People who left lasting, positive impressions

xexes

All of us have horrible horror stories, but let's hear some of the uplifting ones!

Is there a particular person who really was your mentor?

Who really helped you out of a sticky situation?

Someone who shaped your view of roleplay positively?

Someone who has just been there for you?

Tell us the story!

Please do not use any real user names, real names, or @userReference's

• I read this! 3
  • Cheers 1

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

I have to say that the first buddy I made after the AOL years of my RP life has certainly made an uplifting and positive impression on me. She not only has been my dearest friend, but it seems when all else is falling apart I can count on her pull me privately to the side and write. This last summer when I just couldn't deal with admin life and had my own life just in a darkish spot, we started writing "fan-fic" of our favorite RP pairing from the board we met on. It was nice to just hide and write with her and have zero guilt or stress about posts that I may have owed elsewhere.

Not only that, but this person and I have real plans to meet this summer that second week of June!

• I read this! 1
  • Love 4

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

I would mention here my first administrator, who had the patience to explain to me various things I did not understand about the differences between a RPG and a story written alone, and one of my writing partners of then, with whom I kept in contact all the 8 years since then. I respect them two a lot for this.

• I read this! 1
  • Love 2

My good old friend Takar would likely be that person. Had it not been for him and I would have likely given up right when it all started. I was as n00by as you can get, with all of the clichés you might expect from a teenager. Except, I was in my early twenties already. Despite being a Faction leader for a very busy Star Wars site way back when, he gave me a hand and explained to me how things worked. Sure, he was a asshole to most people, but we always got along. We were like two peas in a pod, and I miss him dearly. Some of my most enjoyable stories were made with him, but sadly the site was deleted and he lost the muse for the whole thing. He still tried getting back into the swing of things, but he has found other interests. I wish him all the best. I really do.

• I read this! 1
  • Love 2

I had a roleplay buddy back in 2010 when I first started trying it out via actual forums. I was a brat back then who created many cliches, wrote like a toddler, and probably messed up many plot points for him. He'd helped me learn the basics, coached me when I did wrong, and acknowledged when he noticed I got better at something. Almost ten years later, he'd said he was surprised with how mature I'd gotten because we had just started writing again after three years of on-and-off rp messages back and forth. The amount of pride he as a mentor felt made me proud of myself, and grateful for having him.

I still write with him to this day, and I look forward to learning even more from him in the future.

As far as sticky situations...well, he defended me against ban-happy admins more than once, and advocated me for a staff position on the writing team of an RPG (which I quit four years later) so he'd been my right hand when it came to community stuff. I was - and still am - a pretty solitary individual...though I try very hard not to be. In a way, he's been helping me with that too I guess. It's not that I'm shy, I just don't enjoy giving my all for a stranger. Heck, I let down my friends a lot of the time by accident despite doing just that. There's no use trying to put in effort I don't have...that sounded bad didn't it? Jeez where did all this rambling come from??

Point is; I'm grateful me and my rp bud are still friends, and for all he's done for me. I don't think I've ever met another writer willing to do so much for such a self-serving brat. :P

• I read this! 2
  • Love 2

• 1 month later...

I had a friend who was up until very very recently a very positive influence overall.

He first joined my site six years ago and when we started our writing was, alright but together we sort of pushed and challenged one another to be better, develop our writing skills and characters on a whole new level. When things first started out we wrote together but didn't really get along on the surface he can kind of be an asshole until you actually get to know him.

On top of challenging me as a writer we chatted every single day and he was the one person I felt like I could be honest with. I wasn't scared of scaring him off or losing him as writing partner because we just had such a good bond. 

I like to try and bond with all my writing partners but sometimes you just can't and this was definitely special.

He was usually the first person I went to for advice or ranted to if I was having trouble with another writer. He could always make me feel better, or laugh/smile. 

Sadly after 6 years of friendship, he had some trouble with people from another site recently and he just up and vanished on everyone without a goodbye or an explanation even me. So I'm pretty sad about that but I am happy with the memories. 

FIND ME AT 

4FPvLy.gif jQhijW.png

@Crossroads Demon

That kind of connection is very special and also on the rare side. I'm so sorry you've lost one. I love being able to connect that way with a writing partner/s, however,  the norm in recent times is much more 'fair weathered' which is sad.

Edited by Dusty
  • I read this! 2

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

• 4 weeks later...

There are two writers who I have known who have been good friends. One who always had the ability to cheer me up when I was down. We are still sort of in touch, but they don't come online much now, and I do miss them. The second person was someone who always replied every thread we had and always tried to play fair with everyone (something I try to do.) Writing with her was always a pleasure because even when she can't get around to everyone you can always trust her to get around to you the next time she's on. She never causes drama and never gets drawn into arguments which other people seemed to cause. Without either of those two, I probably would have left rp a long while ago.

Edited by Icewolf

I have known some incredible people through this hobby, which to me, is more of an expression of passion. Passionate about the games, the stories, the characters, and the people!  When I first started playing, there were a group of writers that came to form because we all had a shared like in one another's characters. We played those stories for a few years, but they always stayed with me because there was such an investment in what each character would do or become. Outside of character, we would send one another birthday and holiday wishes. It was then I knew that my favorite part of this passionate hobby of mind was sharing time and creative energy with great people. Where ever those people are, I thank them.

Now, I am blessed beyond measure with these incredible bond with someone I met in the last year plus nearly two, who has radically redefined not only key components in a favorite character because of their style, but become an important person in my life. I feel as if I have known them for as long as some of the other friends I have of five and ten years, and am grateful for them.  Nearly two years has shown me more than double the time with others.  What we share beyond words are lives of our families, and in game? Wow. Just the ideas and things we learn from one another.  Means the absolute world to me. Proof positive that you never know where your or someone else will  surprise you in the best way. 

NewSig.png
Welcome to the City of Destiny

Wedding Season 1797
Forming Families Among the Rumors and the Joy
Will you ally for love or money, business or pleasure, peace or war?

• 11 months later...

I had quite a few. First three I met through deviantART. The first one taught me how to write (he was from Puerto Rico, I believe, and was fluent in Spanish and English. He had the best poetry and prose I had read at the time and was a true inspiration). He showed a bit of tough love as well as positive reinforcement. Later on, I met a young woman from England who was always drinking (I'm not sure why). She was quite fun to be with. Barely slept, worked hard, wrote a lot, drew a lot, et cetera. She liked to joke she wrote better drunk (and it was kind of true - or at least she somehow had less spelling errors when drunk). To date, she's the only I've had where I've finished the most long RPs with. We wrote them like books/movies. After that, I asked someone to join me at a forum (my first forum) and one of my followers on deviantart said "sure!" We became good friends but in the end, it didn't go so well. The first two drifted apart from me.

It took a few years after that to find my current longterm RP partner who - amazingly - can write more than I do. We have about 50-60+ threads for one of our stories and we just started up another to do at the same time. I can always rely on him to commit to a thread/plot. He's also the only one I argue with a lot. I'm not sure why that is, but I'll blame it on his zodiac, lol. (; Recently, I am meeting other partners who are pretty amazing as well. :)

My roleplay soulmate has left a lasting impression on me, even though she's dropped RP. In the time we spent together, we created so many magical worlds and dramatic story lines. She wrote characters that made me laugh and cry, that made my heart wrench or made me want to hurt them for being such assholes. She had a wide repertoire of character types and an unending supply of characters, plot ideas, world ideas... She was bursting to full with creativity and I found myself beyond lucky to be able to write with her. She brought that out of me, too, I feel. I also felt like we were perfect writers together. We didn't have to discuss plots at length. I could tell her what I had in mind, using a brief idea and she would take it and flesh it out into something that not only matched what I wanted but surpassed it. 

I love her, she's my best friend and one of the most talented writers I know. And I know that out there in the real world, she's going to make some lasting impressions and differences in whatever else she decides to pursue! <3

Reality is an illusion. 

I have met some amazing people through RPing but my favourite person is someone I've now been RPing with now for over 10 years, most of my plots are with her and we literally make each other laugh and cry most days because of it. Luckily enough she made enough of an impression on me that I ended marrying her!

• Love 1
  • Cheers 1

WibBanner.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Every single person from my teenage years who stuck it out with me despite my shitty personality back then. A lot of them have since left the RP scene, but still love them for liking me and putting up with my teenage angst.  I had like maybe only a few friends due to my crappy personality back then, and miss my old friends who have since moved on to other things. Most do not use Discord or Skype either that I know of. 

Thank you to them.

• 1 year later...

I once met a writer I really clicked with, and our characters clicked even more because we had such similar writing styles and we posted super-fast. While everyone else seemed to be steeped in inter-personal dramas and spats, she and I had a really simple friendship where we'd just talk about our characters and general fun life stuff. Eventually we decided we were all we wanted from this RPG, so we left and created our own RPG for just the two of us and our characters! XD We enjoyed it for about a year, but then life got in the way and we fell out of touch~

She's a lovely memory though, and I think the only online person I ever told my IRL name to!

• Love 1

• 1 year later...

My first, best, and longest online friend, who was much older than me when I first met him - to most in my circle he's like a beloved, drunken uncle who pops in to make the family gatherings that much more exciting - but to me he's more like a much older brother. If it weren't for him and the work that he did way back when in the late 2000s, I'd never have gotten as far into writing as I have. His posts were always so intricate and immersed me in worlds of his imagination so deeply I couldn't help but be enraptured.

He's gone through some hard times, and he's just now started to come back around very regularly, and I'm very, very glad for that. Life isn't as bright without him around.

• Love 1