What weird things have you learnt because of rp?

SusieQ

Guest TheHales

I had an entire list saved of Spanish swear words and one of Australian swear words which turned out to be very inaccurate.

I also googled how effectively gasoline could hide the scent of blood and what parts of a person need to be removed to make identification hard. Those are normal topics, right? I'm sure everybody googles those on a regular Friday night.

• 8 months later...

Researching Assyrian and Babylonian names...

Gay stuff in Greco-Roman and medieval eras...

Various poisonous plants and how to find them... >__>

Yeah, I'm probably on a watch list by this point.

• Like 1

2vyeCC8.jpg

RULESBEGINNER'S GUIDELOREADVERTISING

We're a 3-3-3 freeform medieval fantasy RPG! Come have some coffee (or ale) with us and have a good time! <:

• Justifiable Homicide laws in specific states.
  • The differences between gun laws in different states. 
  • An in-depth analysis of Fight Club and Masculinity (I've never seen Fight Club, even still)
  • The entire history of Phil Collins and Genesis
  • Jaw-related injuries
  • Intricate move-sets for early Mortal Kombat characters (I don't own Mortal Kombat)
  • Aquarium/Terrarium setups for turtles

Or, as the relevant character calls all of the above: Friday night date night. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I've researched so much history (ancient Greek and Egyptian, Medieval, 15-19th centuries) and have retained stray bits of it.  I'm like a walking encyclopedia that is missing one too many pages. 😅 

• LOL 2

As of today: More about falconry and bird breeding than a person who has three cats and zero involvement in falcon raising should. Not for historic roleplay. For developing a bird-like fae lore.

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png

The past weeks I researched international exotic animal transportation, cause my character works at a zoo. Turns out that's a glorious clusterfuck depending on the country.

As a medical researcher who just has the 1 cat cause anything else doesn't fit in my lifestyle, I shall never need this information in real life.

• Agree 1

Always believe in yourself and keep going. You don't have to have the most talent in the world. You don't have to be the smartest person in the world. If you persist and you persist and you persist, you will be successful.

Dean Cain

IjdT9HX.png
1x1 Partner Searches | Group Searches

• 4 months later...

I learned all sorts of weird stuff when I was in a Hunger Games RP and had to do research for the Showcases. Things like how to build deadly traps and various plants for healing or poisoning someone. There were various fighting techniques and what not researched for those posts too. I can't remember everything I looked up but I always thought my google search history back then was pretty crazy.

adV1.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Weirdest thing was today. When researching Foxes I typed in "Are foxes patriarchal?" for lore purposed and ALL the answers were about Fox News because that's the world we live in. If you want to know about foxes you must specify WILD foxes. 

Also, top results now adays have little to nothing to do with the question. Because money talks.

On a nice note I now know that foxes are neither matriarchal or patriarchal. The father will take over mothering duties when needed. Innit that nice?

• Like 1

b2vXT2.png

• 2 weeks later...

What did I learn? Geez—

• The Yoruba faith and West African Vodun.
  • What makes traces of blood detectable and how to eliminate traces.
  • The anatomy of a dolphin. 
  • How to pronounce the name Siobhan.
  • The types of amnesia.
  • How tall Lasse Matberg is. 
  • That I have some serious image search skills.
  • How to edit a scar over an eye.
  • That Greek Goddess Hera is cray-cray.
  • Māori mythology, specifically about Tāwhirimātea.
  • That Aristotle died in 322 B.C. of a disease of the digestive organs in Chalcis, Greece.
  • That Kairos is like the estranged cousin of the Three Proofs of Rhetoric (Logos, Pathos, Ethos).

• 2 weeks later...

I learned to commit a lot of crimes, mostly bread, wine, and truffle based.

Also a lot about lockpicking

And murder

Next up, I'm off to google how to get a lawyer, because I really feel like I ought to get one soon.

• LOL 1

I've Googled a lot about lawyers to offset all those five-finger-discount and murder-based plots.

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

• 2 weeks later...

I've found myself doing research on a variety of different topics for the sake of RP, but most of them have been genuine interests of mine anyway. Currently, I find myself doing a lot of research on Navajo Folklore and Culture, in preparation for Southwestern Gothic site of mine that I am in the midst of coding a skin for. But I've also done research for:

• Southpaw or Traditional Style Boxing stances and fighting techniques
  • Native American legends and folklore history
  • History of Twin Experiments conducted during Nazi Germany and other twin studies
  • World War II and how it affected Irish Citizens and Migrants
  • Other neighboring German-speaking Jewish communities and their evacuation points throughout history

To name a few.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent hours and days researching hydrogen, methane, and chlorine trifluoride. I needed to determine the chemical makeup of the gas I wanted to use for my dragon's fire.  It was fun research. 

• Like 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!