Character Name Indecision

Alex

My friend and I are creating the matriarchs of a family of elementals, and I've been a bit stumped on the name of mine. The surname is Cardinale, and they are of Italian descent. The face I want to use is Carolina Sanchez, and she's going to have power over water as a naiad. We've narrowed the names down to Carmina, Liana, and Narcisa. We've tested them on How to Pronounce, and they all sound great, but I can't choose!

• I read this! 1

Ho hum, it is a tough choice.  My vote would be for Carmina, though.  I love me some alliteration and 'Carmina Cardinale' has a nice ring to it.  Plus the name means song and, to me, that complements her water-based powers.  Makes me think of sirens and such.  That's just my two pennies' worth! ~

• I read this! 2

aff.png affiliate.png

Ever wanted to explore Middle-earth?  Check out these wanted canons.

What about Attack on Titan?  Go here!

To begin, 'Cardinali' is a gorgeous surname!  (I am in a similar predicament with my own Italian character.)  Having digressed, both 'Carmina' and 'Liana' are plant-related forenames.  'Narcisa' seems more connectable to your lady, given the humanistic customs of early modern Italy.  In Greco-Roman myth, we know 'Narciso' (Narcissus) died after staring into a pool of water because he spurned the advances of the oread Eco (Echo).  Sirens lured sailors to their deaths by their seductive voices, which makes me immediately connect Narcisa to a naiad.

You could also employ a historical tactic through using one name as a 'spiritual honorific' (a papist saint?), yet calling Miss Cardinali by a 'secular' appellation.  Should her surname be what it is because she is haughty, Narcisa might be the former?  There did live a South American woman Romanism venerates:  Narcisa de Jesús Martillo y Morán.  Liana, depending upon you and your friend's decision, may be short for Roman 'Aeliana' (diminutive of ['Aelius'] ("sun")); Roman 'Juliana' (female form of 'Julian,' ultimately derived from Latin ['Jupiter'] ("sky father");  Roman 'Liliana' ('Lillian,' probable diminutive of ['Elizabeth'] ("my God is abundance")).  An Italian canonized nun Giuliana also existed:  Giuliana Falconieri.

Liana has been seen as an elaborated usage of 'Lily,' too.  Spanish Liliana of Spain is largely masked:  Liliana of Cordoba.  'Carmina,' feminine version of 'Carmel', got contributed to Marian veneration--a symbol which Carmelite clergy in Israel attributed their titular namesake.  Like @Ulmo said, 'Carmen' means "song."  Carmel means "garden."  Cardinali alternatively denotes a forebear that conducted their self in a lordly way, dressed in red, played as a cardinal on stage, or served in a cardinal's home.  Liana, hailing from Juliana or Lillian, fits the other etymology.

Ending, thy name choices can be pet forms of the lengthier denominations I have looked at.  Best wishes to you and thine friend, @Alex!

Edited by Jacob
  • I read this! 3

Thanks guys, and wow Jacob, that's some deep insight into the names! I'm still a bit torn between Carmina and Narcisa, but I may go with Narcisa just because of that little myth makes sense.

• I read this! 2

14 hours ago, Alex said:

Thanks guys, and wow Jacob, that's some deep insight into the names! I'm still a bit torn between Carmina and Narcisa, but I may go with Narcisa just because of that little myth makes sense.

You are quite welcome, madam!  I am always glad to help!

• I read this! 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oi, I get name indecision ALL THE TIME.

That said, Liana Cardinale has the nicest ring in my head (and it's the ring that I usually go for!)

Good luck!