Does your character like his or her name?

Dusty

We'll go with a couple of them.

Iago likes his name. Even if it gets him 'like the bird?' comments half the time. He predates the bird, thank you very much. But he was named after his grandfather, Santiago, even if he only got the short version.

Paul Oxley goes by Ox, though, I don't think most people who meet him ever know his actual name. He refuses.

adorable lion GIF

This is admittedly something I've never really thought much of in all my... geeze 14 years of roleplaying?

Only two come to mind for definite answers:

Azriel never really cared for his name, in fact he went by 'Azrai' for some time because he was drunk one night and stammered when someone asked his name. Then decided it sounded better than 'Azriel'. Plus, he was in hiding at the time, if I recall.

Dalton likes the way his name rolls off the tongue. 

• 4 weeks later...

My main character, Mayterial Droz, has switched names so often when it suited her that her own name is something like coming home. Being able to let her guard down a bit and just relax. Lately that name has been tarnished by getting involved in shady business using her real name. She's looking to make amends and wants that feeling back.

Mayterial Droz

Captain

fawkes.png

• 6 months later...

I'd think she does. I think it suits her and she probably likes her name more than others which to her seem a bit too proper in her mind. Meg, is just a fitting name.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think so! It's a little bit unique without being so outlandish that it's hard to share. She takes some comfort in that. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think any of my characters don't like their names. Maybe some might go with nicknames over their full given names sometimes because it's easier and less formal?

• 6 months later...

My main OC used to hate her name. She felt she had no right to it, because she thought the legacy and the people she belonged to were long gone. Classic case of rejecting her identify because of some weird, wild guilt of something that wasn't really her fault but believes was her fault.

Only when she realized citizens were being enslaved and that she had a legal path to becoming their ruler and righting past wrongs, she embraced her name and wears it proudly. Although she is married, her husband moonlit as the most elite wetboy of the empire, therefore she did not legally take his name, nor did he takes hers as is typical for the culture while they were ruling.

Unfortunate events forced them to go their separate ways for safety, but she still affirms she is a married woman and on occasion introduces herself with her husband's last name, or hyphenated with the imperial name of the family she was adopted into.

Tlaloc, my love...

• 1 year later...

I have one character named David Bowie. 

His parents genuinely didn't realize what they were doing until it was pointed out after it was too late. 

He doesn't mind, too much, but he does like to emphasize that his family name is like the knife, not for the musician. (Nobody listens, everybody sings at him)

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

Newton is pretty into his name, though I imagine he was teased a bunch as a kid for it. But at this point, he's heard lizard jokes so many times, it just rolls off.

• 5 months later...

Matthias likes his name, suggests Matti as a nickname, and will absolutely not respond to Matt