Would an a-typical way of doing applications put you off

Robmin

So I was thinking of making it so bio forms can only be done by the OOC account of a site rather then being done by the character account, then wondered if this would count as a turn off, or even if another site has done it before, whether it was successful or not?

I mean I can see pros and cons of doing it this way (but for me the pros outweigh the cons!)

Pros -

Easier to see how many characters a person plays if its all off their OOC account

Easier to 'prove' who the character belongs to on the board (and to find who to discipline should someone have stolen a character)

Easier to track who does make and run bios (those people who may post with a character 3 or so times and then poof onto the next idea)

Cuts out the need for having a 'whos who' list

Cons - 

Bio no longer linked onto the character account (could be overcome by using the signature space to link to the bio)

I'd love other peoples thoughts though

adminuserbar.png.71315bfc91f356787fd0e77311e6f224.png

Why do you need it? Because all the pros... are valid for having an OOC account and character subaccounts linked to it. All the subaccounts are linked to the OOC parent account, who gets the punishment, is known how many characters has and which, etc. In addition, you can make a character masterlist with all the members and the characters they play.

I see you don't want to have a who;s who list - this is useful for potential members too, not only for the existing ones. But anyway, if you don't want one, still each OOC parent character has all the subaccounts listed.

Edited by Elena

I use proboards - we don't typically have a native subaccounts system.

I also find it personally sort of 'messy' (I don't know why) to see character bios posted by the character, I'd rather see them posted by the author or the person who's writing them. Another reason I'm interested in it is say that I have two character who are my own. With both forms posted on my OOC account it then means if I have both in the same thread, moving same way together, I'd feel less need to write their actions over two posts that could easily be done as one post off just one account (aka deciding the character to be the 'main' account in that thread as long as there are no interactions that would require them to act seperately)

• I read this! 1

I'm not too familiar with proboards, so I'm going to avoid going into technical stuff that would apply to jcink since I don't think they transfer.

Personally I don't think it would bother me. I would actually probably prefer to only deal with one account if I can't use sub-accounts (if I'm understanding that correctly). I can see the advantages of keeping everything in one account from both an admin and a player point of view. I think the main issue you'll end up with is people doing it wrong, but if you have a clear description on how you want people to join the site I doubt it will be a huge issue.

• I read this! 1

24 minutes ago, hades said:

I'm not too familiar with proboards, so I'm going to avoid going into technical stuff that would apply to jcink since I don't think they transfer.

Personally I don't think it would bother me. I would actually probably prefer to only deal with one account if I can't use sub-accounts (if I'm understanding that correctly). I can see the advantages of keeping everything in one account from both an admin and a player point of view. I think the main issue you'll end up with is people doing it wrong, but if you have a clear description on how you want people to join the site I doubt it will be a huge issue.

Basically proboards works where you have a 'global account' which acts as a container for all accounts for all forums, but only shows accounts for that individual forum on the account switcher page - so we have sub-accounts in a fashion but there's no way for me to do something like:

Rob (OOC Account)

---- Badr (sub Account)

---- Amir (sub Account) 

aka no way for people to easily know on proboards. 

I have it in the rules how I want it to be done, I'm not sure anywhere else

• I read this! 1

• Admin

Being a woman that uses IPS almost exclusively that's how I normally do it. But with my character accounts mod there are no actual accounts for the character so everything, by default, is posted by the OOC account. It wouldn't bother me personally.

However, a con for you would be that it would confuse people used to traditional methods of posting from the character account.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

If you're going to have all the Apps come from the OOC account, you MIGHT be better off just having all the In Character posts made by that one account and Nix character accounts completely. It would eliminate the mess and confusion. And would completely eliminate having to post twice when multiple characters are in the same thread. I've been on many Probards that did RPing this way instead of making players make a zillion character accounts and switch between them. Especially sites where many of the members like to have 3 or more characters to choose from.

• I read this! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I wouldn't be turned off from this idea, if anything I like the idea of people submitting the applications for the character first. It just makes sense to me to make the profile first and then the account. This way if someone is applying for a canon and that admin decides to, for whatever reason, deny them then they haven't already gone ahead and taken the canon name account.  

Also it could be nice this way just so if say someone writes a canon for a year but then drops them, then another person picks them up you can keep the old sheet around as Playername's version of canon (possibly add a date stamp to it so that people can tell at a glance what topics belong to them? EX- "Captain America - Sept '15 to Jan '16" then "Captain America Jan '16 - " )

I also think that Account Per Person is not without it's charms too. Though I recognise that some people love account per character simply because they love having graphics for their characters and using the accounts to separate the writing some. 

• I read this! 2
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

5 hours ago, VirusZero said:

I wouldn't be turned off from this idea, if anything I like the idea of people submitting the applications for the character first. It just makes sense to me to make the profile first and then the account. This way if someone is applying for a canon and that admin decides to, for whatever reason, deny them then they haven't already gone ahead and taken the canon name account.  

Also it could be nice this way just so if say someone writes a canon for a year but then drops them, then another person picks them up you can keep the old sheet around as Playername's version of canon (possibly add a date stamp to it so that people can tell at a glance what topics belong to them? EX- "Captain America - Sept '15 to Jan '16" then "Captain America Jan '16 - " )

I also think that Account Per Person is not without it's charms too. Though I recognise that some people love account per character simply because they love having graphics for their characters and using the accounts to separate the writing some. 

I tried Account Per Person and got a major backlash for it - I also like Account Per Person due to the politics between various factions on this rp - but I agree, this is my thoughts. That way I can hash out any issues etc before it gets to the point of "well the accounts already there oh god I feel pressured to accept it oh god oh god oh god!"

I wasn't even really thinking about the pressure of accepting them once they have the account but I can see how that could factor in. (And it may be something a somewhat less qualified person might take advantage of to get the role they want... especially if they know the staff are susceptible to this kind of tactic.) I was more thinking about the annoyance factor, I mean if they already have the account and get rejected then staff have to either delete the account or change the email address and password to take control of it to give to whomever gets that role.

Though I wouldn't be too concerned about the account per person backlash. Lots of people will whine about it but then will play anyway (just it takes them a few seconds to learn how to do things slightly differently).

I mean per-character and per-account aren't that different, just instead of having an avatar/signature for each character only have one. Plus they never have to worry about posting with wrong account or forgetting to select the account to use (or switching the post if they select the wrong account). And it's not like you can't tell which character they're using... most sites use 3rd person past tense so they often have to mention them by name at some point anyway to have them do anything. (I could understand forcing per-character if they were writing with 1st person perspective... since it'd definitely be hard to know otherwise.)

Edited by VirusZero
  • I read this! 2
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I know that I keep sorta merging my two characters travelling together into one post and just alternating accounts anyway - its the biggest reason I went for the slightly different way of doing things (so that way its like 'hey both these chars are mine'.

But yes, there's a few reasons that I went APC, mainly I wanted the group organisastion options in this case.

• I read this! 2

On 6/6/2016 at 4:41 PM, Robmin said:

I know that I keep sorta merging my two characters travelling together into one post and just alternating accounts anyway - its the biggest reason I went for the slightly different way of doing things (so that way its like 'hey both these chars are mine'.

But yes, there's a few reasons that I went APC, mainly I wanted the group organisastion options in this case.

Yeah, that's sort of the only major downside I've seen. All the organization options that can be put into play, or different characters belonging to different groups, etc. Proboards added a neat feature that you can put a member in more than one group, but for some reason only one shows up on the mini-profile.

I don't think your in-between idea will be a turn off - its not vastly different from either system. Just might shock people for half a second.

• I read this! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Although I do understand the logic behind your suggestion, my only problem with it would be needing to make an OOC account period. I say this because I'm the type of person who, once I get into your role play and decide I really like it, I'll make as many characters as I can handle which usually means one character per account. So having yet another account that I would need to manage and even remember that I had would be a little bit too much for me.

poke_bro.png

22 minutes ago, Diana said:

Although I do understand the logic behind your suggestion, my only problem with it would be needing to make an OOC account period. I say this because I'm the type of person who, once I get into your role play and decide I really like it, I'll make as many characters as I can handle which usually means one character per account. So having yet another account that I would need to manage and even remember that I had would be a little bit too much for me.

On proboards right now their switch account screen loads up all accounts on one screen - its one thing I like about it! This is in v5, I'm not sure what's coming in v6 yet

Fair warning, I skipped over a lot of replies. /terrible person

But a new way of apping doesn't necessarily make it a bad way.

Hell, every trend on a site usually starts off as an a-typical thing. I remember the days before OOC accounts and Jcink with the sub account linking. You always put your nick name, and which account was your 'main'. Then someone somewhere said 'Hey, let's make an OOC account for people! That makes it easier to organize!' lo and behold, here we are.

If it's uniform, clearly explained, and enabled already on your site, it shouldn't be a problem. People will adapt if your site strikes their fancy. 

You might become a trendsetter on Proboards. You never know. I personally tend to avoid Proboards because of the way their account system works. I'm spoiled by Jcink. ;D

• I read this! 2

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png