A roleplayers squee moment

Amelia

We all have those moments during roleplaying where we just roll over with joy, excitement, happiness or feelings where you just squee -- a word that attempts to describe what you feel. --- 

I have been having those moments a lot lately and I just wanted to share some positivity. 

That moment when you find people you really click with and you are just eager to reply to. You cannot wait to see what the next post. In addition to that you enjoy reading their other threads and seeing whats going on because it makes things more alive. 

That moment when threads cross over and it is obvious that there is an inter-connectivity across the board without it being forced. It happens naturally and every is just part of something larger. 

That moment when you find the perfect song that describes a situation better than that you can do with words. 

• I read this! 6
  • Love 2

I've been doing a bit to think on stuff that might count as my squee moments and I'm been mostly coming up blank. I know I get annoyed when I have to leave without seeing a response to a post so I can't think on what to say next, and I usually am very impatient for the next post, but I can't really say that would be a squee moment for me.

I think, if I do get really excited about anything in a roleplay, it's the deisgn and flow of the potential for characters. Like, their history, and fleshing out their stories, and all that. Basically, making lore for that character, and in some cases connecting them. But I'm not really sure, so I can't really say that, though. But, I think if I had a squee moment, it would be something to do with my characters in the process of giving them stories that form their lives.

• I read this! 2

Years and years ago I was involved in a one on one RP that, frankly, set the standard super high and I haven't been able to find anyone that compared in that particular niche since.

I found their email and tossed them a note. We're starting it back up. I am making so many happy noises.

(Not EXACTLY what the thread was after, but I'm excited and wanted to share!)

• I read this! 3
  • Cheers 1

@Rune perhaps I should rephrase it to any moments of roleplaying that make you super excited and things you want to share about it. Cause imho it actually fits into what I meant with it! 

• I read this! 1

• 2 weeks later...

When you finish a thread that spanned for several dozen pages, and you're sad ... only to receive a PM from the thread partner asking for a sequel. :D

Or when you have some idea for something that might happen waaaay down the line. Obviously you're hesitant to mention it because then it means the whole thread is micro-managed or something. But then partner conveys the same idea you were thinking to you, and it's just AWESOME that both were thinking of the same end goal.

• I read this! 3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When your plot manages to reach one of the emotional benchmarks you're aiming for... like you want to make your players react to things that are emotionally and morally challenging, and someone finally grabs it and runs with it.

• I read this! 2

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• Admin

When people offer plots. That's always a great squee moment for me.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

When plots that are supposed to be kinda self contained...started sprawling out beyond control. I just love it when things spiderweb like that. 

My biggest squee moment was when an RPer that I admired big time (who also had a great Face Claim for her character that I adored) accepted my idea of a ship.  It was nerdy, it was dorky, but there you have it.

Other exctied moments included my character giving another character a nickname from Sailor Moon and actually making it work for her.    Finding a good vocal inspiration that matched my characters voice AND personality (sad and soulful).  That moment when you're finally out of the "awkwardly threading with new person" phase and finding your flow....or even better clicking immediately.

• 1 year later...

Maybe mine is a bit too character focused, but my biggest squee moment happened to a character I least expected.

A friend and I decided we'd pick up this one plot we'd both been circling around for some time. Eventually, we got it going and we fell in love with the angst, drama, conflict. This went on for MONTHS. We wrote a small novel together, at about 50k words... Then we began to have a turning point. My character had a genuine glimpse of happiness with hers, and they bonded out of some kind of twisted affection as opposed to pure hatred... It was magical. ;D Then they went back to fighting constantly.

I love it when this happens in rp - it's what it's supposed to be about. It makes every rper, no matter how small a role their character plays, feel like they are a part of the story and important to it. This is why I try to acknowledge what everyone is doing, even when my character can't take a big part in it because it's a nice feeling just to know that other people care enough about what you're doing to do it.

• Agree 1

-When you have a "brain twins!" moment with a partner.

-When the characters in the thread make you really feel for them as if they were real.

-When a plot starts moving in an exciting new place that wasn't previously discussed but makes SO MUCH SENSE. 

-When the character just seems to CLICK in my head. Sometimes it's immediately but sometimes it takes time. 

-When I hear a song and it immediately makes me think of a character, plot, or ship. 

Reality is an illusion.