Writing Behind the Scenes

Josie

Do you ever write "behind the scenes" of a roleplay? And by that I mean do you ever write something for the roleplay- but never actually post it on the site? This could even be with another partner! If so, why?

For example, I do do this. On Google Docs, usually. There are two main reasons why I do it: 1) what's being written isn't at all pertinent to the story and so it doesn't need to be included on the forum, or 2) literally the exact opposite. But if it's important to the story, then why wouldn't I post about it on the forum? Well, technically I do and I don't. I give hints about what's going on, but I do not like to flat out tell people most of the time and enjoy surprising others. As an example, a friend and I once wrote a thread in secret about two characters plotting out specifically how they were going to make a grab for power within the castle. It wasn't a secret that they were going to do this if you had read their posts previously- there had been some dialogue already alluding to this fact. But we wanted the exact method to come as a surprise, so we let them talk about it "in secret" and only posted the thread to the public after they had done the deed. It was fun! 

• I read this! 3

I do write threads alone, or one-shots, and I post them on the site, because they are part of the story and it is nice for everyone to see. Besides I am writing for my readers, so if I have no readers at all... why would I be writing?

• I read this! 1

I sometimes write things that happened before the time frame of the rp to help me get a handle on the character/s involved, and these things become canon for the character/s, so they get referred to in game. These pieces don't always become finished enough to post, even if people might like to read them

• I read this! 2

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

4 hours ago, Elena said:

I do write threads alone, or one-shots, and I post them on the site, because they are part of the story and it is nice for everyone to see. Besides I am writing for my readers, so if I have no readers at all... why would I be writing?

I thought about this on my walk home from school today!

I've concluded we write for different reasons, or at least view the way we write differently. I don't consider myself as someone who writes for my readers, and while I realize that your question is probably rhetorical, I have an answer for it anyway. Or, well, not an answer, but a thought I suppose.

Let's say I put myself in your shoes and do write for my readers! Something that is important to me, then, is to surprise them. I want to tell a story that makes you think, and forces you to pay attention. I give the reader dots to connect, instead of show them the dots already connected. If you are mindful of the dots, then you might be able to see what is happening before it actually happens! But if you are not, then it can come as a surprise. So, that would be my reason for not writing out everything in plain sight- it would be me connecting too many dots for the reader, and I do not want to tell my stories that way.

Anyway, that was just the thought I had!

I had another, as well, as to why I write behind the scenes sometimes: developing a history between characters! If they're characters who have worked together for a verrrry long time, sometimes it is easier and more practical to write about it with your partner behind the scenes in order to get a feel for their relationship instead of writing it all out in threads on the forum. Not all of those past interactions would be significant to the forum and the development of the story, so I don't see a point in including them there. It's kind of like writing about going to the bathroom- it's assumed your character does it, but unless it's significant somehow then it doesn't need to be included.

• I read this! 1

It's been rare that I've done anything FORMAL like that, but I like to every so often make little fun asides to help flesh out the In Character stuff. On an Anime Site I ran until recently (Well, I still admin it I just don't RP there anymore) I made a Rumor mill type of board where I would post things like articles in a popular Gossip Magazine, news blurbs about area-changing events, and random events/announcements/schedules and the like. All In-Character. It was fun, especially the Gossip Magazines. One entry was a list of "best seller" books recently published by various characters on the site - Members then saw fit to namedrop these titles and give the fun flavors life in the regular threads

Other than that, I usually RP very tiny side scenarios in chat with some of my friends to help work through a rut in thread or figure out a particularly difficult turn in the current plot.

• I read this! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I do write some behind the scenes stuff... But most times when I do it whatever I'm writing has more to do with my OOC thoughts. And another change is that very often I do post that stuff in some way. (I usually put it up on our wiki, kind of an incentive/hidden bonus for those that read/use it.)

Like when I came up with one enemy character for a game named Electron Echidna I added a bit in the behind the scenes bit about the character being based off the mythical creature Echidna. (Originating from Greek mythology, it was said to have birthed all other monsters.) Mostly because people may be interested in knowing how I picked that. It also ties in to the game because this enemy was the first fought and gives the keys to defeating all others. (Since in the game I tend to give each enemy a weakness of some kind. Often to the previous enemy's weapon.)

• I read this! 2
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

Used to be anytime I got into an "adult situation" we'd take it to messenger, skype, etc. Kept it off-site.

• I read this! 2

Guest Archaic Cyborg

I used to do this afew years ago, and I wouldn't be opposedto doing it again! But I'd keep it minimal, as I like having character history/interaction public, even if it is just a narrative or solo thread. I can't, for example, say one thing happend, when I wrote and posted something different. That's just me, though; other rpers probably don't mind revising facts 'whenever'.