Fantasy/Science Fiction Recomendations

Icewolf

It has been a while since I read any new authors, mainly because while at Uni, I came across quite a few I didn't like, and got a bit tired of reading anything other than books for my course. After uni, my partner became ill and a lot of things changed for the worse. The independent bookshop in the town where I live now closed quite a while ago and I don't bother going into our local Waterstones because it is small and they only ever seem to promote YA/Teenage books which are being made into films/TV shows, something which I'm not that interested in. There is a science fiction bookshop in the city which I can get to, if I feel like going there and they get a lot of stuff from America and Canada, so I was wondering if there was anything new which I'd find interesting.

In science fiction, I like to read stuff like Timothy Zahn's Quad Rail and Icarus Hunt books. I do sometimes delve into Urban Fantasy/Supernatural genres, but I prefer books which are more focused on mythology and adventure, such as the Dresden Files than the romance stuff, so I was wondering if there were any authors like that around? I like Carrie Vaughn, Patricia Briggs and Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld books (I don't like her more recent books, however, as she seems to have moved away from werewolves and supernatural stuff and moved on to more mainstream thriller type stuff.) I'd prefer male authors in UF/Supernatural genres as they seem to do more with it than focus on romance though if there's any female authors who are more like Patricia Briggs and Carrie Vaughn, I'd be happy to read those. In terms of high fantasy, I like authors like James Barclay, Terry Brooks, and Naomi Novik.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like Briggs (high five!) you might like Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series starting with Magic Strikes. A husband/wife team, they bring up a lot of really obscure mythology and craft a pretty neat world. 

You've hit most of the authors I enjoy, so I'm gonna go off on some weirder suggestions...

McAffrey's Pern books, maybe? I'm not a huge fan of her writing, but the world is nifty. Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series is (thus far) enjoyable, though I'm still reading the first book. Jane Lindskold's Through Wolf's Eyes remains one of my favorites, though it isn't werewolves. 

I might scream at you when I finish Novik's Temeraire series. (Two books to go!) My options of people to talk to about it are limited.

I echo @Rune's recommendation of Ilona Andrews.

I really like Robert Crane for fantasy, he has a stereotypical medieval fantasy series as well as an urban fantasy series that are both ongoing. 

The Lamp of Darkness by Dave Mason is alright. It's labelled as a biblical epic but it's rather rooted in fantasy IMO. 

The Game by Terry Schott is a decent sci-fi read. It's also free on Amazon! 

The Sorcery Code by Dima Zales is really good! Fantasy! 

Edited by Syn

Thanks. I've already read the Jane Lindskold series and I've ordered the first of the Iron Druid books. I read the Temeraire books quite a while ago now, but the last one I've not been able to get hold of. (I had that problem with one author I liked too, who doesn't seem to write anymore, but I finally got hold of that book.) I may have a look at Ilona Andrews - I'll try one book. There was a time I'd get a lot in a series of books before I read the first one, and then regretted it when I found I didn't like the writing. I'm a bit more picky now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Archaic Cyborg

Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy, is an amazing epic fantasy that toys with Fantasy fiction tropes but without becoming a parody. It follows various characters on different sides of an upcoming war. His sense of humour reminds me of Sir Terry Pratchett in a lot of parts~

Then there's Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy, which has multiple sequel-ztrilogies and spin-offs. It's written in first-person, which can be awkward at first, but her style becomes easy to get into. High Fantasy, adventure, engaging world lore, and a few other things I can't really spoil.

The Quantum Thief! It's a bit confusing in places because Hannu Rajaniemi never explains anything and you have to work out how the world works through inference and extrapolation, but some people like it for the same reason. It keeps your brain engaged. If you like hard sci-fi, I really recommend it.

This might be a bit of a stretch, buuut John Dies at the End is like... a mix of fantasy and surrealism/absurdism and poop jokes. A doorknob turns into a penis, a hotdog is used as a phone, and the phrase "sodomized by a bratwurst poltergeist" is used. It's. It's an adventure.

affbutton.png