Character Habits?

kaydrew

Hi there! I find it interesting and fun to incorporate quirks and habits into my posts. I think it helps flesh out the moment and the character. However, I sometimes struggle with the best and natural way to slip them in. How do you manage to showcase your character's habits within a post without it being distracting to the overall writing? 

This island had ears so revealing everything all at once was not a smart move. There was a need for elements of surprise when dealing with Pan.

It may help to figure out what would initiate a habit in a post.  For example, let's say your character flips her hair out of her face.  If you have your character flipping her hair out of her face every two posts, it's going to be obnoxious.  But if you can figure out why she subconsciously does this action, you can better link it to the writing.  Maybe she only flips her hair when she's annoyed and she doesn't realize that she does it.  Now you don't have her doing it every two posts; she does it once every few threads, and it reads more naturally.

WoL___dark01.png

Like @Uaithne said! If you connect the character's habits to certain emotions it will be much easier to write them, and they will flow more naturally. I would also say they are a great way to show what emotions your character is feeling as well, and emphasize how they feel. Be consequent about it, and think about how it can affect other people's perception of your character. If your character often bites their lip when nervous it is a good hint for other characters to use when picking up on their mood. Also think of how does this habit affect other things, like someone who bites their nails often will have bitten down nails and maybe avoids wearing nail polish. 

I have for example a character that fiddles with the sleeve/edge of his shirt whenever he is nervous or uncomfortable, especially when faced with people who he doesn't want to be near. It's a way of fidgeting, and it does a good job of conveying his mood and the fact that he is naturally a jumpy and high-strung character. His shirt also has frayed sleeves and hem because how often he worries them with his fingers. 

Example: 

"Jack averted his eyes from the man in front of him, instead letting his stare fall to his feet. Shoulders hunched forward as he tried to shrink into himself, hands fidgeting with the frayed hem of his shirt. Opening his mouth he tried to gather the courage to speak, but the words seemed to escape him."  

• I read this! 1

sig.png