Where do you code?

Josie

Where do you write your coding? I know some people make use of CodePen, but I've literally never used it for testing my own codes before. For me, I do it... all live on the forum directly LOL.

For coding on forums, I do it on the forum itself because it has established variables and most of what you code will need to interact with other assets. In a coding vacuum, it might look fine but then break or look awful once you insert it into the forum. I also would not want to painstakingly transfer from where I was coding onto the forum, again and again. 

For challenges or singular assets, I do it through Scratchpad. 

And for offline/personal projects, I use a program called Brackets that lets you do live preview and navigate through files instantaneously, as well as having two files side-by-side (like a stylesheet and the .html that will use it). 

• I read this! 2

I have a test environment set up on my computer (localhost/mybb) plus a test environment on my live server. My localhost has an old copy of the database on it so that I can test how things work/look while developing. This way if I break something only my test server is affected and I can fix/undo it without anyone ever seeing my mistakes. It's also where I do all my theme design. This way I don't use any of the live resources until I'm ready.

The live server is almost identical to the actual version (save it too uses an old version of the database). After I get things mostly ready I usually do a final test on the live server just to make things don't go awry. Though I usually don't bother doing this for themes since they tend to behave identically. It's only when I'm testing PHP code changes that I really bother using the test server part. (Since my localhost is PHP 5.3 and my live server is a much newer version.)

• I read this! 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I tend to code direct on forum. And then comment out any alerts I've set up when I'm not doing coding so as not to annoy my members xD 

But that's mainly as I'm lazy. And it saves me making notes EVERYWHERE which is the other option.

• I read this! 1
adminuserbar.png.71315bfc91f356787fd0e77311e6f224.png

When I do coding, which is a lot less now than it was a few years ago, I do it on a test site I have.  I have never used CodePen or anything like it.

• I read this! 1

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

It depends on what exactly I'm coding. Coding a skin? Well I code those on the actual forum itself. Coding templates? I build about 75% of the template itself on the csgnetwork.com html and script code tester. It's a much faster and easier method than working with multiple tabs and reloading entire web pages repeatedly. After I have about 75% of the code completed, I will add it to my site's CSS and then refine the last 25% to ensure everything renders correctly with the board itself.

• I read this! 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

tumblr_static_that_is_an_excellet_questi

I actually code depending on my mood and partyly based on what I'm coding. For the most part I code live "technically" I'm infrequently on a medium that I cannot code directly and keep it from public eye. Being able to use a live preview is my favorite thing ever and sub skins and things are the happy of my life.

I always have Notepad++ open so I can save previous versions of the code and go back to them at my leisure and put it back the way it was before. It is not uncommon for me to get close to nearly 200 Notepadd++ tabs before I decide to go and close old versions that I don't need. (I normally minimum have 100ish). I will actually code templates in Notepadd++ and test them in "preview" on the forum.

I ALSO code in Brackets when I'm more doing ground up coding, mostly because it's pink.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• 1 year later...

I code primarily in CodePen or Scratchpad! It helps me visualize things when you've got that live preview, and I find my coding goes a lot faster. I also don't have to have so many tabs open xD I like Codepen because I can save my codes there, and you have different sections for different coding languages. Also the community and resources there are super helpful.

(sorry, reviving an old thread, hope everyone gets an alert about it :P)

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon