Most Fun Power-set

txernest

So there's plenty of genres that include characters with powers of some kind, but what is your favorite power-set that you've created and/or played? Is it your favorite because it's interesting and different, or because it's just fun to play?

I just created an OC with Nightmare Manipulation powers, and he feeds on the fear his nightmares cause. He hates his ability, but literally can't live without using it and I'm super excited to play with this power-set.

• I read this! 3

Find me on:

Mortal Ends   x5d17s.jpg
{Erin}   {Little Bird}

I don't play many original characters with powers, so I don't often have to make them up. I guess the closest I've come is one character having a magical item that made them unable to feel pain- but because they wore it constantly they would basically be rendered into a useless mess if it was taken from them. They'd been wearing the item so long that their brain started registering basically all forms of touch as pain, so you could just blow lightly on them without their special little thinger and they'd want to die LOL.

• I read this! 3

• Admin

My current favorite is a Fire wielder that while she can pull fire out of thin air and she can heat her skin up to be able to burn people with 2nd degree burns. She just unlocked the power to burn as hot and even as bright as the sun! The fun part there is that it means that she can burn even other people with her same abilities now and disintegrate limbs and stuff.

The fallback for her is that it is highly powered by her emotions. So if she gets too angry or sad she can start to accidentally burn people... this includes any possible sexual relations that she has.

<_< So much fun for a character to have to control herself to not hurt the people she cares about.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I always like the more 'offensive' spells. I guess in Elder Scrolls terms, it would be destruction tree.

If I make mages in medieval/fantasy, they have to have the equivalent of force push or aard from the Witcher. I just find it's most fun to play a 'battle mage' with these kind of abilities.

Don't know if it counts, but also like powers in sci fi that are granted by cyberware components. Transhuman type stuff, increased strength and agility and stuff. Which brings me into agreeing with Morrigan that fallbacks and downsides are fun to play. Especially in this vein, like having to take anti-rejection therapies or deal with pain as a result of the cool cyber arm or whatever. :)

• I read this! 1

That's a tough question.  There are so many cool power sets.

I'd say my least favorite are like Marvel/DC superheroes. I feel like because there's no unifying theme to anyone's power. Each person is unique, which can be good, but there's no baseline. You have mutants/metahumans, who are born with random powers. You have people who are turned into powerful beings like Spiderman or The Flash. You have people who train in magic and spiritual energy. Then you have average joes. It's too much going on and some characters are way more powerful inherently than others.

Although I run a Dragonball Z RPG, I feel the actual powers in DBZ are kind of boring. Shooting beams of energy and flying around. I've added the ability to create attacks on my site that do a little more than blow stuff up, if you want. Although, there's plenty of just blowing stuff up.

I've always loved Bleach's Shinigami, Arrancar, Fullbringers, and Quincies. They can all have unique and special powers, but many of them are overpowered.

Naruto probably has the neatest system, with ninja magic and chakra. But, I've never actually RP'd Naruto before. Interestingly enough. 

• I read this! 1

My favourite has to be my character that can see the future; not because that makes him powerful, but because that power is absolutely useless to him. He can't control it, and the visions he does have are both meaningless and often horrifying to him - not to mention cause him to have a seizure after seeing them.

I enjoy it more for the idea, and threading capabilities, rather than the power itself!

• I read this! 1

Ex Vino Veritas

• 2 weeks later...

Invisibilty, and all related powers such as not needing to breathe, having no scent, things to that effect are the most fun power set to play with depending on how you want to roleplay that specific character...

• 2 weeks later...

I actually love and adore a really crazy demon character I made some time ago, that can harness and control wavelengths. Not only that, but he has the ability to utilize and focus gamma radiation, and inspire radiation sickness in opponents. His aura itself is even radioactive! The only drawback is whenever I write his powers, I gotta do scientific research to see what the effects and everything are, so I don't mess up and get yelled at by the sciencey side of my forum. xD

But he's also fun because all of this radiation tries to kill him/makes him sick if he uses it too much, but also if he uses it too little. He's a lovely little train wreck that I need to stop almost-killing so I can keep him around for a while, LOL.