Extrovert or Introvert?

Morrigan

Which do you play more?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin

So I was looking at my characters and other characters and I noticed I tend to primarily play extroverts but I do play a few introverts. Now mind you the definition varies but for the most part what I mean is someone that outgoing or someone that is not outgoing.

I personally prefer extroverts as they give more reasons to meet other people. I do know there is a place for introverts but I often find them difficult to get plot going with without forcing the player to push them outside of their comfort zone. 

Thoughts opinions?

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I play mostly extroverts simply because it makes writing easier. I don't have to worry about how to get my wallflower into a situation that they wouldn't just immediately try backing out of or whatnot. No offense intended here it's just that characters who are introverts can be really difficult to engage with and keep engaged.

EX- They sit alone in the corner, reading their book... giving only short, curt answers when pressed and trying oh so hard to ignore everyone. 

I mean how many times will a character (or player) try to engage before they just give up and move on. Even worse if there are major events going on that they're completely ignoring. A building is crumbling behind them and they're nonchalantly reading a book? No. Freaking. Way.

Granted that's a pretty extreme example but this kind of stuff does happen.

• I read this! 2
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I tend to play extroverts, but recently wrote up an introvert... and yeah, on occasion he's quite difficult to play because he isn't very good at meeting people. I try to make that awkwardness work for me... for example, he isn't good at informal social situations, and has almost no sense of humor, so when the lady in the bookshop joked with him he became offended, and then she grabbed his wrist to keep him from fleeing, tried to apologize, and burst into tears. He had no idea how to deal with that! It turned into an unexpectedly tense and rewarding scene. :3

• I read this! 2

3 hours ago, VirusZero said:

I play mostly extroverts simply because it makes writing easier. I don't have to worry about how to get my wallflower into a situation that they wouldn't just immediately try backing out of or whatnot. No offense intended here it's just that characters who are introverts can be really difficult to engage with and keep engaged.

This is my opinion too.

• I read this! 1

I find my extroverts tend to wear it like a shield. If they're the center of attention, they don't have to let anyone close because they'll be dazzled by the show. You know?

This may or may not reflect me.

Edited by Death Kitten
  • I read this! 3

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Despite being an introvert, I do greatly enjoy playing extroverts. Like lots of people mentioned, it is a good excuse to engage with other characters. That said I play introverts just about as often and when I do that I usually give them some sort of inciting incident to make it easier to engage with others, like some reason they are forced out of their comfort zone and into the world and might need to seek help or friends. 

• I read this! 1

dinocountry_banner.png

The West just got wilder...

I end up making a fairly equal amount of introverts and extroverts. However, I fourth the notion that Exos are way easier to work with given most standard base interactions. My introverts tend to only do well if I can find a particular character type to be his/her main (initial at least) interaction. Therefore, if I can't find such a person, they end up sadly moving to the wayside. 

Then I also have an EXTREME exo that I use to bother everyone else's Intros XD for, you know, reasons lol.

• I read this! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• 2 months later...

Being someone who the MBTI cannot decide whether she is INFP or ENFP - I find writing both equally rewarding, sometimes difficult, and overall enjoyable.

For extroverts, I love to write them because they tend to have this zany, over expressive feel to them. You can put them in a lot of interesting situations and have them fluidly act within them and come out either on top or laughing at rock bottom. What makes them difficult at times is that some Extroverts that I play have too much pride, or come off as superficial, materialistic, and ignorant. These traits make them assholes, whether or not they mean to be. This isn't all extroverts, of course, just the ones I normally write.

When it comes to Introverts, I enjoy writing them because they're normally very peaceful and collected. They can remain calm in a situation and appear as cool or mysterious to other characters, which attracts attention without them even trying. On the flip side, they can also be highly anxious, clumsy, awkward, or all around shy - which means having them put into social situations is fun for a whole lot of other reasons. Introverts that I play are either cool and anxious or even mute by choice.

I always try to tie in different traits to make my characters not entirely one or the other. Maybe because I'm not one or the other?

• I read this! 2

I myself am a huge extrovert so I tend to play them...ish

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

• 2 weeks later...

I am an extreme introvert in real life. So I've always had trouble playing extroverted characters. For that reason, I usually only play introverted characters. Though recently I've been trying to get out of my comfort zone, so I have been trying to play more extroverted characters. 

E98pZGb.jpg

Haa, I was going down my character list before replying to this post and I've got almost a perfect mix of both + a couple others who I can't decide on. In real life, I'm only slightly more extroverted. I guess ambivert would be a good descriptor.

Extroverted characters are fun because they get things going. A lot of my extroverted characters are extroverted to the extreme - they're zany and loud and likeable and come up with whacky ideas and hijinks just for the sake of it. Throw an extroverted character in a situation and you're bound to walk away with at least three new plot threads to keep track of.

It's mostly the big things, though. Extroverts put things in motion, but the thing is, they're always moving. Introverts are also fun because they usually have more subtle ways of navigating the world, and through them you can explore the more nuanced aspects of the 'verse. Sometimes, the little things are as interesting, if not moreso than the big ones.

I find that the trick with introverted characters is to start them off with some already established connections. That way, they can do things without it being forced or unnatural. Either that, or throw them in a situation where interacting with others is unavoidable; having them work in the same place as more outgoing characters is a good way to go about it.

affbutton.png

• 1 month later...

I play both more or less equally, I think! It's not something I think about too much, and if I have had trouble getting posts with a character than it has happened to both my introverts and my extroverts. Generally though, I have not had much issue in getting threads with either of them; I am pretty good with thinking around corners and finding reasons for characters to meet regardless of their personality. And under the right circumstances, an extrovert can become introverted and vice versa. It all just depends!