"Give me ___ or I quit!"

iReadYerMind

So I've recently seen a lot of this sort of behavior in a couple groups I Mod for. Members submit new characters with powers or abilities which are either too powerful, not suited for the setting, or are blatantly breaking a rule.  When Admin asks the member to edit the ability, set guidelines for it, or limit in some fashion, the member responds with, "If you don't let me have this ability as-is, I quit."

The most recent "Gimme or I quit!" response I received was after telling a member that we would allow him/her to have the overpowered ability for his/her character, but that it must only be used with permission from those people he/she is RPing with.  The other admin and I thought that this was a fair compromise.  If the members this character was RPing with were okay with the use of the ability, then we were okay with it too.  Easy, right?  But this member threw a fit and followed it up with the above-mentioned threat.

We generally tell these members, "It's your choice if you'd rather quit, but (rule) applies to everyone, and we feel this is the best compromise in this situation.  Let us know what you decide."

Have any of you noticed this sort of behavior trending with any of your applicants?  How do you and your admin handle it?  Just wanted a little input!  Thanks guys!

• I read this! 3

vhyn2f.jpg  2vubgx1.jpg

I haven't noticed this too often really. (But I'm starting to wonder if maybe I'm just too much outside the roleplay "mainstream"...)

Though in cases where people have demanded too much I simply refuse. I don't apologise or anything, it's more like: "This character needs <changes> to be accepted." 

Subsequent whining or fits are met with their app simply being archived/denied or removed. I mean when staff (or game operator) tells you to make a change... it's really not up for debate. Getting haughty with the staff won't make them change their mind and it's a pretty good method to get an invite elsewhere (possibly via banhammer). 

Spoiler

56298248.jpg

or, if you're feeling less generous....

ban%20hammer.png

• I read this! 5
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

@VirusZero - Do you ever feel bad/guilty/mean for being so strict?  I often find myself wondering if I'm too harsh when I make those sorts of responses.  Maybe I'm just a big softy. xD

• I read this! 1

vhyn2f.jpg  2vubgx1.jpg

• Admin

If it doesn't work it doesn't work. It's like someone telling me "magic" in a hardcore sci-fi setting.

lulz no!

Demands like that are petty and often mean that you weren't the site this person was looking for in the first place.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I don't think I'm even being that strict. I mean if you come onto my site and start tossing ultimatums or unreasonable demands... That's a pretty big indicator to me that it's not going to work out. Now if someone had an idea for something and approached me reasonably, maybe we could work something out. (Like them messaging me first and being like "I've got this idea for a character, but they're a little different. Here's how... I know they're probably a risky type. But can we work them in somehow?" and then maybe we can reach some kind of agreement. )

But also why should I feel bad for upholding the standards of the site? I mean I don't think it's unreasonable to put a stop to Johnny McFunkiller to save a bunch of other people from having to deal with that. (I don't believe in community self-policing/weedout. I mean if you, as the admin, have forced the community to get rid of the bad eggs then you haven't done your job and are making the community suffer.)

• I read this! 5
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I've had a handful of cases where I've had to come in and stick my boot down. 9/10 times the person vanishes. Sometimes I feel bad, but I've never been that desperate for members to let the integrity of my site suffer.

• I read this! 4

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Looks like I'm just a softy, then!  I feel mean for enforcing rules even when a person is in a clear violation of them. lol!

• I read this! 1

vhyn2f.jpg  2vubgx1.jpg

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Perfect thread, this! /popcorn

/bored out of his mind without rp, FFFFFF

My co-admin is better at putting her foot down than I am, and I'm the more.. diplomatic of the two of us.  We make a good team.  She helps handle situations which require a firm hand, I help handle the ones that require a little more careful wording.  Sometimes I feel more like a customer service representative than an RP admin. Haha

• I read this! 2

vhyn2f.jpg  2vubgx1.jpg

I fucking love these people. Because they are a giant red flag in and of themselves. They immediately let you know by demanding these outrageous things that they will never be satisfied and your game is better off without them.

Hold to your guns. If you bend the rules once, they will expect them bent every time they so much as sneeze.

• I read this! 2

2 hours ago, Rune said:

I fucking love these people. Because they are a giant red flag in and of themselves. They immediately let you know by demanding these outrageous things that they will never be satisfied and your game is better off without them.

Hold to your guns. If you bend the rules once, they will expect them bent every time they so much as sneeze.

Right!  Give them a finger, they take the whole hand.

We did not and do not put up with this sort of thing.  I would love to have higher numbers on our RP forums, but not at the expense of the 'safety' of the community.  RPers who think they're god's gift to the world and should be revered as such (regardless of their actual skill, demeanor, or friendliness) are never a good addition to any RP community.   If they can't work with the admin and abide by the site's rules, they will certainly not work well with non-admin whom they feel are beneath their notice.

Having said that, I guess my biggest reason for posting this thread was to get feedback on your guys' actual interactions or PMs to these members.

• I read this! 3

vhyn2f.jpg  2vubgx1.jpg

1 hour ago, iReadYerMind said:

Having said that, I guess my biggest reason for posting this thread was to get feedback on your guys' actual interactions or PMs to these members.

I had an EPIC laydown I gave once....went to look for it but couldn't find it on the board where it had taken place.  I think I eventually deleted it a few years back. Needless to say, after I addressed her Complaints, every time she and I run into each other on a board she vanishes.

Edited by CovertSphinx
  • I read this! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• Admin
2 hours ago, iReadYerMind said:

RPers who think they're god's gift to the world and should be revered as such (regardless of their actual skill, demeanor, or friendliness) are never a good addition to any RP community.

Damn it.

/ragequitsrping

I am god's gift to roleplaying... Why you hurt me so bad?

/cries

/totallyjoking

I don't really have any smack down ones. No.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

In the days of yore, when forum RP was new and Yahoo groups were the thing, there was this one gal who tried to join my fandom group with a ridiculously overpowered character, who did not fit with the fandom's universe/laws/archetypes, etc. and who said she had never read the book series.  We told her we could not accept her character as written and recommended she read at least the starter book for the series... to which she replied, basically, "Screw you!  My grandpa was a published author and HE said I'm highly skilled!  You should be happy I even applied to join this group!  I'm far more advanced than anyone here!" and then ragequit.

We admin had a good laugh over it.   

I don't understand people sometimes. >.> 

• I read this! 2

vhyn2f.jpg  2vubgx1.jpg

• Admin
4 hours ago, iReadYerMind said:

I don't understand people sometimes. >.> 

Only sometimes?

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png