SusieQ

Membership What weird things have you learnt because of rp?

Lawman    95

That even the seemingly most calm and relaxed of people at the time they joined a site, can end up leaving with a massive chip on their shoulder.

Awards

Recently. Gladiators, gladiator schools, when they began and when it was outlawed, what types of gladiators there were and the weapons they fought with. A lot of interesting stuff about them. Charlemagne the Frankish king turned emperor (also if you google Charlemagne you have to be specific or you'll get some rapper guy). 

Seahorse    48

RP has become a reason for me to be an autodidact on a massive level. I have always been a fan of self-taught learning, and have done so across multiple subjects. Of late, it has made me a great appreciator of 18th century history, culture, and influence on a global scale. These include:

- France: Colonial history, Ancient Regime, Revolution, Directorie, Bonaparte

- England: Georgian life, colonial history, post colonial history

- Catholics in the 18th century 

- Protestants in the 18th century

- Denominational rises and falls

- 18th century India

- 18th century China

- Various Asian cultures

I can't get enough of it. It has become my school room in a way. 

• Like 1

Awards

I love to do research for what I write. I've written a mechanic character and had to read up on various tools and other autorepairs information. I've written a soldier and had to research on martial arts, rankings in the US army and survival gear and tactics. And this was not for an RP but I did this fanfiction set in the UK so I had to research on their education system? I had pages and pages of notes and I didn't even use half of them! 

Recently, my friends and I launched this site where we had to create a country, writing about its history and economics. I read up on the history of Hong Kong (because we wanted to base our country a little on how Hong Kong was able to grow economically) and I read up on its economy.

It's fun to read and learn about different things, and it's rewarding knowing that I did my best to make my writing as accurate as possible.

• Like 1

Toastie    4

I've learned a lot about odd and strange lore and mythology from around the world. Outside of Marvel sites that I play on, I do tend to do a lot of Sci Fi, horror, and even supernatural themed site. Because of this, I research a lot about lore and mythology. There are some things out there that I had never heard about before but it's all so fascinating and I tend to learn a lot about different cultures based on what they believe.

I started reading up on medicinal herbs for a few characters of mine, since they deal with these plants on a regular basis, so I figured hey, I should probably learn this stuff so I know what I'm talking about. I got a book on it, and it's actually helped me out offline, too? I now know exactly which tea in my cupboard will help with my insomnia because basically everything in it is used for treating insomnia and anxiety. Thanks, medicinal plants!

Additionally, I've looked up how to butcher and skin various animals and how to tan their hides for another character, who's a hunter by trade and sells the furs from her kills.

Awards

KAIJU    2

I learned a TON about the Yakuza and Samurai 

I also learned a WHOLE lot about cell regeneration and the life of a cell 

Jinx    4

That knocking someone out with a sleeper hold doesn't last nearly as long as movies would have you believe. Like, you'd probably get a minute.

And the best way to render someone unconscious for a longer period of time probably involves head trauma.

There are times when I really feel like following up some of my Google searches with another search that says, "I'm just looking this stuff up for something I'm writing, I swear!"

• Agree 1

Awards