What weird things have you learnt because of rp?

SusieQ

I'm a wealth of useless knowledge to begin with, so "writing what I know" is generally pretty easy. I've also been RPing for so long that I can't remember all the weird things I've looked up over the years. As for my current site, I've researched/learned:

-How solar flares affect the earth, and what it would take for one to cause significant, permanent damage to electrical systems.

-The Geneva Convention and biological/chemical warfare, and what exactly is classed as human.

-Exactly how fragile the US's power grid is, and whether it would be possible to cripple it by 'hacking'. (answer to both: very)

-The progression of various countries that have fallen to war and/or civil unrest.

-The various flora and fauna of Puget Sound, and exactly how edible they are. Oh, and weather patterns and topographical maps of the area.

-How to make saltpeter for gunpowder (its disgusting), and how to make lye, as well as various military-issue and civilian firearms and what would happen if they were stored in less-than-ideal conditions, or if you loaded an incorrect ammo size.

-The finer points on how shortwave radios and solar power work. I knew the basics, but needed a crash course to refresh my memory.

-Dakota firepits.

-The anatomy of hands, feet, and squirrels... and whether or not you could eat them, or if it'd even be worth it.

I'm sure there's more, but I'll stop there for now...

• Cheers 1

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

• 2 weeks later...

I am terrified of spiders. However, several years ago, and @landofkarchancan confirm this, I played a character that was a spider tamer. It was not an easy feat and often I creeped myself out, but I ended up learning a ton about spiders because of this. Now I adore spiders, provided it’s from a distance or there is glass between us. I still won’t touch one.

Another strange thing I learned through roleplay: how to write. Back in 2003, when I first encountered roleplay, I wrote like most twelve year olds at that time—rather incoherently. 

I learned that in the 1830's in England women did not hold property, or at least it was highly unusual if they did. Upon marrying everything a woman owned became her husband's property including herself.

I looked into this as I was going to have a story that included a man killing his wife for her money and the year was 1833. I realised he wouldn't need to as he already owned everything.

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

• 1 month later...

That the Crooked Forest in Poland exists. 

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985

• 2 weeks later...

I am learning more and more about physics and aerodynamics when it comes to describing my character's journeys though the air. I also learned a lot about different pressure points on the body and fighting styles. I am sure the FBI agents are amused.

It's been something that I tend to do, but recently finding Dr G on Amazon Prime (all the seasons) I'm happily back watching autopsies in depth. Since I play an ME at my site, this has been more of a wealth of knowledge along with some other things I didn't know until rewatching (okay binging) the show. Now I have even more ideas about some of the stories I've been working on.

spacer.pngDecadence