Rules people break that make you facepalm...

Morrigan

• Admin

Basing off the Rules are there for a reason thread I figured we could use some fun and find out what are rules that you have that make you do this:

picard-facepalm_mkuu.jpg

So share your experiences.

My number one is that on my sites you are to sign up with your OOC account as IC accounts are made differently on my sites. So when people sign up with their IC account it always frustrates me. >_<

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

The one that always got me was the no ad rule. For the longest time we didn't allow any sort of advertising on site. (Aside from a link in your signature and using the webpage profile bit.) This was because in my time as admin I've found that people just never listened when it came to ad rules. They did whatever they wanted. They felt entitled to use any space/place that was available. And then had the audacity to whine when someone told them to step off or otherwise called them on their shitty behaviour. 

They'd always fire the excuse "well it's just an ad section"... perhaps so, but it's a privilege not a right. This is on someone else's site. I mean it doesn't matter what you let happen on your site, you don't get to behave that way on other's sites just because you act that way on your own. It doesn't excuse your behaviour. 

Also, to counter another thing that I often heard:

No, there is not a global consensus of acceptable ad space usage. So it means you read the rules. If you don't want to... don't advertise there. I don't care if it takes you an extra minute when you're on a posting spree. I see it as very simple... you don't want people breaking your site's rules so don't break another site's. 

Suppose everyone felt the same way... that utter disregard for each other's sites... how long would it be before someone just started messing with other sites. From DDoS attacks to breaking in or just general vandalism.

• I read this! 5
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

• 3 weeks later...

When someone joins, doesn't read the rules, asks a million questions in the Cbox that could have been answered by reading the "Getting started area" and then complains when they can't do something or are asked to do something clearly stated in the rules/ FAQ. Or better yet, they tell you they love the site but want to change just about everything about it.

• I read this! 9
  • Agree 2
  • LOL 1

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

• 1 month later...

"When someone joins, doesn't read the rules, asks a million questions in cbox"

THIS. 1000000000000000% this!  I completely looks like a dick because I have reached the point where I've just started to toss the Newbie Board link and rules link at people.

• I read this! 6
  • Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 1

I don't consider that a dick move... I mean those documents/sections exist for that very reason. (So staff wouldn't have to keep answering the same things over and over again. And also so if staff weren't online then any member could have someplace to direct these sorts of places to.)

Another one that used to bug me (but I really haven't seen anymore) was when people would open sites on a free host (this was before the premium modes were common) then proclaim they allowed all sorts of mature topics despite that not being permitted. Then they'd have their own rules. Like seriously? You have zero qualms about violating your hosts rules and then have the audacity to post rules of your own? And you then wonder why people break your rules? Do you not see the hypocrisy here? (Of course not...)

• I read this! 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

We had a problem with a metagamer who decided to try and write the lore of a species that wasn't completely released on the site yet as she went along. We had to stop her and pull everything she made up off the board just in case it gave anyone any ideas and had a long talk with her about how she shouldn't be using OOC knowledge of an upcoming species for IC purposes, especially when the admin hadn't even finished the specific lore on it yet. She was shocked and angry, but it's right there in the rules.

Edited by Indio
  • Preach it! 1

We have a list of character creation guidelines in our rules, it includes things like what species aren't allowed (obvious things like Q, less obvious like Tribbles, etc), what sort of background is required for your character to be able to serve on our ship, canon knowledge that you wouldn't have reason to know, etc. Everyone has to click past these rules before they can get to the join form, so the only reason to not know what they say is to scroll past them without reading them.

One of our rules is no existing knowledge of Section 31. This is a very popular thing for people to include in star trek bios, especially when intelligence is involved, but it doesn't make any sense because Section 31 is so very secret, like it doesn't even wink wink nudge nudge exist. Which is why we made a rule about it.

I had a player not only ignore it, but tried to get me to allow her to have a character that has been *recruited* by them. Before she even joined star fleet.

I. Just. Can't.

• I read this! 3

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I'm with you on that, Umbra!  I once had a member join and begin helping out unasked.  I mean, at first I was grateful, because it was nice to see someone so passionate about the board.  Eventually, I was almost tempted to make this person staff.  I'm so glad I didn't though, because she ultimately showed her true colours.  I caught her badmouthing other members (hint: if you're in a Skype group with an admin, don't use that as your bitching platform).  We're not talking a little gripe either but really, really going to town, insulting them as people, mocking their writing, etc.  Truly nasty stuff.  I called her out on it, she threw a fit, left and took a few other haughty members with her.  She swiftly opened a site in the same genre, making her clique staff.  It quickly died.  I'm not even sorry.

• I read this! 4
  • Love 2

aff.png affiliate.png

Ever wanted to explore Middle-earth?  Check out these wanted canons.

What about Attack on Titan?  Go here!

It's the simple stuff that gets me.

"Realistic eye colors only". Then someone applies with glow in the dark green or purple eyes.

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1
  • LOL 1

Guest Archaic Cyborg

'But I waaant to use a anime pic for my chara112' um, no, please stop. Rea life =/= frigging DBZ-esque characters. Go join an animanga rpg or any game that allows all art styles.

'Realistic fur/eye colours and patterns, no Fantasy, ala winged wolves.' Cue appers with green striped coyotes. or mood eyes. aaaaaaargh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The OOC info suddenly known IC one, and I'm super super super guilty of that. It is something I'm working on and honestly didn't realize I was doing it as bad until it was pointed out to me one angry night in chat, and I have been super super super careful.

I think sometimes we just get so wrapped up in all the OOC plotting that goes on or the "Oh he would so do this" as a play by play, that it crosses. Either way...I'm sorry! I'm getting better I swear!!!

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

When people pull out really obscure crap to try to justify their special snowflake.

You only allow things from X place? Well, there was a reported Thing at Place in 1770, so you should let me do it.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1
  • LOL 2
  • Preach it! 1

Probably the most 'face palm' rule ive seen is character limits. like if you like making a lot of characters and can handle that and keep them all active that's good! i shouldn't be restricted to just like 3 or 4. i'm pretty good with keeping all my chars active and posting daily.

• Agree 2