What weird things have you learnt because of rp?

SusieQ

thanks to a historical rp i was on eons ago i not only learned the latin versions of the lord's prayer and hail mary, but i also learned how a noble's will was structured. 

thaffbutton3.png

Not necessarily weird but...

Alcoholic drinks - I don't drink much personally, so my personal experiences are pretty limited. But I have characters that like to drink! So had to get my research on!

I've learned a lot about historical periods that I probably wouldn't know anything about if it weren't for rp. I also know more about pregnancy and fetal development than I will ever need to know.

But I think the best thing that I learned because of rp, or at least, the strangest, is the fact that belladonna is not only a deadly poison, and used in some cosmetics, but that it is a hallucinogen.

• Like 1

affiliatebutton.png

Some must be warriors that others may live in peace.

Oof. I've learned quite a bit, but it's so hard to put it all into a list format! Plus, most of it is either deviant nonsense or completely useless, trivial knowledge lol.

Off the top of my head, I've learned: 
•Basic first aid, as well as how to cauterize a wound and what kind of thread is used for stitches.

•How to pick a lock, what a bump key is, the fact that bobby pins typically won't work and that if you're serious, you need a lock picking kit.

•How to unlock a door with a credit card. (I've actually used this to get into my apartment in the past lmao.)

•The effects of insomnia and what can happen if one goes concurrent days without sleep.

•How many mental illnesses manifest in every day behavior (not that I've really played any mental illness but the ones with which I'm most intimately familiar, I don't think I have the stones to do them any kind of justice).

•How anxiety will physically manifest in conversation--which is something I knew on some level, I think most people do, but writing encouraged me to pay it special attention.

•How to clean and load a gun (even though I've literally never shot one in my life).

•Several political and personal philosophies to apply to a range of very, very different characters.

•Spanish. I'm still learning Spanish. I'm literally taking for college credits now.

•Life in Central America, particularly in Venezuela.

•Some film history.

•The history of the punk movement in Houston, Texas--inasmuch as there was one, it wasn't very big or very popular. 

•I've found and enjoyed an uncanny amount of music based on the playlists I make for my characters. Seriously, my taste changes like crazy every time I get a new concept in my head.

•How a car's motor works, and how one would put said motor into a car.

There's just... There's so much. This is far from complete.

Edited by slowsadmariachi
  • Like 1

1768993049_lssig.png.528ca56ae06dad54600991b2a8d34cf9.png

Some series and movies
various religions and races
old lifestyle
Mythology
fantastic breeds

• 3 months later...

1. That I will take home the procrastination trophy every time

2. That your writing style can improve with passion & interaction

3. I've learned a lot about graphic design just from RP LOL

A recent example would be that in order to calculate how long a journey would be from point A to point B in a medieval fantasy setting, I researched medieval transport and likely ended up spending far too much time doing so.

However, I completely forgot to account for Wyverns, which were a species in the setting...

KvrAHBW.png

Fodlan Chronicles - A Fire Emblem Based RP Forum
Home | Getting Started | Affiliation Guidelines | Advertisements

Various lore and mythology around the world. Medical terms/procedures and my favorite one being various history of highland scots in America during the wild west.

How long it takes for a broken arm to heal. 
Fox life, temperaments, mating, family, food, etc. 

Channeling spirits. 
Runic symbology. 
Nicknames in other languages. 

Reality is an illusion. 

How rabid foxes behave - remembered reading the post above. There's definitely more that I'll certainly remember later.

Shady McShaderson

Recently, I did a bit of research on the silk road, the hierarchy of hospitals, the founding of archaeology, and what sort of things are in the British Museum of Natural History- this was for heist purposes XD.

Edited by PixieMegs
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have a character who is a graphic designer, and I've probably researched TOO MUCH about popular typefaces of the era.

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985

I started realizing interests of mine I didn't realize I had. I had no idea I was a foodie. I love food, love pictures of food, love looking at recipes. I never really knew.

I also learned to type because of rp.  I was a finger typist, and some how during the first few months of rp I began to use the keyboard properly. I'm pretty proud of it.

use this one kat.png