Times You Borked Up Your Coding

Josie

I'm not going to lie, I bork up my coding all the time. It happens typically when I'm coding late at night, which is basically always.

I get really frustrated and start talking to my code: "Why the heck you actin' like that? Huh? Who authorized you to do that? It certainly wasn't me! Where do you think you're going? Get back here!"

And then after we fight for a while I realize that nothing is showing up how it is supposed to because I made the thing an id but wrote it in the HTML as a class.

Amazing.

So! What are some times when you've borked up your code?

• LOL 2

By putting in a pic behind the categories and having no clue how to change the text colour so I can see it through the pic *headwall*

• I read this! 1

Every single time I coded when I was tired.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

Having missed a ' or something,  more recently it was that a position was missing from a part of the css on a template I made.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

• Admin

What are you talking about? I never mess up my code.....

Okay, maybe sometimes but don't tell anyone.

I always save backups of my code so I can hide my mistakes as quickly as possible. However I've borked things a lot. Doesn't matter if I'm wide awake, sober, tired or not sober. I fuck things up all of the time! It's why I love things that tell me when I've borked things as it saves me a lot of time.

I can't remember a specific time that I've done it but I am like @Gothams Reckoning and I will talk and swer at my code when it isn't cooperating. I get near table flip all the time.

• I read this! 1
  • LOL 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

On 2/23/2017 at 10:01 AM, Gothams Reckoning said:

And then after we fight for a while I realize that nothing is showing up how it is supposed to because I made the thing an id but wrote it in the HTML as a class.

Guess who did this all weekend?

• LOL 1

• Admin

@Gothams Reckoning Morrigan? <33

• I read this! 1
  • LOL 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Little context... in MyBB when working on a plugin you have to follow a specific naming scheme for 5 functions or else things won't work. The scheme is pretty simple... if your plugin is named file.php then you have to include file_ in front of those functions. If not named this way it will prevent your plugin from showing in MyBB for testing. So most people just put the name on every function for uniform consistency. 

There are also set calls you use to add parts into MyBB so you don't have to make core edits. 

Last time I was working on a plugin, for whatever reason I had named my function "list_admin_forum_modules" because I was adding a link to the sidebar on the left in the forum settings... Except I added an extra "s" and it was throwing errors in all kinds of places. Once I figured it out it stopped throwing errors there.

But that just means I now can find the other errors.

Yay.

• I read this! 2
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I do pretty much exactly what you do, except with more colorful language. 2am in the morning, I'm tired, I just want to finish up [insert whatever] before I go to bed and it's "What the ****? Why the **** are you doing that? M*****f****r! Son of a *****!!!" growl.

Well, you get the picture. Typically when most of my language is profanity I end up calling it quits because I'm too tired. Then, I come back to it the next day and realize that I forgot to close a div. Yeeeep fun times.

I find that making little mistakes like typos in the class or id name in the HTML is a pretty common mistake for me, but surprisingly, it's forgetting to close the div that is it more often than not!

• I read this! 1
  • LOL 1
  • Preach it! 1

muEzlN.jpg

Once upon a time I deleted my skin while trying on another one. If it hadn't been for John being able to pull it from my backup I wouldn't have been able to recover it. At the time I was just starting really and used Bonbon's templates sure, but damn that was hard!!!

• I read this! 1
  • Cheers 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

Using a premade skin and putting a lot of time into it so it's looks and feels exactly what you want for your site genre, only to find out it's seriously flawed and much of the expected essentials had been removed and had to be put back in.

It's going to take too much time to start over since you wanted the site up and running by the end of your vacation (and you are not confident enough to code from scratch) but now you are limited to what you can add to it because of these underlying flaws in the code. 

Oh, let's do this! ...board breaks

How bout this? ...board breaks

That's a great idea, I'll test it out ...board breaks.

Runs away from the computer screaming!

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

There's a property in the default MyBB theme, white-space: nowrap.

I learnt what it does after I frowned at a div that just didn't want to end.

Leaving off the border style is a favourite of mine too.

• I read this! 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've had a habit of not transferring names from CSS classes and ids over to HTML properly. For example:

.forums-holder

becomes div class="forums-holders" and you know what happens then?

THINGS DON'T WORK

I've done that before.  I sometimes think I need to go and copy each class name from the CSS and paste it in the HTML so I know they match.

Profile graphics by @Lirschen