What other language would you want to RP in?

Josie

I started roleplaying back in the day in my native language of Dutch

Dune: Sands of Time

A cooperative writing group based on Frank Herberts Dune

• 1 month later...

I've met Portuguese, Norwegian and Finnish roleplayers that I've gotten along with well, so I wonder what the roleplay scene's like in those languages. There was also this Swedish-designed game called Haven and Hearth that was relentlessly dominated by Russians, and it sounds like there's quite a vibrant roleplaying community there too.

Language-wise, I'm actually finding a fondness for Turkic languages and have been picking up enough for basic conversations. Holy shit, Turkish speakers are super friendly to English speakers and people in general looking to learn, so I was pleasantly surprised by the language-learning communities. I love languages in general and often use roleplay as an excuse to start exploring one.

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

I wouldn't mind trying French or Spanish, since I had a few years of each in undergrad (enough to be pseudo-fluent from a reading/writing perspective -- I sure as heck am awful at the speaking/listening part).

It'd probably end terribly, but it'd at least be a fun way to try and keep the languages fresh in my head.

• Love 1

logo.png

Currently learning German, so RPing in German might help me with writing and reading in the language

Always believe in yourself and keep going. You don't have to have the most talent in the world. You don't have to be the smartest person in the world. If you persist and you persist and you persist, you will be successful.

Dean Cain

IjdT9HX.png
1x1 Partner Searches | Group Searches

• 6 months later...

I'd love to RP in Russian to keep myself sharp. I'd also like to RP in Chinese for practice. 

I am surprised (but excited) to see Swedish mentioned a few times here. I wouldn't say my written Swedish is close to par to even string a decent-sounding post together. I suppose that's what the practice would be for, I need that.

Literature and story-telling-wise, I write in (and lately 90% of the time read in) English, so I would love to write in Finnish the same way but I don't know if I can be the same story-teller in Finnish as I am in English. If that makes sense. It's like being fluent on the guitar, but trying to play the trumpet instead. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Vellamo
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I would love to be able to roleplay in German but it also scares me to death. I really struggle with spelling/grammar in German, in big part because I learned the language in a "Trial by fire" sort of way. (I learned German by living in Germany and talking to people in German all day, every day for a year and a half). So while I can speak and read in the language I didn't write very often. 

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

I write in Turkish because I want to write in my native language but in English.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I don't think I'd ever be comfortable fully roleplaying in another language, but I would love an opportunity to like..write dialogue in French (French revolution site, perhaps?) while still writing the rest in English. Sort of an extra layer of realism, if that makes sense!

• Love 1

IKiE2z.png

• 1 month later...

German, although I'd be afraid my writing would be as riveting as a "Dick and Jane" book. 

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985

I would love to roleplay in Spanish, but I have serious doubts about my own skills therein. I think it'd be a great application for learning another language, though!

German, because would be a great way for me to brush back up on the language that I learned through high school and college. I have since been out of practice for a few years.

• Love 1

Definitely Japanese. I picked the language up really well when I was in high school and did a short student exchange program. I just wish I knew like, 2000 more kanji. I would really like to improve!

The world could always use a splash more color and a tidbit more light!