Aliases

Morrigan

• Admin

I was chatting with @Elena and the subject of aliases came up which made me curious.

I've been going by Morrigan for Over 15 years. I picked it up in High School and haven't looked back since (probably why I'm going to get my legal name changed to Morrigan Marsion....). I have used multiple renditions of this name but I haven't changed it up at all as my online Alias.

Heck you google Morrigan Marsion and 95% of the results are me, related to me (on a page that I have even the Wit'ch books are on a page with my name on it) and everything.

Continuing on!

So I wonder how often you change your alias. Do you have a list of aliases that you use? Do you go to sites and change your alias based on genre? Any good or bad experiences that you've had with Aliases.

For me I have a list that I start at the top and work my way down until I find one that works:

Morrigan

TheMorrigan

CaptainMorrigan

Morr

TheMorr

MorriganMarsion

And if I have to get more creative then that then I likely already registered on that site. CaptainMorrigan is normally never taken so I'm always pretty lucky about that. I normally don't have any problems with my alias. I have been confused with other people that also go by Morrigan on sites or have characters named Morrigan on sites (primarily this issue stems from Supernatural sites).

The only issue I think I've ever had were on Supernatural sites with the rule of "You can't have an alias that is the same name as a character and you can't have a character with the same name as an alias". When I used the username Morrigan I got told I was breaking the rules as there was a character named Morrigan on the site and scolded and promptly told that I had to change it. I bolted from that site pretty quick.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Long long ago in the before time, I was once known as Saturn Girl because I loved the planet, and even though I still have the domain saturngirl.net, I've pretty much stopped using it, and the domain is currently set to forward to deathkitten.net.

Death Kitten came about originally as the call sign for my first Star Trek sim character. Diz is a Klingon-Trill pilot, and that is her call sign. A friend I've long since lost contact with had suggested it, and it just fit her so well. As I came to see Diz as who I could have been if I was stronger and in a better universe, I also started using her as my alias online. Annoyingly, Death Kitten is popular with other people too, so I can't always score it on bigger sites, but I've had my Gmail account since the days of invite only, and I've had deathkitten.net registered since '05. When I can't get Death Kitten, I fall back on diziara, and have never had that not work.

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Back in middle school at some point, I decided my AIM name should be Kuroshin13. At this point....I don't even remember how I came up with it, just that I was in a big anime kick (Old School Toonami 4pm-6:30pm M-F afterschool ftw....gee I'm old) at the time. And going through a bit of a Darkie phase I guess (shrug).

High School I decided I needed something more... Me. And I needed a Gamertag. One that didn't sound like I was still 12. So I ended up with CovertSphinx after many trials and errors. It rolls off the tongue very nicely, and has matched my core person description equally well as I've grown. The only time I've had to change it is for my xBox name when we bought the xBox One. Mainly because it was registering for some odd reason the old CovertSphinx that i made back in HS on my friend's regular xBox for Halo purposes (and I had no way of ever being able to access it). So on that it's ChomperSphinx; cuz the hubby calls me "Chomper" after the baby Sharptooth (t-rex) from Land Before Time.

Now whenever I fill out legal paperwork and they ask for "Aliases", I start wondering if I should put my Internet Name down.....It's THAT much part of my identity as my legal name lol XD

Edited by CovertSphinx
addition
  • I read this! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• Admin
5 minutes ago, CovertSphinx said:

Now whenever I fill out legal paperwork and they ask for "Aliases", I start wondering if I should put my Internet Name down.....It's THAT much part of my identity as my legal name lol XD

This is partly why I think getting my name changed should be relatively easy since it's been my online Alias for so long I'm pretty synonymous with it. The only problem I'm going to run into is the ex.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

txernest has literally been my online alias since I got my first email address? Ernest was the name of my first horse, and I'm from Texas. So, tadaaaaaaa. I've been going by it since I was 12. Since then it's expanded to include txladyernest (because people started assuming I was a boy), txfantasystar (I wanted another Neopets account, okay?), and codenamepsylocke (the best X-Man). These are mostly site and gaming handles and you can find me in many places under them. I've never had a problem getting any of them, so if you find one it's likely me. Also, emd.iron.woman has been one I use fairly often, mostly in messengers.

As I started moving to forum RP, I've gone by Erin (my first name), Michele (my middle name), Huginn, and Habrok (both from Norse myth). I kind of fluctuate between them when I'm joining places. 

• I read this! 2

Find me on:

Mortal Ends   x5d17s.jpg
{Erin}   {Little Bird}

I have a small round of Names that I've used in the past. I'll change it up when I feel I've exhausted the familiarity of a name.

Mellomeme is my Youtube name, and I've used that one on and off for a while, but for RP forums, listing from most recent:

Dizzy

Gaz

Gazard

Hazard

Haz

Pants

Squee

Squeegurl

The transition from Hazard to Gazard was a typo joke on a site a few years ago, and I went with it, because I also liked that I could shorten it to Gaz. (Invader Zim anyone?)

• I read this! 2

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

On RPGs I have been always Elena, which is my real name, or Elenitsa, the Greek diminutive. Well, the first RPG I had joined in 2009 didn't have OOC accounts. You wrote your OOC name in the character bio, and I wrote it Elena, but in c-box you had your first character's name, so I answered to Marina in the c-box (respectively Andrea on another site where I couldn't bring Marina, but only her brother), but I had made it clear that my name is Elena.

When I made my FB account, I went with the same character name, Marina Costa. And it is the pseudonym I use for publishing my book too (and probably for all the subsequent ones). From the editor's point of view, was that short names are the ones needed now. People aren't interested in longer names anymore. So Lelia-Elena Vasilescu (or any of the two given names, the family name is too long, and my maiden name is equally long) was out of case. Marina Costa is short and rather unusual. My bonus? I was able to make an author page on FB for promoting my book and announcing launching events, because it is the same name I use on FB.

• I read this! 2

Rune and occasionally things tacked onto it.

Captain

Blackstone

Blaqstone

Ura

Saija

Hound

Things that are generally difficult to google (beyond Blaqstone) 

I have no idea where I picked Rune up at beyond the fact that I do greatly enjoy runes. Blackstone/Blaqstone is a character's surname. That character is Ura. Whom is also a Captain. Saija is another character. And I just like the word Hound.

I've been Bosslady a few times as well.

As an aside, on the topic of AIM names I still have the same one from when I was 11. It's horrible but at this point I'm basically married to the damn thing.

Edited by Rune
  • I read this! 2

I've used the same username for the last 11 years basically. The first site I ever joined I used the alias DarkZero (I wanted the name "Zero" but it's pretty common and was, unsurprisingly, already taken) but when I went to join another site that name was taken too. So I changed my name and since then I've stuck with VirusZero (or most commonly VZ). I've used variations of that for gamertags and the like (VirusXero or Virus_Xero are common alts). The alias "VirusZero" is very rarely ever taken.

The name originates from the MegaMan X series of games (which happens to be my favourite series) as there was a character who looked the main android character Zero. But it was actually Zero's core "programming" in physical form. When it combines with Zero he becomes more powerful and loses control. (Which leads to a cool boss fight and one of the most badass songs in all gaming.) I thought the name was cool and I've always been fond of transformations and power ups. So I used the name. 

I use the alias specifically to distance myself from my real life stuff. This is because when I was younger I was always told never reveal your name/location and all that. Be smart with your details. Keep your passwords safe. And it's something I've just always done despite how the move towards social networks has kind of pushed everyone to do just the opposite.

Spoiler

I very rarely talk about things like where I live. And in the event I do mention things like where I live I speak in generalities. (So I say I live in Canada rather than the town/city or anything like that. I've mentioned which province before once, but not since then and the topic where that was mentioned has since been deleted.)

If I do mention things about my life I change names and obscure details. So if two friends were fighting I'd have them named A and B, I'd likely change what they were fighting over just so it doesn't line up exactly (but is close).

Speaking of friends, almost none of my friends know my online usernames. (Only 2 do.)

I've never mentioned where I work. (I've mentioned one job that I do, but I'm ok with that because it's self-employed anyway. So good luck finding me there without having my offline name.)

This also means if employers ever ask if I have a social media accounts I can say no and not lie. I don't have any personal ones. I might have ones for my websites, but they'd have the website name not mine. This means they can't do lookups and see any comments I've made, political statement/affiliations or anything of that sort. So I'm not going to risk getting fired/ignored for having an opinion, which holds no relevance to whether I can do a job, that they maybe don't like.

• I read this! 2
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

Guest Archaic Cyborg

In the early days where I RPed, people went by their real name (or 'real' as in not Shadow) as well as their main canon character / chatroom alias. Later on, people moved onto actual aliases. I can't remember my first alias(es), but in recent years I went by as Archaic Cyborg, and now I'm Blackjack Bart. Changed mostly due to fandom-swapping as well as obscurity; getting easier to recognise, more unique, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from my earliest Neopets days (lollypop9596 was the best username i could come up with when i was 7 don't judge me), I have always gone by the name 'Counterklock'. I also respond to the variations and derivative nicknames such as:
Counterclock 
Counter

Count

Count Klock

Klock

CK

In my current RP community, literally all of these get used. I have Skype set to notify me if any of them are mentioned, because all of my people use a different name for me.

A few other nicknames I've had over the years include 'Leafeh' (derived from my Warrior Cat OC's name Leafheart), Saber, and Moony. 

• I read this! 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really have a good reason for my current name except that I was looking for a fresh start... i was Coley for a long time before Juno - that's a variation of my real name. Juno was basically because me and my coadmin decided to have a gods theme and I liked the roman lore behind the goddess. My coadmin is jupiter and now we have this:

juno_ngdfzt6tu.jpg

• I read this! 1

I don't typically use an Alias. I've almost always just gone by my first name, Marcella. I actually haven't run into anyone else in the community with the same name so I've never had a problem. For a little bit, I shortened my name to Mar but that didn't stick. lol 

I've just found that I'm not very good at answering to another name. Even when my friends in high school used to try and give me a nickname it didn't work too well.

Edited by deserted_phoenix
  • I read this! 1