Why did you make your forum?

Josie

Hm. Dropped out of RP late last year. I attempted my hand at an Animal Crossing site, but despite my love of the idea, it slipped away from me. I've been toying with moving it from SMF to Vesta though. So you may see it again. Maybe. I don't know. And my current site, Moribund, is loosely based on a premise I've always wanted to explore but I don't want to be confined by any one fandom so it broke out and became its own thing.

I made it because I hadn't seen anything like it... then I saw Vexxor? Which is also "Cyberpunk w/ Demons" but I think after my initial OH SHIT moment, once I read all their lore, I feel comforted that while our tagline could be the same, we are vastly different sites. Good luck to you all. May your sites be everything you hope they will be. ❤️

• Love 2

Reality is an illusion. 

I started my first (v2.0) three years ago because I was tired of people telling me that if I thought so much of doing things better to just start my own. I also wanted a place with the same vision that I had for a site and something that I could enjoy with friends. It has become a home for many and family in its own way. Then when I started the second one it was learning from old mistakes and to continue the feeling of family, community, and home. It has also become a haven for us to enjoy writing and find our passion for it again. It's been a crazy road and I look forward to many more to come.

• Love 1

spacer.pngDecadence

• 1 month later...

My co-admin and I opened our site because we wanted a place to chill and write. We literally didn't care about anything else. We still don't truly care if we're "successful" or not because we're enjoying what we're writing, and that's what we feel like matters. The rest is just extra. ❤️

• Fuck Yeah! 1

siggy

I started STTA because I have not come across to many Shadowhunter Jcink RP that play into both eras like mine does, I really enjoy the Victorian and the Modern Era and we decided to make it an Alternate Universe with our own little twists on the species as well as leaving some of the original content. We don't all any Canon just to get away from the norm you know?

I think that, like most people, I like the worlds in my own head more? Other people do really amazing things, but somehow I have trouble getting enough information and intimacy with other worlds to suspend my sense of disbelief, or inspire the muses. I love details - it's really hard for me to get into other peoples worlds, because somehow the things they know innately are rarely translated well to something they can communicate to others. 

That might just be a reflection of my ego? Who can say? Not even I know for sure - and it's my head. 

That, and I found an amazing writing and administrative partner who always seems to appreciate a hand with minutiae and plotting and dming and have built an amazing long-distance friendship with. So there's that, too 😄

So, I guess what started off as a hope to share the things in my head with others turned into a chance to build something both in real life and in roleplay, too - and that's why we do this, right?

Edited by psychodrow
correcting post
  • Love 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are 8,000 Marvel sites out there. I know this. I've KNOWN this. But one type of Marvel site I couldn't seem to find was an MCU only site -- no comics, no OCs, just straight MCU. And I totally get it -- the MCU did a lot of really frustrating things to a lot of characters, the movies are very hit or miss in overall quality, and the entire narrative of the universe is super convoluted. But the comics are guilty of all of the above as well, and I don't have the time or money to get into them. And, if I'm admining a site, I'd rather not have to do a lot of research to determine if a comic char's app is, nor do I want to argue with someone that their OC is or isn't ripped off an existing character or is too OP for my site.

That's not to say there aren't MCU only sites out there right now -- there are! But then of course a lot of them are set in the future/post-Endgame, and I genuinely didn't want to play in a Marvel space that didn't have Cap or Tony. So, I made an MCU only site where you could not only play characters who were killed/written off, but from any point in time in their on-screen appearances. It's been going really well so far! I've debated expanding it to non-MCU and OCs, but I put a few polls out there to my members and they're a lot like me -- they want a place that's just MCU, so I'll keep it that way as long as it's what the people want! 

Fun fact, I actually almost started a Marvel site a few years ago just called "Another G*****n Marvel Site", just for the self-aware irony. 

spacer.png

are you an mcu fan? are you not a fan of what the movies/shows did at some points? do you sometimes wish you could turn back time? us too!

visit us at neverisnow.jcink.net

• 5 months later...

Got addicted to Witcher, saw no rps of it, then proceeded to make an au site for it. That and I really enjoy staffing so I was happy to start from the bottom up. 

• Love 1

banner.gif

• 1 month later...

I'm still very much building my forum, but the biggest reason why I'm making it is because I was finding it difficult to enter into well established HP set sites and finding a place in them. I've been trying to find a home in well established HP RP sites so I can be sure they aren't about to die on me or close or anything, but the trade off is these kinds of sites usually have literal years of character history on site. This is pretty awesome, really, but in the instance that you maybe want to take up a canon character, it can be really difficult to integrate that canon with such a significant site history. Sometimes, that character might have had a long time player and their history is recorded and quite set. Its just a matter of reading and referencing that established material. But in other cases, like one I'm in at the moment, the canon is a major canon, but hasn't had a lot of players over time. So major major site events affecting all the characters around him have come and gone, come and gone, and trying to understand his place in all that history is really difficult, because 1) a player wasn't there with him and 2) players of characters around them have npced what they he would have done or said and yeah. 

Basically, I wanted to make my own site with the intention for it to last a long time, but change how new players are able to integrate characters in established site history going forward. I haven't entirely worked out the kinks yet, but I'm optimistic I will be able to. I can only try, right?

• Love 2

I made both Prometheus and Apollo because I have a hard time with the broader Star Trek RPC within fleets, where I've simmed for about 11 years on-and-off. Nothing against that style of gaming, but it's far too structured for me, and I like more freedom than what is usually offered in most of those communities.

apollostation.gif.cd7db540d2caff85d08b42abf82613f3.gif

On 12/4/2021 at 7:36 AM, AlmightyZiggy said:

I'm still very much building my forum, but the biggest reason why I'm making it is because I was finding it difficult to enter into well established HP set sites and finding a place in them. I've been trying to find a home in well established HP RP sites so I can be sure they aren't about to die on me or close or anything, but the trade off is these kinds of sites usually have literal years of character history on site. This is pretty awesome, really, but in the instance that you maybe want to take up a canon character, it can be really difficult to integrate that canon with such a significant site history. Sometimes, that character might have had a long time player and their history is recorded and quite set. Its just a matter of reading and referencing that established material. But in other cases, like one I'm in at the moment, the canon is a major canon, but hasn't had a lot of players over time. So major major site events affecting all the characters around him have come and gone, come and gone, and trying to understand his place in all that history is really difficult, because 1) a player wasn't there with him and 2) players of characters around them have npced what they he would have done or said and yeah. 

Basically, I wanted to make my own site with the intention for it to last a long time, but change how new players are able to integrate characters in established site history going forward. I haven't entirely worked out the kinks yet, but I'm optimistic I will be able to. I can only try, right?

This ^^ HP is just one of those rp fandoms where there's either a lot/hard to get going in SUPER EST sites/and or the new sites don't work out as there's a lot of hp sites and people get picky about it (myself included). I wish you all the luck with this though and it's def a challenge. 

banner.gif

• 3 weeks later...

couldnt find a place that allowed me to play what I wanted to play

I'm currently trying to build a site for Dark City, a concept that I think would be really fun to play with but that I haven't seen anywhere before now. Granted, I also need to build it in a way that would work for an RP, which means tossing out some of the movie ideas and making something more original and only loosely based on the content because I think some elements in the movie don't work well for a RP

I think the reason I've created sites in the past though has a lot to do with the fact that I'm usually looking for a particular genre of RP, and either not finding it or finding that the communities / RP plots available aren't a good fit for me, so I create my own, and try to create the community I've been looking for. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! My first real 'home' as far as rp sites go was Pandora, a long-living panfandom rp site where I met many good friends. I happily wrote there for a good long while until my divorce pulled me away from rp for a few years. When I got back into rp, I was very sad to hear that Pandora was shutting down. Me and a few close friends I made on that site got together and decided to make another panfandom rp site in its honor, holding on to the key elements we enjoyed about the original site like the player interactivity, welcoming community, and diverse world.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an idea and I really wanted to see it in play; so I took it upon myself to make it happen!

Also, a lot of the rp's I've been on aren't as active as they use to so I have some time to focus on something new.

I tend to be picky...so that usually results in me making my own roleplay that fits my desires. If I can't find something that interests me, make one myself. 😚