"Give me ___ or I quit!"

iReadYerMind

• Contributions Mod

So far I've had perhaps the opposite problem...if it is a problem.

What I've gotten is occasionally a person coming in asking if they can play a concept they think is extreme in some way.

Guest: Can I play a tanuki true to traditional Japanese lore with giant testicles?

Me: Sure. Yokai are welcome here.

Guest: Really?

Me: Yes. In Japanese culture nudity and body parts are seen differently than western culture. As long as you handle it with respect, I don't see the problem.

Guest: Of course!

Then I never hear back from them. Now, it is a busy time of year, so that might be it. The little cynic in me says one of them wanted me to say "no," so they could somehow try to sneak it in, or they wanted to be jerks about it somehow. It's happened a good three times and while I was saddened by one, another left me feeling like that person never coming back was a good thing, though I could be wrong on that end.

I'm actually surprised so far this hasn't happened to me, iReadYerMind. Requiring power weaknesses helps, but some will try to skimp that. I will say, I have a Code Of Conduct and consider "Give me or else," a violation of respect, and thus a bannable offense. If they treat me like that, then they'll treat the average member worse and I don't want them around.

I really don't know why that member of yours was so upset. I have a character who can compose music that causes a person to commit suicide. On top of putting a weakness that she gets a random injury that can cause her great harm when she does this, I thought it was pretty much a given not to use any power like that without permission from the other person. The more unusual or powerful the power, the more you need to talk it through with others when you want to use it.

• I read this! 2

Never, ever feel bad for telling someone no to an idea you are not comfortable accepting. It is your playground too, and you deserve to have the site the way you want it. If it doesn't fit with the setting, it doesn't, and you shouldn't feel bad about that. It's your main duty to uphold a level playing field for all members, not to give instant validation to entitled, rude fools.

If you bow to one, you have to be fair and bow to them all, and before you know it your vision for the site is ruined by random stuff that does not fit. Don't back down, stick to your guns. These people aren't the types you want as members anyway. So to answer the question, when someone threatens me like this, I usually respond with 'Alright, bye'. Don't want them there anyway. :P

• I read this! 3

Guest Archaic Cyborg

I don't realy have any new experiences to share; just that ye olde whiner who demanded my Canon assaults her OC; otherwise I'm afilthy pig and a terrible writer, all HER friends know better and support her, etc etc. People and their damn PWP Fantasies.

That said.. I do get appers who complain 'but whhyy' when I have to deny their app. Every board has its own lore. By joining a game, you agree to conform to said lore: don't bloody try to twist lore, rewrite it to suit your idea of vampires or dragons or even gang warfare.  A High Fantasy, LotR-esque game cannot have CATGIRLS. A modern game cannot have them either! D:< I don't care how much you love your character, orhow changing them makes them different. Well, no shit, go join a game that accepts ______~

I do not have the patience for this kind of behavior. Although my forum doesn't have applications, I have encountered this kind of behavior before under difference circumstances. My response is always: "There's the door."

• I read this! 2

I've not had this 'I want this or I'll quit' but I have had people ask if they can have an original character on the board (which, in the introduction, it clearly says OCs are welcome!) and I've also had someone who was funny about the board allowing more than one version of a canon character. I set that up for a reason so that writers can find a place where their version of a character is welcome and they don't end up going on to twitter with it and get endlessly trolled (an experience which I've always found there) or if they have an oc, they can find a writer willing to write a canon for them to ship with, etc.

I've had a few problems with anon people leaving messages in the c-box and although I don't mind guests posting, I need to know who I'm speaking to so it's not difficult to leave a name and a way to contact them. I sometimes wonder if people don't read things on purpose.

On a personal basis, I refuse to rp with characters that have magical powers and such after being heavily god-modded by someone once, so people who refuse to compromise on things just want their character to win at everything, or control the rp. Asking the person you're rping with for permission to use a power isn't a bad compromise and it's the same as asking if your character can heavily injure or kill the other writer's character. If they object, then they're just trying to cause trouble for your site.

• I read this! 3