Have you ever voice chatted with other RPers?

Josie

Have you ever voice chatted with your role play partners?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I generally don't voice chat. Usually it's because I'm kind of shy and have some anxiety issues. I worry about nearly everything, including about what people will think of my voice, the way I talk, etc. I have kind of a deep voice for a lady, and have honestly been mistaken for a guy on some multiplayer games before. It's kind of embarrassing to have to explain to someone that I'm a woman with a deeper voice than most. :/

I'm more comfortable and open when I'm just typing what's in my head rather than actually saying it out loud. HOWEVER, I have, and still do from time to time, voice chat. I recently started playing SWTOR with a real life friend of mine, and he and I have chatted through Discord while playing the game. I am NOT very good chatting in a group -- whether its voice chat or just a regular text chatroom. I tend to get lost with conversations before feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'm better one-on-one or in small groups of 3 to 5.

Probably why I'm not worried about my site getting a huge member base, nor why I don't like joining huge rpgs with 20+ members. I prefer small rpgs with 5 to 10 members who play multiple characters.... I'll shut up now before I begin to ramble. lol

• Love 1

I unfortunately haven't.  It crosses my mind every now and then, but I lack the technology.  I also bear a high speaking voice which gets me mistaken for a woman.

Edited by Jacob

On 2/21/2018 at 10:24 AM, Stormwolfe said:

Y'all are gonna think I'm nuts...

The main reason I don't care for voice chat is that from that point on, I hear the Players' voices in my head as I read scenes and not the voices I previously heard for each character. Go figure....

I don't think that's nuts at all.  It's a huge intrusion, invasion of space. Even too much OOC in a chatbox ruins the mystique of people's characters.  Pictures, voices and video-chats would just annihilate them completely.

I am surrounded by people 40 hours a week in a very noisy office.  At home, I like the silence. And the written words.

• I read this! 1

"Of all that is written, I love only what a man has written with

his own blood."  Friedrich Nietzsche ~ Thus Spake Zarathustra

3paIAn.gif 3pasUm.png 3ica7j.gif 3pa1UW.png 

Just did! Got to meet our newest players and enjoy some of my very close friends! Love these random nights together!!!

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

• 4 weeks later...

I usually have an open cbox on the site for everyone to chat...i don't usually to voice chats on skype or anything like that

• Agree 1

I love voice chatting with other rpers when I do it, but it tends to take a lot to actually get me to do it.  Not because I don't like voice chatting, I'm just very shy and have a lot of anxiety issues.  But whenever somebody manages to drag me into a chat, it's always a lot of fun and I wish I were brave enough to do it more often!

• Like 1
  • Preach it! 1

K2ZBEYF.png

It's something newer that I've been trying but actually it's been helping me get into the mind set of my characters a lot easier!

WibBanner.jpg

A lot of the folk I rp with use discord, so we do every so often like to VC, but I need to have known you for some time before you'll hear my voice... This Kraken is socially awkward lel. 

Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one. 

• 3 weeks later...

It mildly freaks me out? Like, I did a group webcam chat years ago when the forum was down for maintenance and we all wanted to talk to each other while we waited for it to come back.

But now that I'm back on the RP scene and Discord has taken over, I have Discord AND a voice channel for my site's group there... I haven't used it myself yet, though lol.

tumblr_inline_mi4wioKiIr1roozkr.giftumblr_inline_mi4wi5wYHQ1roozkr.giftumblr_inline_mi4whxLHiF1roozkr.gif

Join ODL's Discord!
xuv911.png  xSxavN.png
NTRL coming eventually.

I tend to be a very private person but I will chat (via typing) in Discord with the forum members or the cbox. I don't have a mic on the big beast, only the mini one so unless I go through setting up my headphones, it's a wash. I will talk on the phone with my co admin and staff (when I have that) if needed for admin stuffs. I will talk on the phone with friends as well.  I just have to know the person before handing out my phone number.

• Agree 1

spacer.pngDecadence

Not sure if it's really "voice chatting" at this point or not, but I met my IRL BFF through my site about 4 years ago and we call each other during our lunch break(s) at work. We've been doing this for just over 3 years now and it's great - it's a nice little reprieve during whatever's going on that day.

I have done traditional voice chatting with other members of my site before, and a few of us have actually decided to start a Discord based game of D&D next week - here's hoping it goes well, because I am very excited!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

shbutton.jpg

I have voice chatted before in roleplay groups be it for tabletop or something else. I never have used it for like a forum roleplay before...yet. I am open to the idea though.

• 3 weeks later...

Good and bad experiences here!

A few summers ago I had a very active site - I had a large group of friends I was writing with, and somehow another large group of writing buddies found us, so we all meshed together. It was a great community, we did movie nights over skype, group calls, played cards against humanity, etc. We did this usually once a week, sometimes twice a week, and if anybody really needed to just talk we'd get on a call with each other. However, after about a month of this it turned into some people wanting to voice chat 24/7 - they stopped posting, and just wanted to play cards or other games, activity plummeted. We were using skype, and we had members from all over the world so we would try to schedule our calls to a time when we could all be around. One member started calling constantly - and I mean CONSTANTLY. I'd be in the middle of work and skype would go off on my phone, it'd be six am and skype would ring on my phone, it got to the point where I had to delete skype entirely. After about another month of this, the entire group of people who showed up left the site after zero activity for about four weeks. While a majority of us were having so much fun with our weekly voice chats / game nights, a handful of them wanted to be on the phone. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of our role-playing groups focuses on live chat RP with a Game Master running the show, so having the majority of them on a VOIP (such as Discord, Teamspeak or Skype) helps facilitate a smoother, quicker moving role-play.

1541415216_g6cTMDv(1).png.8ff5c7c1ce372dd5a0682e397b94d4fd.png

We have a voice chat channel on our discord! 😄