Traits we learn from our family

txernest

So, my Grandmother is the most Passive Aggressive person I have ever met. When my mom and her sisters were younger, she would always say things like "(sweetly)Don't you want to put on some lip[stick before you leave the house?" and "Shouldn't you run a brush through your hair?" and I've gotten my fair share of things like "Wouldn't you prefer to be more active?" and "Oh, you're looking well-fed."

This is a trait that my Mother also has in spades, and as such, I often don't realize when I, myself, get Passive Aggressive about certain things. Because it seems so normal.

(Like, my mom will say things like "Oh, honey, that's not my worry." and "You know that requires a husband, mija." Like. YES MOM. PLEASE MAKE ME MORE ANXIOUS AND PARANOID.)

Anyway, what kind of negative traits have you learned from your family that you can't really help?

• I read this! 2

Find me on:

Mortal Ends   x5d17s.jpg
{Erin}   {Little Bird}

• 2 weeks later...

Road rage. My mom doesn't always have it, but when she does it's an explosion. I tend to have it more than she does - and I don't even drive yet. I'll yell and curse and flip people off while I'm in the passenger seat. One second I'm happy chatting away, the next someone didn't turn their turn signal on in front of us and I'm calling them everything under the sun.

For the most part, even though it is a rather negative trait, I don't mind it; except for the time someone nearly hit us, I flipped them off, and they proceeded to follow us into an empty parking lot. Good times! 

• I read this! 1

Ex Vino Veritas

OH GOD. I got the road rage too. XD I think mine's more "I grew up in Austin, TX" related than family, but deer lord I can get creatively angry on the road. Being followed into a parking lot, though... scary

• I read this! 1

Find me on:

Mortal Ends   x5d17s.jpg
{Erin}   {Little Bird}

I did grow up in Toronto, and the traffic and driving there is horrid, so that probably helped in giving me that trait! As for being followed, it definitely was scary at the time. But now I find it hilarious, mainly due to the fact that the guy pulled up beside us just to yell at me about how that was inappropriate. I finally nodded and 'uh-huh'ed enough at him to get him to leave.

Then proceeded to flip him off as he drove away. Probably not the best of plans, considering he could have turned right around again, but at the time I think I was still suffering from road rage!

• I read this! 1

Ex Vino Veritas

Road Rage story time? Road Rage Story Time.

Imagine if you can, it's 2am on the backroads of boofoo ain't chit around-ville. Meet another car at a stop sign, but the d-bag has his brights on still, and the angle at which he's perched on the road, i literally can not see for I am blinded. I'm in the car with my BFF at the time. We're slap happy and generally being stupid, so as both cars move, I shriek out my open window, "That burns you a-hole!"

We think nothing of it until he turns around and follows us through three different subdivisions and side roads as we try to lose him. 

Yeah, I probably got my foul mouth from my dad, seeing as how my mother rarely curses, and swats me when I do curse.

I have also inherited the ability to politely word things in such a way that folks don't realize I've just insulted their intelligence and they've thanked me for it.

• I read this! 2

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png