What's up with your roleplay? How are things, what are you dealing with?

xexes

@Zahhy I second what @Elena said! Having a hyper active admin can only be helpful in my eyes. That also helps attract new members, because there's a friendly and active presence to welcome them. Plus, what's wrong with being too involved? You know everything that's going on and, as a storyteller, isn't that the ideal situation? As long as it's not a strain on you, keep at it! Sounds like you're doing great :) 

In regards to NPCs or PCs, do what you think is best. More PCs means more potential plots for others to get involved in, right? Don't scoop up all the canons just because you can though - keep the enthusiasm and effort you've got going! Just don't let more characters interfere with your staff duties. And if your site has a character limit, don't ignore the rules just because you're an admin, either. Do what feels best for you, and then what's best for the site. 

• I read this! 1
  • Thank you 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

Cry Wolf turned three, so that's a big thing.

We're doing our anniversary shop, which means I get to hoard a single type of rare character slot just to confuse the hell out of everyone else when I have 50 unused slots JUST IN CASE.

Plus I think we figured out our next big event, so I'm pretty pumped for that.

• I read this! 3

I've been an admin on a Marvel superhero site for nine years and although we could beef up our membership with new blood, we're going along pretty well. But after 9 years, I've grown bored with the superhero/comicbook vibe and plotlines, so I'm branching out on my own to start a different site.  This is the first site I've started up; the one I'm an admin on, we sort of inherited after the original admin became bored with it and drifted away.  

The one I'm starting is supernatural/horror with Lovecraftian overtones, and I'm limiting the playable characters to only human. I know that may limit the players I'll get but I don't think I can get the atmosphere I'm going for, one where the supernatural is a mystery, if some of the characters are vampires and werewolves and demons etc....  Not to throw shade on the sites with vamps and weres as characters, I've played on a couple, and the vibe of the site has always struck me as a Real World RP but then giving the characters bonus abilities. They usually wrap themselves up in the same problems and concerns as RW sites: finding relationships, hooking up with other characters, making friends,  -  they just 'oh by the way, I drink blood' or 'I turn into a beast on the full moon but the rest of the time I'm normal and go about my normal life'.  Which is fine, but that's not what I'm going for with my site. 

• I read this! 2

Well I'm working on my survival rpg - got a tonne of work for my co-staffers to do, namely proof read a tonne of stuff because my wordsing isn't good but 'eh' if its all ready for tomorrow we're good. If it's not there's new features anyway and the big new feature will be announced! 

adminuserbar.png.71315bfc91f356787fd0e77311e6f224.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've just reopened Valour after closing it for a year due to not having enough time to run it and I'm super excited to get it going again!

However, I've noticed a trend of returning members not reading the new lore even though it was specifically stated in the invitations I sent to them that things have been changed and updated. So I have had to pend a handful of applications over the past few days. I've also had more people not follow racial naming conventions than follow them which is pretty frustrating because I hate to have to ask people to change their character's names when naming conventions were stated blatantly in the setting lore. Whyyy don't people read the info given to them? o:<

On a more positive note we've gotten a couple of new members already that I'm really looking forward to writing with!

• I read this! 1

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

• 3 weeks later...

I recently opened it to joiners, but it is not complete yet. I was quick to get some first members that joined as soon as I began to advertise. So there is hope and interest out there for it. That makes me push harder for others to know it exists in case they want to give it a try. The members I have are very active and already roleplaying. I did have a friend who said they would join, but haven't. They are still active on our old site, so there is some disappointment there. It's a long road to gain members in a currently struggling genre, but even a nice small community would be nice. I look forward to seeing where it goes and how far I can create it. 

• I read this! 1

I found a really cool premade skin and transferred the CFS into HTML templates (Jcink). I'm super excited to use it.

• I read this! 2

WoL___dark01.png

My site's coming up on its 6 month anniversary! It's so exciting!!! It's about a week and a half away and we're planning some fun surprises for our members new and old. We're going to do our first OTM's, have some IC goodies, and do a raffle. I even made new ad images and a new affiliate button to liven up our image!

We also just started our second event. Our first one went a little rough in that it lasted 5 months. And as a site that depends on these events to move the plot forward, finally getting into our second is a big deal! We've made some major amendments to how we run events, and so far this one is moving much faster and smoother than the last. Plus, everyone seems a lot more excited about it. And now that our staff is more familiar with running them (we use some heavy mechanics behind the scenes as it's more of a tabletop style forum rp), we've got some crazy fun planned for our writers that are involved. 

• I read this! 3
  • Cheers 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

Personally: One of my characters graduated and I'm trying to figure out how to let her do what she wants.

Site-wise: We have a couple of new members and one is really active. The last even of the school year is happening, and the summer camp is opening. :)

• I read this! 1

ccbutton.png

“And just what’s unacceptable behavior? Snogging?” She started laughing. “Oh, Merlin, Tim, we were snogging, and that’s so unacceptable. Besides, according to basic math, wasn’t he doing a hell of a lot more when he was in school? After all, you do seem to exist outside of my imagination.”

I want to thank my members somewhere they're not going to see it. Not because I don't want them to know but because I don't want them to know why.

Backstory:

The last 3 weeks have been extremely difficult on me. My best friend and someone that I thought was going to be a part of my life no matter the circumstance left me. If it sounds like a breakup, honestly it feels a little like it. A lot like it. We were in each other's lives for 15 years. Every forum we ran, we ran together. We gamed together. She was my maid of honor in my wedding. Just. Everything. 

A lot happened. I found out she was being terrible to several of the members on our site. People close to me, people I should have listened to, told me over and over again that she was manipulative and not so nice and I didn't want to see it. 

It all came to a head early on this month. With little more than 30 words, she ended our friendship and left the site. Her goodbye on the site was longer than her goodbye to me. I'm still bitter. 

But the members on my site have been amazingly patient and supportive. I haven't told them everything behind the sudden change. If they're her friends still, I don't want to influence them one way or another. But they've been crazy active, supportive, and they check in on me from time to time to make sure I'm okay, because I think at heart they know something happened. 

3 members in particular have stepped up and helped me finish information that my ex-friend and I started but never got to finishing for whatever reason. There's been more forward motion on the site than ever and I just. I cannot thank them enough. Any of them. The three helping me, or the rest of the site.

Even though I can't outright thank them, I'm doing my best to roll out things I think they'd enjoy. I'm doing my best to listen to them and their concerns, and make sure that they all feel comfortable playing and partaking in the game when some of them didn't before because of my ex-friend and the things she was doing. I wish I could do more but I know I'm doing all I can. They know that too and I just appreciate them so so so much. 

If if any of you have ideas of how to show some sort of appreciation, please let me know. I'm open to any and all ideas. 

• I read this! 3
  • Love 1

Our group is doing pretty good. It's recently reopened, with lots of characters open, and we're still looking for members to join.

• I read this! 1

tumblr_static_6ivdjzzdht44oow80s8gwo44s.gif.f8f02728c35f7b252d20ab38eb44cccb.gif

Wow @Gina that's so heartfelt! I'm so sorry that you had to lose a friend, but I'm glad your players have been wonderful to you. <3 Don't forget, you always have us here at the Imitative too! *hugs*

Such a supportive story reminds me of how Sirocco is doing too!

We're finally recovering after our admin shift and the loss of many major players. With some help from the few remaining active members I've been able to not lose myself to the sadness of not having a huge player-base anymore. Everyone that remains has been really supportive, and we've even had two new members for the first time since January! I have amazingly high hopes for the coming months. We're having so much fun getting things back on track and starting new plots that I'm so enamored with the site all over again.

• I read this! 2

I have no muse to write and right in the middle of a time when I'm trying to get my site back up. I wish muse was a switch you could turn on and off. 

• I read this! 1

NksejyY.png