Game of Thrones newcomer [spoilers]

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Guest Archaic Cyborg

First off, I have never cared for a new/old fandom where few fans can say more than 'watch it for celebrity x! / watch it, it's good!' and so forth. I love High Fantasy as much as the next fan, but I'm not 10 years old. I won't watch anything just because 'DRAGONS'.

I care about consistent plots, believable magic/physics/warfare/etc (no 'a wizard did it, yay magic!112', no 'this is make-believe so deal with it'). No abandoned storylines and repeated scenarios ad nauseam, ala the same old event redone over and over; like how some later The walking Dead eps have the exact same formula- the group finds a new town, oh noes it's corrupted, someone dies; rinse repeat. For GoT, I also don't like the controversial/wtf attitudes back when the writer claimed 'it's not sexual assault if you enjoy it'.

I need actual substance in a claim as to why GoT is worth watching; I watch films and series a fuckton, I literally doze off (w00t, chronic fatigue) f I'm forced to watch things like b-grade movies and 'just to give  something a go, though the story is not for me / just for something to do'. like romcoms, cop shows, college/student life movies, disney's Frozen. My big sister doesn't take no for an answer, sad to say. She's been hounding me, but it's my bloody choice to watch things.

I know a few spoilers about got, but it hasn't really connected. I've got no spare time to start reading a book series, so I'd rather stick to the tv version for now. 

How much of got is split into action/adventure, suspense, court intrigue/politics, drama, epic quests? Is the ratio similar to The original Lord of the Rings trilogy? More outdoorsy adventures? less? Equal? T enjoyed the first 3 seasons of Downton Abbey, as far as family infighting and whatnot goes TWD for the initial outbreak and suspense, survival stories; Black Sails for its realism and characters; NBC Hannibal for its unique take and characters; Lost s1 and 2.5 (haven't finished it) for it's survivalism and the fucked-up island!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on your description of what you like and do not like, I would wager that Game of Thrones will not be the show for you. It gets better with the latest seasons as they stopped relying on the books, which is the best thing that they could have done for the series for exactly the reasons you describe: there's a lot of rinsing and repeating going on in the books. If you've ever read a Stephen King book, there is a bit of that going on as well- I feel that King often spends a lot of time trying to build up to a big point, tons of grandstanding, and then when we finally get to it it's like... what? Seriously? That was it? All... right. Only, in most cases, G.R.R. Martin never gets to his point. In some cases, it feels like it's been forgotten about entirely because something shinier caught his attention.

Granted, he's not finished with his story yet but I do kind of feel like things should be wrapping up a bit and by the sixth book, which they haven't at all. My experience of Game of Thrones- as it is based on the books- is simply a trainwreck, so if that's the kind of thing you enjoy watching then have at it.