy.

• I read this! 3

OMFSM, you guys ALMOST make me wish I'd install a cbox on my game's nova. Almost.

I'd probably get tempted to go political on things, even though I try very very hard to be a good girl and not bring politics into my trek, well, okay not bring present day politics into my trek without a good trek-washing to make it metaphorical.

One of my members would get all variants of their name changed to Crisco. And they'd know why.

• I read this! 3

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

These are all delightful ideas and I'm totally stealing them. 

Especially "are you active"? OMG I HATE THAT. 

• I read this! 2

pfZKNf.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've only ever once tweaked filters in my C-Box, and it was because I and my co admins got tired of the same member, going on and on about how he was the best at playing a particular canon that we weren't allowing on the board at the time. So we changed it to something a little inappropriate for a day, and he stopped talking about said character after that.

Good times.

• I read this! 5

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

• 1 month later...

I have only used the filtering on cbox to make names coloured when other people are addressing someone and use their name.  I really love the idea of filtering all variations of is this site active to something else though.

• I read this! 1

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

I don't have any filters going currently, though the "is this site active" ones always tempt me a little bit. I was on a site a bit back where the cbox was swimming in filters that were mostly in-jokes and such and it made it far too difficult to communicate. A couple site/setting specific things can be charming but if things have to be translated a lot for guests I'm not a fan.

• I read this! 4

4 hours ago, Vehk said:

I don't have any filters going currently, though the "is this site active" ones always tempt me a little bit. I was on a site a bit back where the cbox was swimming in filters that were mostly in-jokes and such and it made it far too difficult to communicate. A couple site/setting specific things can be charming but if things have to be translated a lot for guests I'm not a fan.

We swap ours out regularly with 'coffee' being the only one that stays as it is now and forever 'satan's milk.' We try to keep away from inside jokes and just put them as weird off the wall things no one gets for a couple weeks then rotate on to the next batch mostly because finding them has become a weird sort of game for our members and that way we aren't excluding anyone from the fun. (Just confusing the crap out of those that aren't already in the know.)

• I read this! 3

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Most of my 'is this site active' filtered questions are either quotes based on my game's fandom; or, Monty Python quotes. Because MP never gets old. :D

@Blackjack BartThose are cool filters to use for variations of is this site active.  I have no idea what I would use as filters on my sites cbox for those questions.

• I read this! 1

Profile graphics by @Lirschen