Earning Items In Game

Morrigan

• Admin

So I've been on a site that you have to earn currency and with that currency you can purchase things on the site. Be it items, special abilities, you name it. And it's a very interesting concept, it's something I've wanted to implement in a survival horror game if I ever find some interested parties.

Now my curiosity is, how do people feel about this? Do you feel like it's too much effort to earn special things and you just want to start off the baddest of the bad? Would you play on a site that you had to earn things through playing?

I know that most people may think it "stifles your creativity" when in reality I believe that it gives you plot opportunities. I mean if you don't start off with the nuclear switch in your head but you earn it through posting actively then apply for it. Now the kicker here is that you can either outright pay for it with this in game currency or you can earn it through active posting. With the active posting you get a prompt in order to start off getting the thing that you applied for so that you can act out getting it in character.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I've played a lot of Tabletop RPGs over the years, and character building that is based upon point buys and experience points usually provide two things: better balance between players, and provides people with goals and challenges to aspire toward.

This sort of earned perks reminds me of this aspect of Tabletop gaming, and I certainly am not opposed to it, if I like the story and setting of the game. It helps address players who don't understand reasonable limits on their character building and back story, it allows for people to feel like there's a balance within the game while allowing people to progress in whatever direction they like.

• I read this! 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I think it would work for some games and not work for others.  However I wouldn't be against something like that being used in a game if it's a type it would work for. Just because I am not sure how well it would work in a real life type game.  But it could probably work really well in the type of game you are thinking of.

• I read this! 1

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

I love the idea, but I have almost zero good ideas for what to include in my site's Store!  

If you guys wanted to share some with me, I'd be A-OK with that! lol

vhyn2f.jpg  2vubgx1.jpg

• Admin

For this it's character development based. So active members can improve. Like upgrading a limb to be more powerful or add features (in a Sci-Fi game) or add magic if it's a magical game.

If you are talking about board currency shops there are any number of things that you can do. IC forums, new items, special powers etc.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

In general I like this kind of system. I think the line about stifling creativity is nonsense. I've only ever heard it used to try to justify why a character is this super badass without putting in any work. (Basically just that they can pull anything that they need out of their hat. Deus Exing their characters out of any jam they find themselves in.)

Like mentioned there are tons of things that can be added. On a previous site I had that used this system we had a fair variety of weapons and powers available.

Spoiler

From "common" things like a Scar-L to crazy ones like a MGL-320 grenade launcher. We had a fairly extensive list including: handguns, shotguns, submachine guns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, explosives. 

Plus magic weapons like a sword that could light on fire. And then a variety of magic spells and abilities.

Plus since we used a race system where each race had distinct advantages so like Demons couldn't use guns but they had magic. Humans (for the most part) couldn't use magic but they had guns. Hybrids were rare and typically not as powerful as a demon but could use guns and magic.  Witches existed but they had to make a pact with a demon to get magic. (Or a normal human could buy a magic amulet that granted some magical power...)

• I read this! 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I have two sites that use an Item/Currency system. And I like it very much, it adds a little Pizazz and avenue for development/progress. One of them is open and in use, the other site is currently still being set up but I hope to open it soon. Both systems have very different "intentions" so-to-speak.

Open Site Theme:  Panfandom Crossover

The premise is set up to place the characters (pulled from their home worlds) into a sort of...game where nothing is real in the sense that they used to know. In this "Game", players earn GP and Levels for completing missions, having threads with other players, fighting each other/bosses, etc. These GP can be exchanged for In-Game items (taken from various sources) that can be used to progress threads. Players can trade/pay each other with these GP and Items, as they both exist In-Characterly within the game.
Example Items:

Spoiler

DBZ scouter - lets you see the character levels In-Thread.
Navi in a Jar - Stuck on a mission? Bust out Navi for a directional hint from Staff.
Babel Fish - translates any language (became very useful in a Pokemon Thread)

In-Progress Site Theme: Modern Dark Fantasy

All invented locations, with a Lore that I hope to finish filling in by member contribution (I have some things fleshed out 100%, other things just skeletal). As members post, their character earn "relics", an unofficial currency existing currently outside the RP itself. There are two types of items one can get: Abilities, and Artifacts. Abilities are just that, and intended to give an existing character an upgrade to supplement development in the RP. Some abilities are restricted to certain species and/or character class requirements - some are included automatically with particular species sign-ups as well. Artifacts on the other hand, 99% of the time have a special connection with plot and lore. They can be traded or given among players, each having a particular Boon or Ailment in addition to their place in a larger plot.

Artifact Example:

Spoiler

A Seeing Glass - particularly an ancient hand mirror that allows communication with the dead.  It's Bigger Plot connection is that it is among a collection of 6 items each holding a piece of power stripped from an ancient creature by the gods themselves - fearing that this creature was too powerful to continue its current existence in the world. The "Legends" thread explaining that facet of lore contains plenty of "plot openings" for somebody to play and create with as they see fit, without trying to tunnel anybody into a particular train of plot development.

If a character wants to try collecting the artifacts to "free" the creature or even try to control it; he or she would have to ICly find and approach any other player characters who may already have possession of any of the items.

Edited by CovertSphinx

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I think this is pretty cool, like a tabletop sort of dealio. I can see how it might make playing veterans less possible, but if you want to play someone just starting out then it's a pretty good system.

even on sites that allow you to start as experienced characters, i like some things being on an "earned" basis. that way you have an ingame way of tracking a character's progress.

• 1 month later...

I think that this sort of earning-system is motivational for roleplayers and keeps staff on their toes. It also ensures activity by doing those two things, or at the very least promotes it in a subliminal sense.

This system can be done in various ways as well. Supernaturals, Survivals, and even Real Life's if done right. For example, if you're real life rp has some sort of gimmick to it (celebrity based) than making items to make or break your character might be a fun thing to earn, or let's say the gimmick was a murder mystery. Having an item to help/harm characters, or give a plot advantage, might be very useful and overall a good plot twist for the entire gang if the plot advantage was something you could "secretly" buy.

I actually prefer these systems in some form, because it personally motivates me to plot and post with a variety of characters. However, not everyone is an item hoarder like myself.

• I read this! 2

In theory I love the idea of it. Normally in my post apocalyptic games I give people missions to go on and at the end of the mission I roll a dice to see what they earn or don't earn. In that situation people shouldn't just find everything they want. Some people love this and some people hate it.

For stores thats another thing I love. I never used them because of opposition from early members in my games, but I've always liked people to earn things in the game instead of just being handed them. Most people when they join fandom games they do so to have everything their canon character already has. I get this, but as someone whose also rp'd OCs I know how they get left out in the dark a lot because the canons have everything. Having a store to buy for example secret headquarters, weapons, a spot onto a team ect ensures that everyone has a fair chance to do so and its also something they have to earn because of needing points from posting. My games don't save anything just for the canons so its not really an issue for me, but I like how it might make things funner for some people.

People can still be as creative as they want without getting items from a store. It doesn't stop them from really doing anything. It just gives them something to look forward to if they choose to do so.

• I read this! 2

• 1 month later...

I personally feel that games where you have to earn things ICly provide more plotting opportunities and a more dynamic story. However, I also enjoy stories that involve a lot of struggle- and that's what the basis of most systems provide for a game. That's not fitting for every fitting or genre, or every play preference. In the end, it's like having a word count or applications- if a person doesn't like that that is the way the game is played, then they just won't join. Ignore them if they whine about it stifling their creativity- no one forced them to sign up in the first place.

• I read this! 2

On SHIELD as part of the massive overhaul to try and a) encourage further plotting b ) stop people having instant badass characters we have a shop. We also run missions. To participate in missions with actual gear you have to have brought items from the shop first and assigned them for that character. However I've gone one step further to encourage community building in missions. You have the following options. When you sign up for a mission you get a 500BP bonus per character. You can select whether or not to spend all the 500BP on buying items just for your character, pool your bonus (es) to buy items as a whole group, buy items and donate some for other people to ask to use, or else buy some items for your character and pool the rest of the money. This way say for example one character is a sniper but doesn't have a 'decent' rifle to utilise, or heck even if people want to get some half decent weapons at the start they can 'pool' their currency together, buy items as the group, and then distribute them as needed. 

• I read this! 1
adminuserbar.png.71315bfc91f356787fd0e77311e6f224.png

• 2 weeks later...

On my site the general rule is you can RP your character having anything you want. However, to get mechanical benefits you have to roll items through treasure or craft them by breaking down other items.

There are also artifacts which are super powerful items, but anyone can challenge you to a PVP battle for them. So, you take them at your own risk.

• Admin

That's a pretty cool method @eternalshenron a little too MMO for me but I can see its merit.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Yup we have a store on our site where you can buy things for you and your character using site currency. it's rather fun! plus members can earn money when they post and make new threads which can encourage them to write more