My first tabletop experience

Amelia

A couple of weeks ago I signed up to a local MeetUp group for tabletop rps, something I have always wanted to try out but have never gotten around to actually doing. With me getting a new job and finally leaving the nightmare behind me that is called my thesis I figured why not try it now. I got in touch with one of the leaders of the group and they got me in touch with a GM who has been running a group for sometime now. He was very willing to help me get into the game and join the group. All of them have been very kind and  helpful when I expressed that I wanted to get into it. I was a little afraid at first that because I didn't have so much knowledge. It turned out that fear was unjustified, they were very excited to introduce a newbie to the game and help me out to the best of their abilities.

The first session was a private session so that the GM could set it up so that I could join the group, as the group had been playing for quite some time already. After discussing some more details of my characters background we started. At first I was a little uncertain as to what to do. Soon I started to get into it and was looking forward to came next. Apparently my character didn't respond the way the GM expected, so he had to improvise himself which was fun. 

Are there any others that are doing tabletop rps?
And would anyone be willing to try an online tabletop rp, because I would love to try something online.  

• I read this! 2

I love tabletop RPG. When I'm able to make it to gaming cons, I try to pack my time as full of tabletop stuff as I can, I have massive amounts of dice (okay, not massive, but I have a respectable sized dice bag), and I have played in my share of campaigns over the years when I've been able to put together steady gaming groups to do so.

Currently I don't have anything going, but some of my favorite systems are Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia, Airship Pirates, and the classic World of Darkness.   So much fun.

I have played an online tabletop game before, it was a d20 modern game that was run on IRC, and the guy running it had put together a custom little program he hosted on his website that served as a map for miniature placement during combat. We did some very wild things in that game, including blowing up a gas station (I swear, that one wasn't my fault!). If I had a dice rolling bot, I wouldn't mind trying to run a session of something in IRC or maybe discord for the voice chat.

• I read this! 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

@Death Kitten That would actually be really cool if we could get some more people involved. I would certainly be willing to look around to find something that would work! 

• I read this! 1

I have a couple of kickstarter games that are in the works right now. The new version of Paranoia is waving to me from the horizon (baring no further delays, it should arrive by August I think they said?), and I backed one that I'm almost completely unfamiliar with called Threadbare, but it sounds super fun as the party is a bunch of toys in a post apocalyptic setting.

Then of course, I also have some crazy ideas for Call of Cthulhu. I am pretty sure @Morrigan would be game for an MLP meets Call of Cthulhu adventure, and I have another idea that involves the theater and a musical called A Shuggoth on the Roof (a filk of A Fiddler on the Roof using Lovecraft themes and characters).

• I read this! 2

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I am very very very new to tabletop games, but I have played a few times! My first time was with a group that had no idea what they were doing; my brother, boyfriend, and a friend of mine. It was a blast, seeing as how none of us knew how to play the game. My bf was the DM, and he's a big fan of Lovecraft, so it was really based on the town of innsmouth. It ended with all of us dying because someone decided to take the cult coin, and we got swallowed up by one of the many sea creatures in Lovecraftian horror. Good times, good times.

As for doing an online game I would totally be up for it; so long as no one would mind my newness to the whole thing, and not knowing what's going on. So long as I'm willing to learn more I suppose!

• I read this! 1

Ex Vino Veritas

@Death Kitten I have found a website here: http://rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/choosing-a-vt that has some. As well as these: http://www.rptools.net/ http://fabletop.com/ and https://roll20.net/ but I think you would have to test it to see what would work.

@Namari I am new to it myself and I would love for you to join in as well! The more the merry. 

• I read this! 1

• Admin

OMGERD! MLP CTHULHU!

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Tabletops are very fun! And the great thing is they are incredibly varied, so if you liked or did not like one, chances are you can find another that is similar or different! A lot of people start with classic D&D, and I loveeee D&D, every edition is different too with different feelings to it. 3.5 is good for technical and realistic, 4e feels like playing a saturday morning cartoon with lots of powers and fast healing, 5 brings a lot of variation in characters with a focus on roleplaying, for instance.

Some other good ones that make for natural transitions from forum rp are Fate, which is really very open for creativity and so fast to learn. D&D has lots of rules and is a large time and money investment, but Fate is just a book and a simple character sheet, or you can get Fate Accelerated, which is only a few pages long. Good for pick-up play as well. 

Also seconding Call of Cthulu. For the longest time I had the impression that that was for hardcore players or really really...idk weird ones. But in reality it is a lot of fun, easy to learn, with satisfying rewards and again lots of room for creativity. 

Then there's like a zillion others. I'm currently going through the Burning Wheel handbook right now, I love how it is written, but heavens, it is a tome of information X.x

• I read this! 1

dinocountry_banner.png

The West just got wilder...

One of these days, I'll get my hands on a copy of the Amber RP rules, as I've heard great things about it, and being a diceless system means it probably would work well online/text based.

I'm not doing tabletop currently but my experiences with it are usually good. Had some friends encouraging me to run a game the other week...though I don't know that I have the energy. I do have a huge soft spot for Mage the Ascension, though that does need a certain sort of group to run. Also have done a bit of 3.5 (mostly Eberron) and 5th edition D&D in my time.

• I read this! 1

@Vehk that is pretty awesome. I do not think I know mage the ascension.