Adopting your Character's habits

Crea

Have you ever sat around, doing your RPing and come back to reality and found....you started acting like your character?  This isn't just pinned to sitting upright for a character who is more proper or anything...but more...

I have a character, she's a vegetarian (she'll eat fish).  The other day, I went grocery shopping, tried some new stuff and realized...I really like eating vegetarian...oh god I'm my character!

Please tell me I'm not alone on this...

• I read this! 1

Definitely not alone. I'm also playing a couple vegetarians, and while I don't consciously try to follow those diet choices, I do find myself thinking terrible thoughts about eating meat on occasion xD 

I've also got this horrible habit of going shopping and looking at clothes that I'd never wear in my own style, but...it reminds me of a character and makes me want it. Same with jewelry and basically anything else they might like. 

Well considering I only play animals ... No.

However I have noticed that my characters have certain traits from me. Like I am super shy in real life, and some of my characters start off shy, quiet, reserved. It takes awhile for them to trust, same as me. Preferring instead to sit around and simply watch the events going on around them than interact with others.

szKNk6.png

If you ask me, the best of characters will have at least a touch of your own personality.  They can be fundamentally different than you, but I find that no matter how hard I try to make the character as far away from myself as possible they always end up having something in common with me.  Be it their dislike of asparagus or the way they walk.  Sometimes I find myself talking like my character would, or thinking about how they would react in a situation that I am faced with myself.

I find it pretty fun to go back and look at a character you've either retired or simply don't play anymore.  It's like getting a glimpse of yourself from the past.  Almost like reading an old journal or diary.  If you ask me, creating your own characters and developing them not only helps you get to know your character better, but you also get a look at a part of you that you may not have seen before.  Maybe you didn't know that you loved to dance in the rain, maybe you didn't know that have a lust for adventure (even if it is in moderation and perhaps is filled by RPing the same character who showed you it in the first place), and now thanks to your character you do know that side of yourself.

Ivyclan Forever ♦ The Fandom Gathering

What's funny, I think, is that after years and years and years of playing characters in leadership roles, as soldiers/warriors, and in some form of law enforcement, that's totally what my life goals are. My ambitions are SO much bigger than when I started writing - I might even be more ambitious than some of my characters. xD

I may not want to destroy an entire royal lineage or take over any countries, but hey, I wanna be an Air Force pilot and after that, either go into Law Enforcement or something similar. :P I think those dreams are pretty big for a lil' girl like me!

I tend to have my characters adopt my own quirks and traits. I have always been an animal-roleplayer and I am an avid hunter and fisher and such and I love getting back to nature and living off the land. But I think that part of my nature is what has always driven me to roleplay animals.

• I read this! 1

...I have a TMNT megablok toy on my desk at work, Michelangelo specifically, because one of my characters is a HUGE TMNT fan. I've been meaning to check out the comics, and I saw some of the cartoon as a kid because my brother was super into it, but they're not one of my fandoms. However, when I saw the toy and that the store had Mikey, my character's favorite turtle... well, I couldn't help it.

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• 1 month later...

I always, whether subconsciously or consciously, create characters with some aspect of myself in them. It makes them much easier to play and relate to. 

That being said, I have an overly...cocky character that is definitely suave in his words, and rarely stutters when speaking. I've caught myself acting, or speaking, like he would and it's the funniest thing because I am the complete opposite. 

I think it's the funniest part of rping.

On 1/8/2017 at 10:11 PM, winterphoenix27 said:

I've also got this horrible habit of going shopping and looking at clothes that I'd never wear in my own style, but...it reminds me of a character and makes me want it. Same with jewelry and basically anything else they might like. 

YES! It's awful. The worst part is that wish is super affordable so when I see a $2 necklace that one of my characters would love, it's a challenge not to get it. But, when I'm out I see stuff that my characters would wear/buy all the time and I have to resist the urge. Just because they are a voice in my head doesn't mean that I'm gonna look good in leather...

• I read this! 1

muEzlN.jpg

I can't say I've ever picked up a habit from my character, like mimicking their diet choices. Although sometimes it has happened that I might think to do something more often because a character I'm playing or interacting with does. For example, I like drinking tea but I often forget to because I'm just lazy- but @SusieQ's characters all drink tea and when I see it happening in RP with her I'm usually like "Oh yeah, I should go make myself a cup."

It does happen though that if I'm like, trying to think through something from my character's perspective that I might physically react as they would. If I'm walking to/from school or just going out on a walk and am trying to think through a problem they're having, then I might unconsciously start walking like them. For example, I play one character who frequently walks around with his fists all bunched up (because everything makes him mad :3) and so if I'm thinking through things from his perspective then they probably seem pretty annoying, and my fists'll bunch up too, which is a fairly normal thing for a person who's annoyed to do.