Why did you start rping?

I started roleplaying because I had friends who did it.  We used to jump into AOL chatrooms and rp stuff like Buffy. It was all lame one-liner posts, but those were my beginnings!

• Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

I love writing so RPing seems inevitable. It started as a way to practice my writing and to express myself through different characters. Then as I gained more experienced, I realised how important it was in helping me learn to shape the plot and character relationships.

• Love 1

Advent Destiny - a Gundam roleplay

ad_banner1.png.6b7377d8cd59b5bf9b96416790d23fb0.png

I started roleplaying when I was maybe...13? 14? I remember spotting Wolfquest and thinking 'man that looks like it'd be so much fun to play!' Never mind the multiplayer aspect, I just wanted to raise wolf family. You had to wait for your account to be activated before you could play though. I resubmitted like 10 times before finally giving up, I just didn't get a verification email. I started looking for something similar to play and my search took me to Feral Heart.
Now that wasn't a game like I'd been thinking...I was totally lost as to what the heck everyone was doing when I joined the server. Someone explained to me that it was called 'roleplaying' and boy, it was on. I fell fast in love.

• 3 months later...

13-14 years old on Neopets forums! Cringey days to say the least.

EDIT: Was so tired I forgot the WHY part. When I first started, the fact that someone could direct the other half of the story was fun as hell. I didn't know what would happen next!

Edited by Santa Verda

Because I have had a lot of pain in my past and I needed to have an escape something that would focus me on good things.

I had always wanted to write a novel or something significant, but had simply not complete a project just yet. When I first stumbled upon the idea of RP, I was vaguely aware of the concept of D&D and similar role playing, but this felt like an opportunity to write something, and get some sort of feedback through the replies. In the end, I found that it was actually very entertaining and could create unsuspected stories, and that it was much more entertaining than solo writings.

oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

I started Rping because I wanted a fun outlet to have some fun within the universe of a fandom. I loved writing fanfiction, but there was something fun about actually getting to play out things. 

• 1 month later...

I started rping when I was 10-11 and had just moved to a new town.    I hadn't grown out of playing pretend, but everyone in my age group had (or at least did a really good job of pretending they had).   When I discovered the internet, I somehow stumbled across a wolf game forum and just joined in.  

• LOL 1

• 1 month later...

I was an only child and both of my parents were full time working individuals so I often came home and was alone. I would read books a lot, draw, play video games, but I missed a form of social interaction. So I joined a few websites and made friends, but it wasn't until I joined AOL/Yahoo chat rp sites that I started to get really excited because I could create characters and play with other people. And then when I moved to forum posting, I fell in love with writing and eventually wanted to create things which led to me creating my own stories.

But yeah, I guess the main reason I started rping was because I was lonely... 

I started roleplaying because I was a lonely 12-year-old with little else to do, which makes me quite sad looking back! But I still roleplay to this day *because* I have other things to do. RP is a lovely way to take a break from a busy life. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I started off with actual writing before I ventured into roleplaying. I need more immediate gratification than authoring gives or I get super unmotivated.

• Agree 1

ad_base.png

• 3 weeks later...

I was an outcast as a child. I just was never talkative and I never got to vibe with people. I played games a lot and I wanted to be someone else. So roleplaying came first as a literal childish play, which was then played through dolls, then my old friend from back then and I would make up some scenes from our favorite fandoms and then write about it together. Ahhhh, good times.

I continued because I've learned with time and experience that life just sucks at times and you gotta make it better for yourself somehow. This helped my writing skills and I also couldn't stop coming up with all sorts of ideas. Roleplaying is a great hobby and it just keeps me sane. Of course, one needs a good balance in everything in their life.

bram stokers dracula GIF

• 3 weeks later...

It's been so long, I don't know what initially made me look into RPing. But I found it to be a nice escape from the stress and anxiety I feel with every day life.

D&D was the step of storytelling after LEGOs.

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

I pretty much started mainly to make some friends and feel a part of something. It worked for awhile but those friends later became toxic to me personally so I called them out on it. I lost them but am a lot more careful. I do a little now every once in awhile.