Have you ever been blocked by being inspired?

Morrigan

• Admin

So some people use the term muse and that's interchangeable with being blocked or not (writer's block that is). When you have muse you are unblocked and when you don't then you are blocked. I know many people don't like the word muse so I just want to explain what I mean here before I continue. I may use the terms interchangeably.

So that being said, I recently got a lot of inspiration for any idea that I've been blocked on for a while but I have so much inspiration I'm blcoked. I have no idea how to put the inspiration into words. Sadly it's also blocking me from any other writing that I'm doing. I'll sit here and focus on something else and write it and my mind will wander back to where I'm the most inspired and just sit back at my black.

Have any of you experienced this and how did you focus yourself enough to really get unblocked and get back into your grove?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I have! Very much so! And you know what I do? I read a book. I go for a walk. I go see a movie. I draw. I paint. I do everything I can to get it out.

The word muse for whatever reason became a bad term to use, but damn it that is exactly what it is! Every person and writer is different. My former admin was a machine. I mean a freaking machine. She could go work out her ass, cook dinner, be a mom, wife, daughter, friend and then at the end of the night (or early morning) open up that box and write a book. I once asked her how she did it and her quote to this day still stays with me:

"I don't believe in having a muse, I just put those words to work." 

And I couldn't agree more.

I flash this image around a lot and if anyone follows me on the D knows I do, but it really really really helps.

2c1393da887db9fd72227bcb86905860.jpg

I think also a lot of our block is guilt. Like we feel guilty for wanting to do something else when so many people are expecting this of us, but you know that brain baby of yours is super important!

So. In short: Clean your work space, sing in the shower, and make those muses werk bitch! 

• I read this! 2
  • Thank you 1
  • Great Idea 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

not really but if i do feel myself not having muse i generally take the day off just to relax and recharge my muse and writing.

Guilt is a big one to block inspiration. I sit here with a broad idea that has me excited BUT other things around me, or people around me give me the ... 'I should be doing...' thoughts, and in the end, I don't do any of them or get my writing done either. 

Another one is worrying I am going to mess it up. I have this exciting idea, my writing partner thinks so too, and when I go to write it, nothing flows. I end up overthinking it instead of just letting things come out onto the page and worry about the editing later.

I love the image above, and the shower is one of the best unblockers for me. I just need a waterproof notebook!

• I read this! 1
  • Thank you 1

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

This has happened to me so many times! I've got an exciting idea for a new character or plot, and then I can't seem to focus on the ones I already have. It's very annoying, and usually means I try to find a way to put my idea into life as soon as possible so I won't have it gnawing on my brain. 

If I can't do that however I find jotting down my idea to help, as then I will feel less rushed to get it into life as the danger of me forgetting it lessens. Cleaning also helps, there's just something about getting away the clutter that helps clearing the clutter from my mind as well. the picture @Bishop linked mentions all of my ways of getting the block to disappear, and also gave me some new ideas! thanks! 

• Thank you 1

sig.png