Why did you start rping?

i was a voracious reader when i was very young, and i fell in love with stories and storytelling almost immediately. i've been writing pretty much ever since i learned to operate a keyboard; at first i wrote little drabbles and snippets of fiction that i would keep to myself, but i eventually tired of that. i did some google searching and happened upon my first roleplay, on some small wolf forum? i don't remember what the name of it was or what the premise of it was besides that haha. i ended up stopping for a couple years before taking up forum rp again three or four-ish years ago! in any case, i'm really glad i started roleplaying, because it's given me a really great outlet as well as a means of developing my style and falling in love with writing again <3

• Love 1

Harry Potter did it for me! I had read a ton of fan fiction, I was probably about 13 at the time, and I really wanted to try my hand at it. I did a few times, and through that community, I found people who introduced me to role-playing! I found that writing with others was SO much more fun than writing by myself!

• Like 1

I've been attempting to write novels since I was nine or so, though let me tell you, I cringe now at my attempted epic Harry Potter inspired fantasy stories (I was also nine when I discovered HP, so it was definitely a gateway). When I was thirteen/fourteen or so, we finally had a computer with decent internet (read: not dialup), and so my time spent on Neopets no longer made our phone bill outrageous, freeing me up to discover the "Role Playing" discussion board. The rest, as they say, is basically history.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I got roped into rp in middleschool. I had a friend who was constantly writing, although she rarely ever showed anyone her stories, even her friends. She got into play-by-post rp somehow and insisted that I join her. I remember being very resistant to the idea, as I did not have practice like she did and was rather insecure about my writing ability. I very briefly played on a few lil' forums she joined and/or made, I don't remember. And by "very briefly" I mean like...one or two posts. I was very uncomfortable writing with strangers, so instead we rped over an instant messenger. I think...it was MSN messenger? I don't remember, but we color coded the hell out of our lil' posts. I rped one-on-one with a couple of friends for a few years, and that infected me with the rp bug. Over time I tried other forms of rp and made my way back to play-by-post, where I have happily stayed.

goShaveYourGiantHeadOfSmellWithYourBadSelf.png.330cfee24df61fd4cc42c52e66e63ab6.png

It was some free for all fantasy forum on eZboards I think? Not really sure what I was googling to find it, but I loved reading and writing as a kid so it seemed like a fun thing to try! I was about 11 at the time (so around 2002) and aside from a couple breaks between sites dying, I've been rping ever since.

Honestly?

I saw the RP boards on Neopets and thought it looked fun.

Now BRB while I repress the memories of the sorts of characters I used to write.

• LOL 1

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEWCKgBEF5IWvKriq

• 2 weeks later...
  • Operations Mod

I played on several different athletic teams for the school rec league and private leagues. We traveled all over the state for tournaments and I had some kind of game or practice every day of the week. Lived in a ruralish area so it was a half hour drive or so out to the rec fields  - in summary we did a LOT of driving. 

My closest friend's place was a 40 mile round trip and my parents rarely felt like making that kind of a drive so we could hang out and most of the time I didn't want to leave the house either after all that travel. So discovering role play  gave me both a hobby and a way to interact with people - with the added bonus of most of the interaction being via text because I actually kind of hate talking. 

Edited by Dragon

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

I started so I could reconnect with the world and meet new people that I normally never would react with.  Thank you for share your thoughts so that I can read them and get to know you  as a group better. 

I feel like this is a quite simple answer for me. I've always loved writing and I was obsessed with Warriors when I was 13, so when I found out you could create your own character and play them out in a collaborative story... yep, I was sold. Been hooked ever since.

I got into it through friends that already did it. they were like yo we're like writin cool stuff and crashing universes together for funsies, theres like final fantasy in our matrix in our lotr, come hang, and I was like aight sounds ... weird but aight. don't regret it. that first universe was this weird conglomeration of multiple fandoms, and we did some crazy stuff, and it was terrifying in hindsight, but lmao

I stay mostly for the ppl tbh. like the writing aspect is fun and worth it by itself but then u throw in other people's ideas and the fact u can make friends with people on the other side of the world and get to know other cultures and stuff, just by having fun together, its pretty great. if I had to be bluntly honest, rp communities have gotten me through some tough times just by existing and being there to distract me from life's bull, and I'm always looking to build or find a community feel when I'm looking for a site.

that which does not kill me, had better run; because now im pissed.

You can find me on Simprovise

I was looking around the different AOL chatrooms and found a Lion King one.  I love the movie.  It took a little bit to figure out what they were doing.  But, it was fun once it got rolling.

Issy - 20 year veteran roleplayer.

The interaction from other writers is what I usually thrive on. I can predict exactly what I will say and how all my characters will act because I am the one who stands behind them. On the other hand, writing with others makes things far more unpredictable and exciting, and is one of the biggest driving forces behind my role-playing.

1541415216_g6cTMDv(1).png.8ff5c7c1ce372dd5a0682e397b94d4fd.png

Sometimes, I like to say I've never NOT been role-playing. I can't remember a part of my childhood that didn't have some form of pretend play or fantasy in it, and so most of my 30+ years of life are rather full of some form of RP or another. Escapism from family dysfunction, a need to express my creativity, and companionship are probably my main reasons for continuing to role play. It's my sanity. And my support system. 

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD

I was homeschooled with my schoolwork online. I had a friend that introduced me to it and I found worlds outside of my house lol. I had the one friend because she lived down the road... but other than that, it was just me growing up... and rpg. It went from something to do to a bit of a creative outlet. "I aspire to inspire before expire", a hippy in rl so playing bad boys is my way of causing trouble and venting stress... and they become beloved pieces of me. 😄 I do it for the IC drama these days. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lo Fidelity

Peer Pressure. A friend who was one grade ahead of me (sooooo cool) shoved a composition notebook in my hend and said "we're all writing, you're gonna write to" and I don't pick fights with girls I like. 

It all mostly worked out in the end. For example, I'm very popular. Go Peer Pressure! Whoo! ;););)