Least Favorite Trends

Morrigan

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Exactly. If it were in person, I could get it. But we're writing. You are typing "She//He/The" repeatedly in every post, shipper, app, etc. There is no reason to add another field for it. As for players, I've found that most RPers resort to "they" unless specifically told otherwise/or told the individual's gender.

I also don't understand "rebooting" a site. Maybe because I've only ever seen it happen a few weeks after they've been open but I don't get why. If someone can explain this to me, please do. xD

Often as happened with me this week (My site is down atm) something goes wrong, horribly wrong. In one instance we lost our server some years ago, they went bankrupt. We had some backups, but they weren't compatible with the new data base we were provided, so we had to start from scratch ie: a reboot. Now it looks like I may have to do it again, only this time I do have a decent copy of our forum DB from last October. All recent posts of the last 2 weeks I have copies of in my email replies. So again another reboot.

• Admin

A reboot sucks! Fortunately I've never had to do that. *go go owning your own server*.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

12 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

A reboot sucks! Fortunately I've never had to do that. *go go owning your own server*.

Fortunately I have some wonderful friends, one of them has her own server and has offered to host ours on hers. We both use SMF so that is awesome to. She is brilliant. Which reminds me, I must get here over here :)

4 hours ago, Rune said:

I also don't understand "rebooting" a site. Maybe because I've only ever seen it happen a few weeks after they've been open but I don't get why. If someone can explain this to me, please do. xD

While we didn't shut anything down for it, we held an activity check, and did a soft 'restructuring' of the site. New member groups, new skin, new layout, and a new twist on the plot. It felt like a refresher rather than a solid reboot. We made that choice because our activity dipped to practically non-existant, and I am not content to let my site die, not when we were one of the first to pick up specifically at the end of the Civil War movie. We had a lot of hype right out of the gates, then people just got lazy. They never came back, life got in the way, so on so forth. So after losing a few popular members, things happened and we went down to nearly losing half of our characters because people just weren't feeling it. Rather than let the site die, staff got together, got deeper into the plot pool of plot, expanded, devised a timeline of events, and now here we are. We're still struggling for new members, but they're trickling in with new seasons of shows coming out.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is it's a means of keeping the site, rather than letting it die and fester into inactivity forever.

• I read this! 2

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

@mellomeme on that same note you mentioned. After our last collapse, we picked up many new members by changing from a simple RPG site, to a Sci-fi and Fantasy forum (much like Gateworld). a lot came to us for that, then they got into role play :)

• I read this! 1

• Admin

@Space_Rogue and @mellomeme this conversation has gotten severely off topic. Please return to the purpose of the thread and take the conversation to PM or profile posting please! Thank you.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

*eep* Sorry Morr.

On topic, >>> people who insist on using Anime pics for real life type RPG's.....

• I read this! 4

Guest Archaic Cyborg

For reboots, I can understand some of them- I'be done it at least twice. In my opinion,  you reboot a site if there': major lore revisions and stuff,  like if you figure out a better way to portray xyz, but you can't just.. do it in the middle of an active game! It would constitute as godmodding, ala 'well, pretend that werewolves were never allergic to silver! 8D'. I'd only reboot an old game; or a new-ish one (6+ months) if there's fuckall players.

Pronouns. Fuck. As others have said,  there's always a life story involved. Always some epic drama. I don't care to know that. I assume people are a unisex 'they' unless their profile says x or whatever. So it amuses me when I see SJWs ranting about discrimination because a bloody IC application has no identity or pronoun field. Staff aren't phobic because of the absence of ___! >(

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2016 at 11:54 AM, Space_Rogue said:

*eep* Sorry Morr.

On topic, >>> people who insist on using Anime pics for real life type RPG's.....

Indeed. Bonus points when the rules state real life faces only, but they still ask if they can use art.

Kinda related to this, I don't like the trend to personify cartoons, or the opposite, animeify live action. I've noticed it's getting quite common to animeify Game of Thrones, for example. I apologise to anyone who runs such a site that reads this, but I just find it jarring to see a setting like that represented by cutesy chibi faces.

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 2

• 1 month later...
Guest Ember

I'm sure this has been said elsewhere at some point, but teeny tiny fonts

Big Blocky category boxes in a layout that fit only 3 boards on your screen and it takes friggen forever to scroll down the homepage of the forums. I don't care how "decorative" the skin looks, to me its a malfunction in mechanics. Seen on about 90% of Jcink-type boards I find.

• I read this! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• 4 years later...

I understand the importance of activity rules... but my biggest pet peeve is requiring someone who might have a full time job, family obligations, and well, a life to live off the internet but still want to participate in writing, to make a post on a weekly basis. Maybe I am too lenient on my posting requirements, but I prefer to be lenient. Plus, I don't want to monitor whose posting and who isn't on a weekly basis.

• 1 month later...

At the tumblr and animanga scene, present tense writing is becoming more common than past tense writing. I've grown up on past tense and as such the new trend of present tense is one of my least favorite things. Reading and replying to present tense posts also negatively impacts my own writing (becoming a clustereff of two tenses put together) and asking people to write in a specific tense for you is awkward as heck. 😑

• Agree 1

AFF1.gif

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2021 at 4:49 PM, Aine said:

At the tumblr and animanga scene, present tense writing is becoming more common than past tense writing. I've grown up on past tense and as such the new trend of present tense is one of my least favorite things. Reading and replying to present tense posts also negatively impacts my own writing (becoming a clustereff of two tenses put together) and asking people to write in a specific tense for you is awkward as heck. 😑

i've always written third person present tense. i started on chat rpgs in MSN chats waaaay back when. i've been roleplaying for so long that to try to change tenses from present to past would be... so difficult. i actively avoid sites that require me to write a certain way because of it. i use roleplaying as a fun leisure activity and having to stop and edit my posts every word because i'm still writing present tense is miserable lol. 

i really hate tiny fonts and plethora of gifs as everyone has mentioned. i also hate characters who are portrayed as badass/mean/mouthy who hide behind a closed PvP system or stop replying to any thread where there's a threat to their character because of their mouthiness. 

That all those gifs people use now a days never loop! As an animator this makes me so sad.

• Agree 2