Why did you start rping?

It started as a random thing between friends at school, next thing I knew I was writing more and more as a hobby and the rest is history, basically. Though I don't rp nearly as much as I used to. 

• 1 month later...

I've always loved writing, so when I discovered that I could write with others who were just as nerdy and passionate, I was hooked!

• Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...

I often don't have the attention span / skill to make an interesting enough world so when somebody suggested I try RP to have a buddy to write with I figured "Why the hell not". And while most RPs still die a premature death, it's at least a lot more fun this way

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started on Horseland and it was so fun to be something I wasn't, and a horse at that - a wild one - and it was so much fun fooling around with my friends on AIM group chat.  Having no care, people joining on the drop of the hat, and the drama/events we came up was so epic lol

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the Harry Potter books and didn't know what to do with myself. Found a website where you "acted out" a character in the HP universe. Voila! I was a roleplayer then. 

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985

I started by accident. I  don't remember what I was looking for on Google, I just know that I ended up at a LOTR name generator. From there, I stumbled onto The World Called Hollow, a real-time RP site with a medieval fantasy setting. I created a character using the names from the generator (Larewen Iseng) and added a last name that was generated from playing Might & Magic (Dragana). 

And that is how I ended up with my beloved OC of nearly 17 years: Larewen Iseng Dragana.

Gonna sound a little weird. I started because my mom stuck me in the backroom of her store in my early teens. I had nothing to do but mess around on a windows 95 computer. Ah, those were the days. I ended up in a tavern chatroom one day and I've never looked back. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

BFDTRIAL.png.529db59dba91cf02803411f1d464de5d.png

• 3 weeks later...

Oddly enough my younger brother had a friend in school who had his own rp site. This nerdy little middle schooler twenty some years ago ran his own. He invited my brother to join and he did. I caught him doing it one day (nosy older sister that I am) and it seemed interesting. So I sought off to find one I could join (joining a site my younger brother was on was so not an option back in that day!) Been doing it off and on for twenty some odd years now.

• Love 1

Platinum and Pearls

a real life rp set in a fictional version of Monaco

advertisement.png

• 1 month later...

I started roleplaying as a pretty young kid. I was still of the age in which I LOVED to play pretend with friends, and writing stories with people on the internet was a way to combine my love of reading/writing with playing pretend. I'm pushing thirty, and I guess I am still clinging to that love.

https://passingstrange.net/images/misc/passingstrangebanner.png

• 4 weeks later...

I finished the Harry Potter series when I was 12 and had no idea what to do with myself after. I kept looking up Harry Potter fandom stuff online and eventually stumbled across a roleplaying board. The rest is history I suppose. 

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985

I fell into it by accident. I was looking for a text based browser rpg. I found one that encouraged roleplaying, and though I had looked into it before a couple of times I got serious with it and stepped into the pool.  Prior to that the bulk of my writing had been stories with the occasional collaboration.

This happened around 18 months ago and now I am wondering why I didn't get into it earlier.

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

Because I thought the 'roleplay' discussion board on Neopets was for discussing console and PC roleplay games like morrowind and neverwinter nights and such. When I realised it was text based 'play pretend', it ended up being my go to way to funnel imagination and write stories when my RL friends grew out of doing so ... yeah. Guess I never grew up.

I started on a few old forums back in the day because I was already interested in writing. I continue because there is nothing more rewarding than putting out a thread that feels unique, interesting, and fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly? Because it was cool to do everyone I knew had been doing it and I just wanted to be cool. I mean I was in middle school lol

My friend invited me to join one and I decided why not. Glad that I did because rping has been a long time hobby of mine.