Have you ever voice chatted with other RPers?

Josie

Have you ever voice chatted with your role play partners?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why or why not?

As I mentioned in another thread, I've voice chatted with my members when we play games and things. But there were times when I voice chatted with other individuals as well just to chat with them.

• I read this! 1

I really like voice chatting, it's very fun and I'm a very talkative person, even though I don't always think twice about what comes out of my mouth... oops. But yeah I think it's fun, especially during games since I tend don't have to type out my replies, so if I can I almost always ask the people I play with if they want to voice chat. I think my great love for voice chatting comes from playing civ 5 where the game could move slowly sometimes so we chatted about a lot of things while playing.

I also get to practice my spoken english so it doesn't get completely rusty.

Never voice chatted with RP partners just to chat, but I think that would be fun :)

• I read this! 1

sig.png

I love voice chat. Even though I'm not always really chatty especially in groups, I like the more immediate feedback plus all the extra cues from listening to tone of voice. Also, since I use a wireless headset, being on voice chat allows me to still do other things while talking to people. Not being tied down to a cbox or my laptop is great. Also, I can look things up like profiles or other threads without ever feeling like I'm missing part of the conversation. 

Also, I've taken things further and actually met some of my rp partners in person. Sitting in the same room and plotting is an enjoyable experience, plus the people I've met have all been fantastic.

If I'm chatting just to chat, I usually don't use voice call. Then, IM is preferred just because I'm lazy and don't always want to get my headset.

• I read this! 2

I don;t like voice chatting. I did it 2 or 3 times, when I had a microphone incorporated in my pc. This one wants it separatedly, so I don't have any.

We had fun, but poor American girls had sometimes to repeat the words or I understood something else and I replied accordingly. I prefer to stick to written words, and to have discussion partners (at least in a foreign language) face to face, to look in their mouth when they speak, to be sure I understand properly. (I had the same approach when our EU Irish consultants called us at phone - "Barry, don't you want to put it in an e-mail, to be seen by all the bosses?" - not that I understood only half when he was speaking at phone).

• I read this! 1

I've voice chatted with several members. Usually when we play Smash Bros or Starcraft. (It's extremely useful in Starcraft when formulating strategy since I tend to be very late-game oriented. Or when we're playing the co-op mode so that we can compliment each other's abilities. Like if I'm playing as Karax so I can know when/where to call in some death from above via space lasers.)

• I read this! 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I'm throwing this off hard.

I RP on MMOs as well, where chatting over voice is considered fairly much the norm. My guild has had a vent or other voice server for the entire 9 years we've been around so its totally common for us to be sitting in vent bullshitting while RPing. 

I've got my staff's phone numbers and call them every now and then, too. I've done voice chats with them as well. Sometimes its just easier. 

I keep trying to talk members into play Heroes or Overwatch with me but they refuse.

• I read this! 1

• 2 weeks later...

On a previous site I had a bunch of close friends and we would get on skype all the time with each other. Since  I've made my new site, I've distanced myself a bit from getting too close to my members. I feel like hurts my ability to get impartial. Plus, I had left those sites or abandoned them because I felt demoralized after close friends quit. I don't want to fall into that trap again. This time I want my site to thrive and keep going. So I guess arms length is best for me.

On my forum, we run the occasional movie night.  We set a date, a time, then have a group video/voice chat on Skype while the film runs.  Most often it's a movie we've all seen (*cough* The Lord of the Rings *cough* The Hobbit *cough*) so we chat away, about the roleplay, or what's happening on screen, while it runs.  Hilarity invariably ensues.  In between times, I don't often find myself in 1x1 or even group voice chats.  It's hard to get me to sit in one place for long enough and I'm not the best multitasker plus I'm actually quite a shy critter.

aff.png affiliate.png

Ever wanted to explore Middle-earth?  Check out these wanted canons.

What about Attack on Titan?  Go here!

I have not, and probably will not for quite a long time. When I talk to someone verbally, I have to give them my sole attention and that just does not jive well with me when I am more in my element with 3-4 different things going on at the same time.

I also really, really, really, really do not like talking. Vocal chords are so last century. 

• I read this! 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I'm a voice chatter. If I don't have someone to talk to than I can actually get disgruntled and leave an RP over it.

By nature I'm a bottler. So I bottle my emotions but if I don't have someone to pop the lid on every once in a while (or a few times a week for those that know me best) than I am literally a powder keg. One little thing will set me off.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I won't do voice chats by itself. With limited ability at listening, I really need more context than that. I need to see the face to read lips and to see the body language. Additional text along with video chatting helps major. I will only do a video chat with my rp friends so as long as it's 1x1 at a time, or even three of us. I enjoy it more when they're not focused on talking to me and talk to each other so I can watch/listen for context, and ask the other what one said.

• I read this! 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

I have in the past, but I have to feel comfortable with the people I'm talking to and up to voice chatting. I don't really do it these days. Mostly cause I'm not in a space to do it. Usually I'm in the living room with my roommate around too and there's just a lot of background noise, and since I can't do noise cancelling headphones cause they hurt my ears that means my mic isn't the best quality so everyone else hears that too. Easier to just type.

• 2 months later...

I have a very small core group of rper friends. We were on a site together and voice chatted all the time. We also play games, but I don't have a very good PC so I'm usually not involved in that. Some of the most memorable, hilarious and meaningful conversations I've had have been over voice chat with people scattered across the globe. I remember staying up until dawn sometimes.

PLAGUED

Post-Apoc | Supernatural | Zombies

I've only ever voice (or even video) chatted on smaller, more intimate sites where the sense of community was very strong. And i loved it! We never did it very often, just for the occasional movie night or game night. I was on one site a long time ago where we'd video chat as we played cards against humanity. It was a lot of fun.

I do have some old rp partners I'm friends with on PSN that I chat to occasionally. We don't rp together anymore, but we'll talk about final fantasy or mass effect and whatnot if we see each other online. And we'll occasionally invite each other to new rp forums we've found.

I do prefer IMing tho. I'm not a huge chatterbox, and I often get distracted, so it's not a huge priority for me. But if someone wants to hang out and talk over PSN or play a game with me, I'm usually down!

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon