Where did you learn to code?

Josie

I had a coding class in college (and failed miserably) but most of my experience came from just playing with JCink. There were numerous 'oops' moments where I had no idea what happened or how it happened. I found that reverse engineering premade skins helped a lot. I love learning new stuff, but I really enjoy making my own skins from scratch!

muEzlN.jpg

• 2 months later...

Similar to many of you, I began on neopets. I was probably in my early teens and made pages for my roleplay characters and/or neopets themselves. I taught myself code from internet tutorials. I later took a class in high school, but I knew everything and more they had to teach. I got some practice on forums and a couple of friends who furthered my knowledge on those forums. I also made some activists sites when I was first learning for fun with my friends. I would practice and eventually got to the point where I was doing simple javascript commands. I made these sites on freewebs and yahoo geocities.  I got rusty and stopped for a while and came back and suddenly everyone was using post tables! That was the first step to remembering a lot of code and getting some new practice with different tables. 

Oh lawdy. Roughly 15 years ago on a site with the initials VF I found that I HATED waiting for people to make me things. Not only that, but requesting things always made me feel so needy and useless.....soooooo I asked a friend of mine for any codes she wouldn't mind I picked apart. It started with simple div boxes, and escalated to skins that were made to design the forums on the site. Eventually I was just seeking out anything else I wanted to know. So, basically, I taught myself. I'm still learning, I feel like there's tons I don't know..that and I always forget things on a regular basis and have to go look it the heck up again. Lol. 

W9QVrMj.png

BABOS-A laid back survival roleplay-Coming soon!

• 2 months later...

I got into coding when I was twelve years old. My main role playing site, kind of a general all-genre site, had a mod for its source code that let members use what basically amounted to a div tag with a style attribute. I thought they were pretty cool so I started teaching myself to use them. I sucked at first but I was twelve so I thought I was great and kept at it. The site also had an option to let members enter in custom HTML for their profile pages, so once I decided to take that on as well, I suddenly found myself neck-deep in HTML and CSS, neither of which I even knew the names of yet. By the time I figured it out, I was competent enough to start branching out and exploring other possibilities by skipping the baby steps and launching myself head-first into whatever it is I wanted to do.

...chuckle...

-- 22 years ago, I made my first visual basic program in DOS from a 3-2-1 Contact magazine.
-- 17 years ago, I was coding in Geocities/Homestead back in the days when connecting to the internet meant withstanding terrible noises.
-- 10 years ago, I started my bachelor's degree in Web Design and Interactive media.

-- Presently I'm working on my master's in IT, with a Web Development concentration.

Coding is not just a hobby, it's a way of life for me. :D

Mythic Frontier, a Weird and Wild Western RPG

A blend of Cthulhu Horror, Supernatural and the Wild Wild West.
Join the Discord!
mythicbtn.gif 

Other Interesting Sites:
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FFOjc0AH.

Want your Discord chat in embedded on your site? I am a developer on TitanEmbeds.
Please feel free to PM/Discord me if you need assistance!
Addy#5522

I learned how to build a website using basic HTML, some CSS, and frames during high school. Then I went to technical school afterwards where I refined some of those skills, as well as learned how to use Photoshop and a now very old version of Dreamweaver. I also learned 3D Studio Max in tech school, but I couldn't get a grip on it. I also have no idea how to create my own Javascript coding. I USED to know a couple of little tricks with it, but I can't remember them now. =/

If I get brave enough to share some of my recent works, I will....