Why did you make your forum?

Josie

My reason for creating Star Wars: Last Resort was basically there was no other Star Wars forum at the time where I could play Kylo Ren... and I really wanted to play Kylo Ren! xD

This possibly might work better in the discussion section since it's directed at admins specifically, but since I find my confession kind of embarrassing I figured I'd put it here. xD So! Why did you make your forum? (Past or present forums, either is fine.)

• I read this! 2

• Admin

I'm in process of making my current forum because I don't like most Sci-Fis as they are either space sci-fi or they have creatures and aliens. Give me some androids and artiforgs and lets call it a day.

• I read this! 4

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I started Endless Fight because myself and a group of friends were on another site but it was dying. The root admin hadn't been around in over two years, our second in charge was getting busier and busier and couldn't be around a lot. I was a mod there but my powers were limited. There was only so much I could do and I had to get approval or get the remaining admin to make any big changes. So I decided to start looking at making my own site. Eventually I picked Jcink as a host (because it had features I liked) and created the board on January 21st 2010 before finally opening on Feb 15th 2010. From there the rest is history.

• I read this! 4
  • Agree 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I started Before the Mast from the ashes of Of Saints and Sailors, a site which had died and which I was a moderator on, struggling to keep it alive. I wanted to take everything I liked from all the sites there was something I liked and to reject what I did not like. I guess, since we are six years and a half and going on, I did something good, even if the site did not end being exactly as I wished it to be. And as the story is going on, steadily but way slower than I wished, soon there will be a natural next volume... which is in the planning stages now, and which will continue the stories of the Age of Sail people in the sunset of the Golden Age of Pyracy... Some pirates might retire, some pirates and navy men might get killed... but the survivors have still many stories left to tell in a Caribbean Dawn....

• I read this! 4

I didn't actually start Mortal Ends (people that have known me for a bit know this), however I took over it because I fell in love with it when I found it and I couldn't let it die. I've been keeping it afloat for three years, so it feels like I started it, haha! I liked it because it allowed a bit of a twist on the MCU and as that got more irritating it offered a place to ignore the newly-introduced canon and explore the older elements of the MCU that have fallen away a bit.

• I read this! 4

Find me on:

Mortal Ends   x5d17s.jpg
{Erin}   {Little Bird}

Where to start with SHIELD.

Basically I was only finding comic verse marvel rps and I really liked the concept of SHIELD (the actual organisastion) so I decided "lets do a rp out of it" then I fell out with it for I think about a year because issues we won't go into here but in the relaunch I hope I've fixed (so far so good!) and yeh stuff happens XD

• I read this! 3
adminuserbar.png.71315bfc91f356787fd0e77311e6f224.png

I started "The Games" because I needed somewhere I could play my lesser-fleshed characters (and try new canons), not be limited to a particular fandom/style/genre, and generally be able to experiment. Especially with the fun little item/shop system I had found for proboards. Having a Crossover (that doesn't have to be played as a crossover if desired) that is open enough to change with the moods of the community seemed a very good idea at the time. Even if it currently has 3 and a half RL people, its a fun in-between for lighter RPs. And the perfect place to hang out between "main" boards. I needed that side dish emotionally.

With "Onyx Treaty" (Not listed in the directory here, but half open half still in construction), I always wanted to do a political-intrigue heavy version of the "Hidden fantasy world" genres. Full of humans, vampires, werewolves, angels, demons, witches, faeries, and even deities for extra level of Puppetry. Magic, politics, dissolving ancient treaties..... most boards I came across were either Vamp OR Wolves, Vamps vs Wolves, humans vs whatever, fandoms, or open conflict based.

Edited by CovertSphinx
  • I read this! 3

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Guest Archaic Cyborg

I made Hobb's End because the survival horror games on Insanejournal are severely lacking in survival, and horror, and are dominated by the MCU.

I made my au Fable II game, because there are none! And I have a Fable itch, damn it.

I created Legends of Arda because I got tired of certain things that had gone on twitter, and I tried various sites looking for a home for my characters. I found I didn't really fit in on the panfandom sites (even though I love the concept of it) because there weren't any Tolkien writers on them. I wanted the positive experiences I had on twitter (which works for panfandom because a lot of people are on the site) but wanted to ditch and get away from all the people who cyberbully via making secret accounts, using 'rant' accounts to anon bully people, etc. I've found social media rp sites and they are a good idea, if the user base is big enough, but when you're the only person in  particular fandom and everyone else only rps in fandoms you aren't interested in, or have a great deal of knowledge about it's not much fun. The Tolkien forums I did find didn't have the characters free which I wanted to write for, had so many rules that it felt like I was studying for my uni assignments all over again and had very tiny fonts in conjunction with the rest, made it difficult for me to read.

I didn't want to do it at first because having tried setting up forums before and not being flooded in members, I thought it would be a lot of work if no one joined it, but I wanted a proper home for my characters, so I made the board.

• I read this! 1

I'm working on my site because there isn't anything like what I'm looking for. There isn't much for the Georgian Navy, and I'm mostly interested in the daily life and sailing aspect of the navy rather than politics. This is something I've been wanting to do for a couple years, though it was only recently that I found someone to co-admin who is as interested in naval stuff as I am. The Napoleonic War era seemed like a good fit for the sort of action and adventure type events I wanted to have, plus there is a lot of documentation on the time period.

• I read this! 2

Old West is a great historical genre and not many are out there. If they are they don't survive long.

Heart of the West came from a group of dedicated, albeit, very busy writers (with diverse skills ranging from history degrees to coding to graphic art) who love the genre and are willing to stick with the game, even in the times where activity may ebb a little.  We made it so there were just enough of us so that there would always be at least one active admin in the worst times of RL distractions and realities. We also wanted to be as true to the era as we could and have a forum that was aimed toward the intermediate level writer but still aimed to be as inclusive and welcoming as we could within the confines of the genre, era and lore of the game. Making a clear definition between OOC and IC.

• I read this! 2

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

• 2 weeks later...

I have created a piratey forum (yet to be opened) because I was obsessed with Black Sails and the world the writers had shown us. Exploring it has proven to be a huge amount of fun (granted, I'm RPing with excellent people which truly helps.)

• I read this! 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I started my Dragonball RPG because I used to RP on a lot of DBZ sites back in the day. I was working on ideas for a DBZ tabletop game, but decided it would probably do better as a forum RPG. I love game design, so making the mechanics and lore of my particular slice of that universe was fun. 

Oh boy, now here's a story!

So The Hobbit Roleplay, in its original form, wasn’t created by me.  I inherited it, you could say.  It was born from a now long-dead dysfunctional Tolkien site which will remain unnamed.  Basically, the administrators there attempted to micromanage what people were writing.  Ultimately, they decided there could be no liquid time, that everything must be played in chronological order as shown in the first instalment of The Hobbit films (this was not stated in the rules or plot) and, without warning, archived numerous threads.  These threads did not step outside the boundaries of the canon.

It was a very small community, still in its infancy, and more than half the characters required to move plots forwards were still missing.  Another member made a thread and tried to discuss this calmly, asserting that liquid time would allow for more threading opportunities and assuring them that nobody wanted to go beyond what we had been shown in ‘An Unexpected Journey’.  I stress, this was discussed calmly.  There was no disrespect, no arguments or name-calling.  It was just a conversation.

Then, while the discussion was still ongoing, I returned to the forum only to find my accounts had been deleted, all of my threads and character profiles archived.  Every person who had posted in the thread vouching support for liquid time had been removed.  This resulted in them essentially deleting every member of their forum, save one or two.  The conversation had also been archived.  Apparently, the administrators did not appreciate the feedback.

So, from that, a couple of members created The Hobbit Roleplay on InvisionFree.  They invited me to join the staff and then, a short time later, they left.  After all that has happened, it’s nice knowing there are regular back-ups taken of everything we write, and I don’t need to stress about some unpredictable administrator deleting my posts.

• I read this! 3

aff.png affiliate.png

Ever wanted to explore Middle-earth?  Check out these wanted canons.

What about Attack on Titan?  Go here!

small towns and BIG DREAMS I made because I thought a site that was basically based around a town's high school hockey team would be interesting and different, despite a personal lack of interest or knowledge about hockey.

healing horses, healing hearts, my ranch town and newer site, I made because I love horses and it was inspired by a tv show I love because I thought that whole idea would make a great site.

• I read this! 4

Profile graphics by @Lirschen