Does your character have siblings?

KARA BELLA

Two of my characters do and their siblings are played on site. I think the rest I just assume are only children.

I would say the majority of my characters have siblings.

Out of my current characters, all have siblings ranging from two to five.

Of those characters, I have two who are directly related as siblings.

KvrAHBW.png

Fodlan Chronicles - A Fire Emblem Based RP Forum
Home | Getting Started | Affiliation Guidelines | Advertisements

This made me realize most of my characters either have no siblings or a large number of siblings.

Of those that do, 

Heidi has an older brother

Mateo has five sisters and two brothers (though one of those brothers wishes he didnt)
Mathis is the youngest of seven
And Safiya has an older half sister, and younger full brother

Huh. You know it's funny, I hadn't really considered this, but none of my present roster do. I had considered leaving room for an unspecified sibling for my main in his history, and technically it's still a possibility, but there's no drive to pursue. I won't be making an adoptable or anything. I think, for me, I want the people in my character's lives who are really important to them to be other PCs, people I have no control over who can shape the developing story of my own in continually unexpected ways, and for that reason I tend to shy away from attaching background characters to them that they'd feel any strong connection to. I know, I could put those characters up as adoptables, but that would, to me, still feel like trying to exert more control than I really want on who matters and what happens to these people.

I have a relatively balanced spread. One’s an only child and on the other side one has a handful of brothers. :3

Only one of my current characters has no siblings, which checks out. Only 10% of kids are typically only children.

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh gosh yes, I've hve many characters with siblings that I often put up want ads for on the site I'm currently on! I adore sibling roleplay themes! 

• 2 weeks later...

I often tend to write my characters as only children, which is weird considering I myself have a sibling that I'm very close to. I think it's easier to plot and cause chaos for your character without the idea that there's someone that would be worried about them/angry at them. Which don't get me wrong can actually make for some good plotting. But farrrrr in the past when my characters did have siblings, there always seemed to be OOC drama leaking from that and so I've just... Mostly avoided it since, even if it's not a conscious decision.

A lot of mine do and often they are NPC's unless I can get someone to play them. Three of my characters have family that are very close though not all are siblings by blood. The interactions are cool.

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

Most of mine if they have them ( a few do ) they are NPCS.  I prefer that. I do not mind if someone wants to have a tie in with any of my characters but it is usually friends or a distant relative. Close Family ties tend to be NPCS.

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

I've played a lot of characters over the years and out of about ... 25 that I can recall? 15 had siblings and 10 did not. There were a few times where I left it open-ended enough that the character might have siblings, but none were directly mentioned for various reasons. 

I think have siblings in a character's history can be beneficial to helping shape that character's personality -- sometimes providing them with motivations for certain characteristics/traits/skills/desires, and additionally, keeping those connections open can lead to others picking up those sibling characters and building a family with your to rp with on a site. One of my favorite kinds of plots is sibling plots where a pair of character that grew up together, and are played by different people, have an opportunity to interact.

• 4 months later...

One of my characters is the eldest of four - the only boy with three sisters.

All of my characters do currently, actually! Two of them have one sister each, and one has a half-sister. All of them have complicated relationships with their families, also... Some more dramatically than others. The sibling dynamic can just add a lot, I think. 

OrielBannerBigger.png.a2ce06c92c5f48951844c258d418d92a.png

A Gilded Age 18+ Original Fantasy RPG

Site | Lore | RulesGetting Started | Discord

My characters almost always have siblings or big families! I find it helps when plotting, and I love a good themed family or family centric plot. 

Colonel Brandon - No living siblings, unfortunately, but his estranged relations John Thorpe has just become next in line to inherit Brandon's estate if Brandon doesn't have a son. John has five siblings so now the Thorpes are active fixtures in the Colonel's life as they try to throw a wrench in his budding romance. 

Henry Crawford - Two sisters, one of whom he is extremely attached to. They are both cursed and are floundering their way through the world of Gothic magic together. 

Phryne de Lancret - Only child, the exception to the rule, though she has a handful of cousins. She's on the run and hiding from her family, but has found herself married to a man with a ton of siblings who all depend on him (and now her fortune). 

Reuben Kroftmire - He's the eldest of four with five cousins, the Quartermaines. While the two families are exceedingly close, they bicker about the proper way to do things. The Quartermaines are adventurers. The Kroftmires hate scandal. The men of the families battle constantly over control of The Invisible College (their intellectual adventuring club).