DIscord and JCink?

Lady Isadorabelle

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this. I wasn't sure! Anyway, I've been poking around Discord API because I want to create bots to pool all wanted ads from different sites for easier access for myself and my staff. The problem is that my coding experience is with the visual aspect of coding. I'm great with HTML and CSS, but I'm a little lost in the woods like red riding hood here when it comes to trying to do this. But, I know it can be done, I've seen it on RPG-I's Discord.

Can somebody help me to grandma's house and away from the big bad wolf?!

muEzlN.jpg

I'm not familiar with Discord's API or how it works... (or how the feat was achieved here, best to ask @Morrigan on this one for precise info) so I could be wrong on this. So just to be on the safe side you may want to temper your expectations. I say that because this may not actually be possible on a Jcink forum (RPG-I is a self-hosted IPB 4.X forum, not Jcink, so it's capabilities are different). 

If the API pulls post content with RSS then it may be doable. But if it uses any other method (like actually connecting to the database via a mod) then it can't be done because you (the admin of your Jcink site) don't have access to the database that way nor can you upload any mods/files or access the source code of the forum itself to make any changes that may be required to do this. 

"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

Right, I was hoping that it was RSS based since I can't do anything more with JCink like Morrigan can with The Initiative, but I just don't know enough about that, you know? When it comes to skinning I'm awesome, but this kind of coding just...whew. lol

I just don't know enough and can't make heads or tails of the help content.

muEzlN.jpg

Yeah PHP coding can get tough in a hurry... It's a whole other level of crazy.

I've done a bit more digging though and from what I can tell, based off the webhook info... RSS won't work because you have to get the webhook url from Discord and put it into the forum (accomplished by a mod that is set up to format the outgoing posts to how Discord needs them). The forum then sends content via PHP's POST method, not RSS, so it has to be done via a mod.

"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I tried PHP once. Once. I actually cried.

I appreciate you digging, I wasn't even sure where or how to start. That's cool, I guess the world isn't ready for that level of awesome. Someday...

muEzlN.jpg

You could always try submitting a feature request on Jcink's support site. It shouldn't be too difficult for Jcink to accomplish (he has a pretty good idea what he's doing). And I know he's pretty receptive to feature requests.

• I read this! 1

• Admin

@VirusZero is correct it requires direct access. It's done through OAuth types of things to get the connections. The mod itself we are using here is this one:

https://invisionpower.com/files/file/8457-discord-integration/

It may be something you want to request from John and see if he's willing to put forth the effort to get the integration in there as that would be the person that could implement it.

Sorry though @Lady Isadorabelle

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

5 minutes ago, Lady Isadorabelle said:

Oh that's a good idea! You're all smart and stuff

^ What she said.

Brilliance. <3

• Thank you 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!