What weird things have you learnt because of rp?

SusieQ

That even the seemingly most calm and relaxed of people at the time they joined a site, can end up leaving with a massive chip on their shoulder.

• I read this! 1

Recently. Gladiators, gladiator schools, when they began and when it was outlawed, what types of gladiators there were and the weapons they fought with. A lot of interesting stuff about them. Charlemagne the Frankish king turned emperor (also if you google Charlemagne you have to be specific or you'll get some rapper guy). 

• I read this! 1

RP has become a reason for me to be an autodidact on a massive level. I have always been a fan of self-taught learning, and have done so across multiple subjects. Of late, it has made me a great appreciator of 18th century history, culture, and influence on a global scale. These include:

- France: Colonial history, Ancient Regime, Revolution, Directorie, Bonaparte

- England: Georgian life, colonial history, post colonial history

- Catholics in the 18th century 

- Protestants in the 18th century

- Denominational rises and falls

- 18th century India

- 18th century China

- Various Asian cultures

I can't get enough of it. It has become my school room in a way. 

• I read this! 2

NewSig.png
Welcome to the City of Destiny

Wedding Season 1797
Forming Families Among the Rumors and the Joy
Will you ally for love or money, business or pleasure, peace or war?

• 3 weeks later...

I love to do research for what I write. I've written a mechanic character and had to read up on various tools and other autorepairs information. I've written a soldier and had to research on martial arts, rankings in the US army and survival gear and tactics. And this was not for an RP but I did this fanfiction set in the UK so I had to research on their education system? I had pages and pages of notes and I didn't even use half of them! 

Recently, my friends and I launched this site where we had to create a country, writing about its history and economics. I read up on the history of Hong Kong (because we wanted to base our country a little on how Hong Kong was able to grow economically) and I read up on its economy.

It's fun to read and learn about different things, and it's rewarding knowing that I did my best to make my writing as accurate as possible.

• I read this! 2
sig1.gif
snb_button.png

• 1 month later...

I've learned a lot about odd and strange lore and mythology from around the world. Outside of Marvel sites that I play on, I do tend to do a lot of Sci Fi, horror, and even supernatural themed site. Because of this, I research a lot about lore and mythology. There are some things out there that I had never heard about before but it's all so fascinating and I tend to learn a lot about different cultures based on what they believe.

• I read this! 1

I started reading up on medicinal herbs for a few characters of mine, since they deal with these plants on a regular basis, so I figured hey, I should probably learn this stuff so I know what I'm talking about. I got a book on it, and it's actually helped me out offline, too? I now know exactly which tea in my cupboard will help with my insomnia because basically everything in it is used for treating insomnia and anxiety. Thanks, medicinal plants!

Additionally, I've looked up how to butcher and skin various animals and how to tan their hides for another character, who's a hunter by trade and sells the furs from her kills.

• I read this! 1

haliea_sig.png.d576f8c161ea332444febd20bf4e72eb.png

Antarsia | Guidebook

When the Gods turn on their people, the tables turn.

Where will you stand?

Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

I learned a TON about the Yakuza and Samurai 

I also learned a WHOLE lot about cell regeneration and the life of a cell 

• I read this! 1

bdNwvS3.png

• 4 weeks later...

That knocking someone out with a sleeper hold doesn't last nearly as long as movies would have you believe. Like, you'd probably get a minute.

And the best way to render someone unconscious for a longer period of time probably involves head trauma.

There are times when I really feel like following up some of my Google searches with another search that says, "I'm just looking this stuff up for something I'm writing, I swear!"

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

banner-thor-ragnarok.gif.8b2b71697c69ef1ccebca1c84ae6b29f.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Took a crash course in quantum theoretical 10th dimensional physics all for the sake of a single throwaway line in my lore...

A day well spent.

• I read this! 2

• 2 months later...

- The Roman political system and the changes within it. 

- Roman Collegia or gangs. 

- Role of women in Ancient Rome. 

- Clothing from Ancient Rome. 

- Religious practices of Rome. 

- Affect/effect of starvation on the body. 

- Childbirth/pregnancy throughout the ages. 

- Tudor period medicine. 

- A variety of different CMS. 

- Birth control in Ancient Rome.

There is probably a lot more, lol. 

Later on, this became part of my degree as well. 

• I read this! 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

• 5 weeks later...

I recently researched cinnamon trees, their family, and how to harvest them.Actually, I've been researching a lot of plant families? I'm working on some unusual flora to fill out our world, and basing them off of some existing plants helps.

But man, I never thought I'd ever be looking up how cinnamon is harvested outside of culinary school...

• I read this! 1

haliea_sig.png.d576f8c161ea332444febd20bf4e72eb.png

Antarsia | Guidebook

When the Gods turn on their people, the tables turn.

Where will you stand?

Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

• 4 weeks later...

Klinefelter syndrome
The damage a taser can cause to a human
household chemicals that can kill people (or at least really hurt)
Hemotoxins and their effects
polycephaly
asexual reproduction in nature
examples of magic gone wrong

I just recently had to do a decent amount of research on eyes and eye transplants because one of my characters is being held by an actual psychopath and because he's a lycanthrope the guy wants to see if my character would be able to heal from having his eyes removed and put in the opposite sockets. -.-

azqw7jG.png

Epilepsy and stress-related seizures, it's come in useful for both the friends I have with epilepsy and the character I have who has stress-related seizures.

Bird anatomy, flight patterns, behavior

Angelology/Demonology

Albinism/Leucism, was originally because in the communities I'm a part of irl have a lot of albino people (Visual impairments very frequently come along with it)

Visual Impairments (this is mostly stuff I'd learned years ago for myself, but once again coming in super handy for my characters)

Knee injuries

Human anatomy in general really