Rules people break that make you facepalm...

Morrigan

My rp has a few different regional locations and just for simplicity we decided to keep everyone to a common tongue.  Frequently, though it came up where certain members would post made up languages for their characters or have weird language misunderstandings.  Came up many times in post, was addressed to the players, added to the rules, added to the FAQ, discussed a few times on discord.  Then finally a member messaged me directly about a place that we had not officially added yet but let the character still be from there, I explained why I didn't want a new language, and the member proceeded to ignore me and offer to make up the language themselves.  Like I get it, I get the appeal of having fun miscommunications in that way, but we opted to keep things simple rather than create a new language for each new location since we do plan on expanding.  It could just get very complicated very fast and we also wanted to avoid a certain degree of "otherness" implied by using a different language for specifically ONE location when that location is like the equivalent of the "asian country" of the board as opposed to the more European based ones we started out with.   We did it initially as a way to have some positive diversity on the board, but when it's put into an "other" category in regard to language, it just seems to get very Non PC to me and ultimately a bit damaging, but I'm getting off topic a bit.  

Anyway, I guess this is pretty specific, but I guess in regards to rule breaking in general, I feel that if it has been addressed once, I would not mind so much, but when the same thing comes up repeatedly, is in the rules, addressed ad nauseam via public discord forum, via questions forum, via private pm, I become pretty frustrated.  

Anonymous poster hash: 0377e...4d9

• Agree 4

Like others mentioned earlier, there's always the typical one where people decide to not read anything and just ask questions in the cbox. I tend to just repeat myself and say that the answer they're looking for can be found in this thread or that thread.

Another pet peeve of mine is when people get lore wrong in their posts that they got right during the app process. They obviously know what has been established on the board but have chosen to ignore it once they're free to do whatever.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Preach it! 1

On 6/28/2018 at 3:15 PM, Athena said:

Like others mentioned earlier, there's always the typical one where people decide to not read anything and just ask questions in the cbox. I tend to just repeat myself and say that the answer they're looking for can be found in this thread or that thread.

It takes all of my willpower not to just post a link and nothing else.

This always seems to happen when I'm busy or about to go out to attend an important real life obligation too. It's like the RP gods sense when there's something important, and say 'no, you're going to stay here and be a walking encyclopedia'.

• LOL 1
  • Preach it! 3

This one's probably going to sound petty, but the whole "Spell characters names a certain way when registering" being missed seems a little odd to me. If you're registering its common courtesy to read rules first and that's probably one of the first rules listed under either general rules or character creation rules. How do you miss this?

5 hours ago, Honorem said:

It takes all of my willpower not to just post a link and nothing else.

This always seems to happen when I'm busy or about to go out to attend an important real life obligation too. It's like the RP gods sense when there's something important, and say 'no, you're going to stay here and be a walking encyclopedia'.

People will probably consider this rude, but I'd rather point out a person's stupidity than act fake. Even if it loses me a member, at least it lost me a stupid member that would be too lazy to read a post.

^ this is why I don't staff roleplay sites. I'm not a good person.

• Agree 1

Hands down when someone joins, posts their completed application in the complete forum but their profile/mini profile information isn't complete. We legit have it stated in three different places that it has to be completed but sooo many people still manage to just not do it. We're not too hard up much, but for aesthetic reasons, we just want the profile/mini filled in. Also, when people join with their character name in proper capitalization or all caps when our rules state lowercase. 

Character must be 16 years of age or older.

"Can my character be 15?"

• LOL 2

lipsbanner.jpg

Red Light District Role-Playing.

Adult role-playing forum.
Fulfill your fantasies in the Red Light District.

• 6 months later...

Canine roleplay here:
Your first character must be a puppy born into the gang (aged 3 months or younger) or an adopted character of any age.

First thing most people ask..."soo...do I have to start out as a puppy?" And if they're not asking, they're trying to do it anyway.

Edited by Foxypaws

Very simple rule that we have - IC actions have (increasing) IC consequences (aka, your character does something, they will face consequences. If they continue to do the thing after being told to stop, their consequences will increase). The amount of people who take issue with this is mindboggling to me. It used just be the thing done back in the day. 

• LOL 1
  • Preach it! 3

• 2 weeks later...

"If you have issues with another RP site, please keep those issues to that web site, or bring them up with their staff." + "Everything you say in a public room is logged and available for everyone to see. You are responsible for what you say." 
...Watching people in chat (when we first opened) trash talk other RP sites when staff weren't logged in and bringing up personal grievances on my site. About another rp website. 

First: I cannot help anyone with issues that are not about my site. So...Second...

I have no say how other people run their RP sites and I am fine with that, even if whatever they are doing may be incorrect. Second, I don't someone from that forum visiting and thinking my players opinions and on occasion, down right pretty harsh opinions get mistaken for mine. Even if they were mine--I would not voice them unless I knew some serious law breaking/stalking/harassment was going on at the other RP site. I was to foster a community of role players. That, to me, even means role players that play in different ways and different manners than mine or ours. Pair it all down and we're all here to have a good time, write, and make stories come alive. I don't want to pee on anyone's parade. 

tl;dr: Don't bash other people and other sites for doing things different. Or wrong. Or what you think may be wrong.  If it doesn't hurt anyone, I don't believe in the "your fun is wrong!" theory just because it's different than my fun. 

• Preach it! 3

We have certain character types and groups banned on our site sometimes because there are too many of them. This is listed clear as day on our sidebar on every page.  All you have to do is scroll down a little and look, which you should be doing anyway on a new site.

A player apps a character and posts in our notification thread: "I didn't realize x was banned, hopefully I won't have to change it."

-facepalm- What makes you think you won't have to change it?

• LOL 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wrongly sized avatars. We're not a board that has a lot of graphics, there aren't 3 different pics and a mini profile gif, it's just a single avatar of 200x300. The size is stated clearly in the rules. Plus, you can EASILY SEE if the avatar is the wrong size because there's a gap between it and the border and it looks dumb as hell.

Every second member still manages to mess it up though.

• Preach it! 3

image.png.983b918f46a287076416c1e642250e6a.png

On 2/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, The Seven said:

"Well the rules didn't say anything about bad cbox behavior"

Dang you got me, that "don't be a jerk" rule didn't specific the cbox which as we all know is some kind of independent city state within the realm of this forum.  You have bested me.

I swear there is always one person who tries to pull this. lol 

• LOL 2

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png