Rules people break that make you facepalm...

Morrigan

'When your application is finished, please bump it or PM an admin.'

The player in Cbox: "My app is finished if anyone is around."

"It's taking a while. I finished my app 10 mins ago, and the admins haven't approved it yet."

"Oh, if nobody noticed, my app is done."

"I'd start a thread with you, but my app hasn't been approved yet."

"Did you read my app, it's waiting to be approved."

Meanwhile, the app has not been bumped, and no PMs were received by any admin, and it looks like it hasn't been proofread.

Edited by Dusty
  • I read this! 5
  • Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Preach it! 2

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

• 2 months later...

I just can't handle when people try to godmode. Jeez, it kills me.

• Disagree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

So the site I'm on is 18+. It is plastered EV. ER. Y. WHERE. You literally cannot do anything without being made to put in your birthdate to prove that you're 18. We STILL get people under 18 trying to apply. Boggles my mind.

• I read this! 2
  • LOL 1

Not reading info topics is a very big no no for me. I don't think people understand that it's painfully obvious when they haven't taken the time to even read what your board is about or how it's run. When I'm interested in a board I make sure to read it's lure and rules so I know what's going on and if it's right for me.

Edited by wicked
A typo
  • I read this! 3
  • Preach it! 3

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

On 11/05/2017 at 3:34 AM, wicked said:

Not reading info topics is a very big no no for me. I don't think people understand that it's painfully obvious when they haven't taken the time to even read what your board is about or how it's run. When I'm interested in a board I make sure to read it's lure and rules so I know what's going on and if it's right for me.

Yup. Favourite one is when the app is just full of generic history that makes zero reference to the setting. A copy paste app that is so vague it could be put anywhere. For example, app mentioning nobles and medieval style social classes in a blade runner type universe. But it's totally vague enough that it doesn't technically contradict the lore. -.-

• I read this! 3
  • Preach it! 1

People trying to join the clearly advertised 18+ site, which says 18+ like eight times in the rules, plus in big red letters in two separate places at the top of the site.... And then listing on their info that they are under 18. How did you miss that?

On 5/9/2017 at 5:43 PM, Kittenmitten said:

So the site I'm on is 18+. It is plastered EV. ER. Y. WHERE. You literally cannot do anything without being made to put in your birthdate to prove that you're 18. We STILL get people under 18 trying to apply. Boggles my mind.

THIS.

• 3 weeks later...

I never really let myself get frustrated by newb stuff because it's my job to try and accommodate them. But probably the most bewildering thing I see is people who try to app characters that aren't allowed under the site rules. You'd think that would be something they tried to find out before trying to join or at least before trying to app a character, but no. Thye somehow managed to read all the other bits about apping a character except the part explaining which characters are eligible. I feel kinda bad honestly. They wind up wasting work.

• I read this! 2
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

yjHUyz0.png

5 hours ago, Marin said:

I never really let myself get frustrated by newb stuff because it's my job to try and accommodate them. But probably the most bewildering thing I see is people who try to app characters that aren't allowed under the site rules. You'd think that would be something they tried to find out before trying to join or at least before trying to app a character, but no. Thye somehow managed to read all the other bits about apping a character except the part explaining which characters are eligible. I feel kinda bad honestly. They wind up wasting work.

It... happens. I somehow feel these are the sort of people who fancy themselves as God's gift to the roleplay world. They probably think that "sure, you may disallow X in your rules, but I'm gonna write X so wonderfully, and wow you so hard, you'd just want to make an exception!"

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1
  • LOL 1

I honestly think they're just a little clumsy. ^^; Usually they don't try and force the issue when I point out that a character isn't allowed, which I'd expect if it were an ego thing.

The bewildering part to me is how they missed it. That's usually like, the first thing I go searching for since it's such an important detail. It's literally at the exact top of my character apping guidelines on my own sites for that reason. |D 'Course, I've only seen this happen on other people's sites, but y'know.

• I read this! 1

yjHUyz0.png

I had one who made so many mistakes in their app, that I couldn't possibly accept the character. When I asked them to fix the mistakes, they were rude, made up stuff about there not being an edit button, etc... So it was no wonder they didn't get any further than that.

Then there was the one who wanted a dragon sorceress so it was clear that they just saw a fantasy site and decided that I'd accept something like that just 'cos it's a fantasy site... Nope. Everything has to fit in with the fandom to be accepted. (The problem with characters like that is I get the feeling that if they were allowed in, all they'd do with the character is mess around and god-mod less powerful/'normal' characters which is something I want to avoid. If I get someone signing up whom I don't think will fit in, I do a google search for their e-mail address and found all they did was make over-powered characters that could kill with a single touch, etc...)

Sometimes I think people just see a fantasy site and think dragons, fairies, unicorns, etc, and think that any old fantasy character is acceptable without knowing any of the lore and history of the fandom and it's apparent because they never refer to any of it in their apps.

Edited by Icewolf
  • I read this! 2

On 6/5/2017 at 7:38 AM, Lawman said:

It... happens. I somehow feel these are the sort of people who fancy themselves as God's gift to the roleplay world. They probably think that "sure, you may disallow X in your rules, but I'm gonna write X so wonderfully, and wow you so hard, you'd just want to make an exception!"

We had someone apply to CW (a modern fantasy site. Werewolves, vampires, etc) with a mutant with multiple personalities. I have no idea why they thought the mutant part would fly but multiple personalities is one of the first things listed in our "You can't do this" list. It was like they were trying to get denied.

• I read this! 2

Posting ads before a site is even opened. Recently happened to me, I had literally put the ad board up and within 10 minutes someone had posted an ad. If there aren't any ad rules, don't post an ad >.<

This wasn't a rule break but still relates to it, I had someone advertise on my PB forum, waaaaay back. I go to Link Back not an hour later and see in there ad rules "NO Proboards Ads Under Any Circumstances". Just a dick move really.

• I read this! 4
  • Like 1

promoimg.png 

16 hours ago, Nixie said:

Posting ads before a site is even opened. Recently happened to me, I had literally put the ad board up and within 10 minutes someone had posted an ad. If there aren't any ad rules, don't post an ad >.<

This wasn't a rule break but still relates to it, I had someone advertise on my PB forum, waaaaay back. I go to Link Back not an hour later and see in there ad rules "NO Proboards Ads Under Any Circumstances". Just a dick move really.

That's why I have the forum turned offline until I'm ready to open, so no one can snoop and post ads.

Ok, in reality it's so they can't see my screw ups trying to get code to work :P

• I read this! 2
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3

Once I had someone join and literally try to rewrite the rules to fit their special character. Like we didn't even offer the creature on the board due to lack of interest in them but they felt we should add them just because they wanted them.

• I read this! 3
  • Like 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +